Where do you live in Chile and Where would you PREFER to live?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

john

Re: Where do you live in Chile and Where would you PREFER to live?

Post by john » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:13 pm

regioncentralX wrote:Just remember, many of the appealing smaller cities and towns can become unbearable during the summer. So for year-round living, ideally a place that does not receive the bulk of the summer crush but still has access to the amenities of the general area. Also, the type of visitor the area attracts in the summer is important (yes, being a little classist here) in terms of the culture and behaviors that are temporarily imported.

Campo isolation is nice but what about the logistics and cost to get to the nearest gov offices for tramites or Correos/Tur-Bus Cargo/Chilexpress or supermarkets with decent selection and prices or perhaps just a movie theater.
How about Limache or Olmué?
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm

john wrote:
regioncentralX wrote:Just remember, many of the appealing smaller cities and towns can become unbearable during the summer. So for year-round living, ideally a place that does not receive the bulk of the summer crush but still has access to the amenities of the general area. Also, the type of visitor the area attracts in the summer is important (yes, being a little classist here) in terms of the culture and behaviors that are temporarily imported.

Campo isolation is nice but what about the logistics and cost to get to the nearest gov offices for tramites or Correos/Tur-Bus Cargo/Chilexpress or supermarkets with decent selection and prices or perhaps just a movie theater.
Really, really hot in summer. Olmue also fills with tourists. But if you build a Chilean style house with a nice deep veranda and have a pool, not bad.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:26 pm

I have lived all over Chile and every part is so unique and has good and bad depending on your needs, point of views and preferences. I come from Canada and think the south of Chile is highly over rated. Once again, it's my point of view. If I wanted a green forest type scenery with lakes I have that back home with a ton of additional benefits that the south of Chile could never offer me.

My favorites places I have lived that are worth mentioning are as follows;

1) Valle De Elqui
2) Vina Del Mar
3) Vitacura
4) Chicuero

My list of most over rated places include:

1) Valparaiso
2) Chiloe
3) Algarrobo
4) most of the south

I'm sure everyone's list will be very different, and that's the beauty with Chile, there is something for everyone.
Living the life!

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:52 pm

At the one extreme you have got Santiago, which has nearby an international airport, good medical care, jobs, a large choice of schools, nightlife, easy and cheaper fast internet, and so on. But of course you have smog, traffic, and all the other bad things of a big city.

At the other extreme you could live in the desert or the mountains or the far south of Chile with pure and clean air, a large amount of space, cheaper housing beautiful nature. But further from hospitals, the airport, jobs, schools and so on.

What we're doing is taking a kind of half way house approach. We live in the Talagante area which is in the countryside and we have a parcela but I can get to the airport in 30 minutes, or Las Condes in 50 minutes, if I need to. There are one or two good schools, but far fewer than Santiago of course. The internet is cell phone/USB modem or 1MB/s from Netland's tower. We live surrounded by trees, and mountains, and yet there is nowhere where there is any real nature area free of human habitation apart from steep hills and mountains. I rarely get stuck in traffic, but I also rarely see a true open road with no car in sight. There are plenty of shops and banks in the town 5-10 minutes away, but it's 30 minutes to the nearest mall.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:07 pm

I look at this way, at least in Frutillar and around most of the Lake, that I can be stuck in traffic for 30-60 mins to go from point A to point B in Santiago, or I can be driving for the same amount of time on a mostly empty highway to actually go somewhere like the airport, puerto montt, osorno. When I get there, there is no two hour line like there would be in Santiago. Really I can get most everything I need in town.

The tourist crowd is a real issue for about two months a year, then the town is mine. Really thinking about something more remote, on a dirt road (santaigo crowd will freak out about even a good dirt road), to get away for the summer months. I hide in the country side outside of town now anyway.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

john

Post by john » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
john wrote:

Really, really hot in summer. Olmue also fills with tourists. But if you build a Chilean style house with a nice deep veranda and have a pool, not bad.
You're quite right about the heat in Olmué (and the tourists) in the summer months. I have a Chilean friend who lives there but his house has a lot of shade and so the heat is not as stifling on his property...he also has a pool.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

libertad

Post by libertad » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Lots of great responses here. I appreciate everyone's input. I think the ideas on "livability" (e.g., a decent market for food, decent hospital within a reasonable distance, etc.) are well worth everyone's attention.

The thought about the small cities getting pounded with crowds in the summer time (e.g., Pucon, Frutillar, Concon, many others) is also a key point, since it affects livability and pace of life in such a crucial part of the year.

Thanks again for the keen thoughts and insights.

chuck jeronimo

Post by chuck jeronimo » Sun May 01, 2016 10:40 pm

I liked Arica. I would coinsider it again if/when I come back to Chile. In a way it's sort of like living in Peru since you have to go for hours south before you hit any good sized city. I liked Valpo. Don't know if I would want to live there again, mostly because I wouldn't want to be there in an earthquake. Patagonia is out for me. Nice place to visit but I sure would not want to live there. I guess somewhere within a couple hours of Stgo. would work best for me now.
"...the artiste formerly known as Chuck J. 3.0..."

Fishboy

Post by Fishboy » Mon May 02, 2016 12:20 pm

I live in Antofagasta (+ves = sea view, desert, salares, altiplano, ocean, 10 min drive to work; -ves crap/overpriced housing, pollution/contamination, cost of anything if the bloody things are actually in stock)

I'd like to live in the south (countryside near Villarrica or Puerto Varas) so my boys can grow knowing rain, trees, rivers and lakes.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Mon May 02, 2016 11:10 pm

20 minutes from Puerto Varas is where our property is (we currently live in Puerto Varas, renting) but are building out on the farm in September, and will head back out there, we are also subdividing off Parcelas, we have 20 to go at the moment. This is not your typical Loteo, its a lot more than that.
As for the second question, nowhere else in Chile, love it here, our farm is close yet far, easy connectivity and not on the busy side of the lake.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue May 03, 2016 3:11 pm

MJSaywell wrote:20 minutes from Puerto Varas is where our property is (we currently live in Puerto Varas, renting) but are building out on the farm in September, and will head back out there, we are also subdividing off Parcelas, we have 20 to go at the moment. This is not your typical Loteo, its a lot more than that.
As for the second question, nowhere else in Chile, love it here, our farm is close yet far, easy connectivity and not on the busy side of the lake.
Lechero, so you no longer milking the cows?  What ever happened to the vast property you were developing?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue May 03, 2016 3:37 pm

I've never done it myself so I may be talking rubbish but I would have thought living in a really touristed (is that a word?) place could work quite nicely if you do it right. I mean, these places are touristed for a reason.

The first thing I would have thought you would do is chose your property (whether renting or buying) quite carefully. You want either out of town and perhaps not right by the main route, or if you are in town, you want to be off the main street and through route, and down a side street where no tourist would ever go which might be quite possible even very near the centre.

Then the second thing is to go around all the shops in December including a massive bulk buy at the supermarket and hardware store for everything you could need until March. Then just chill our and relax.

When I've been somewhere in February and the locals are saying this is horrible, I hate it, it is still not even as busy as a normal day in Santiago.