Where do you live in Chile and Where would you PREFER to live?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

libertad

Where do you live in Chile and Where would you PREFER to live?

Post by libertad » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Hey all,

Its been a while since my last post, but my family and I continue to have connections in Chile and continue exploring the idea of a spending a significant part of our lives in the Country. To get a better idea of where current members of this form currently live, I would love to have as many people as possible respond to the following simple queries:

1. Where do you currently live in Chile? (Town or region, not looking for your address :wink: )

2. If you had to live somewhere else in Chile, were else would you live and why?

Looking forward to responses and any other opinions on where you've lived / would like to live in the Country. Note that the questions are more geared towards actually "living" in a location versus simply a weekend vacation or the like.

Peace and blessings to all -

Shea

seawolf180

Re: Where do you live in Chile and Where would you PREFER to live?

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:39 pm

1- Pichilemu, Central Coast: For year round favorable climate, campo, lifestyle, surf, relative security, proximity to the Capitol, and the south.
2. Lake Region; For exceptional beauty, fresh water sources , angling, lifestyle, relative security.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 pm

seawolf180 wrote:1- Pichilemu, Central Coast: For year round favorable climate, campo, lifestyle, surf, relative security, proximity to the Capitol, and the south.
2. Lake Region; For exceptional beauty, fresh water sources , angling, lifestyle, relative security.
1.- And the purity of the air and ocean water is excellent year round here on the coast away from industry.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:08 pm

1 & 2 are the same, south of Puerto Montt, but on the peninsula close to the coastal highway.

As admn has pointed out several times, PM is the last city where major services are available. If you are out in a frontier area and an accident happens, it is a long way back to get help. For us education was important, so where do you go to find a quality school with a good climate? North of Puerto Montt is also nice in some respects, but to each his or her own. We can visit the theater in Frutillar, or have coffee and chocolate in P. Varas, and still be back in the evening where it's quiet and you can see all the stars. Tall forests, native wood houses, cows out to pasture and luma del rio for fence posts - not painted up for tourists, just real.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm

I live in [comuna] in Santiago, and I also work in [the same comuna]. I wish I could live round Lampa or Buin or Cajon de Maipo, as my fiance works in Buin, but either way my commute would be twice his current commute if we moved to Buin, and if we moved to to Lampa or Talagante, we'd both simply have unreasonable commutes.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Q1, I live about 30 minute/km East of Curico in Potrero Grande. Work in Curico.
Q2, Wish I lived in my friends home about 2 km away in El Yakal, it's better than mine (huge smiley face)

john

Post by john » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Q1 - I live in Viña del Mar, Central Coast.
Q2 - Really haven't given it much consideration. However, somewhere along the shore of beautiful Lake LLanquihue (possibly Puerto Varas or Fruitillar) would be a desirable alternative. Rustic lifestyle in a spectacular (alpine-like) setting. Being close to magnificent Teatro del Lago would be a big plus.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Something I've noticed, at least since I started following the forum about two years ago, is that the north end of Lago Llanquihue--Puerto Octay, etc.-- is rarely mentioned. Nothing worth talking about, or just coincidence?

libertad

Post by libertad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:02 am

Great responses. I hope we hear from others. For what it's worth, while I don't live in Chile now:

1. Lived in Valparaiso in a prior life. Loved the people, art, ocean, energy in the streets...and looking out ar the sparkling cerros each night. Did not love pickpockets, lack of trash collection and grime.

2. Where would I live if/when I return? Not sure! That's why I want to hear from those who are there and have experiences to share!

Have spent great and enjoyable time in Valdivia, Villarrica, Pucon, Frutillar, Futrono, Chiloe, La Serena & Elqui Valley, Santa Cruz and quite a few smaller towns. There are so many incredible places in the country, it can be difficult to know where to put down roots!

Please keep the responses coming...!

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:52 am

1. Valdivia
2. House in a forest near Valdivia

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:21 am

Let's see, currently Frutillar.

I have lived in:
1. los condes ---- rather sterile urban living

2. Central Santiago, on that park in front of Museo Bellas Artes --- the area has a lot more character with the restaurants, bars, university. --- not bad as urban living goes. I had a dog at that point, and living directly in front of the park where there was sort of pack of dog owners that would stand around and chat as the dogs played was nice.

3. Temuco ----- it was o.k. when I first got there, relatively small city; nothing special however. Uncontrolled urban growth killed what little it had going for it.

4. Vina del mar ---- Not much of an ocean person, and the city is rather boring. Kind of an extension of Los Condes. Kind of sterile urban living on the coast.

That said, all of the above were fairly large urban centers, and I don't think I would live in any city of any size again in Chile for any length of time; or at least not as my primary residence. I simply don't like cities, anywhere in the World. Still, due to work and other commitments I find myself spending way too much of the year in Santiago. Sometimes months out of the year. Which we will likely be finally forced to rent an apartment in Santiago this year, just because we are spending too much time up there for work. Staying with family, friends, or hotels is getting old. In any case, I am doing it kicking and screaming, and have been dragging my feat about it for well over a year. I don't even want an office there, even though we could immediately make more money. We have been within a few days of renting an office in Santiago for like 5 years now, and I just can't bring myself to do it because it means spending more time there. Think I will finally have to resign to the fact it has to be done.

If I had to pick somewhere else, I think might go for something more up in the mountains, a bit more remote, but still within an hour to town, airport, and so on. Not so remote I need a bush plane or a week to get there. We did spend about 3 months years ago in Futaleufu. Futa is nice, but it is a small town in the Patagonia with all the related logistical issues. Great for vacation, a summer, but don't think it really is for everyone wanting to live there all year around. Spent a few months in Pucon years ago, really did not like Pucon. Villarrica I always thought was a happy medium between Pucon and Temuco.

My next property purchase will likely be something sufficiently large that I can not see my neighbors fence line. In the Lakes Region. More towards the mountains, but downwind of volcanoes. Preferably at the end of a road to nowhere.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

regioncentralX

Post by regioncentralX » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Just remember, many of the appealing smaller cities and towns can become unbearable during the summer. So for year-round living, ideally a place that does not receive the bulk of the summer crush but still has access to the amenities of the general area. Also, the type of visitor the area attracts in the summer is important (yes, being a little classist here) in terms of the culture and behaviors that are temporarily imported.

Campo isolation is nice but what about the logistics and cost to get to the nearest gov offices for tramites or Correos/Tur-Bus Cargo/Chilexpress or supermarkets with decent selection and prices or perhaps just a movie theater.
¡ This is Sshiile Weon !