whoa! New front page is too complicated!

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

susiedillon

whoa! New front page is too complicated!

Post by susiedillon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Please Admin, tell us it ain't so! This can't be the new format for the front page ... please? My apologies if someone has already addressed this issue under another subject heading, But I couldn't see it in the long, undifferentiated list of topics there !!! Actually, I liked the format that we had before the last change several months ago. Admin, its a tough job and you do it well and we appreciate your efforts but this format is cumbersome ....

admin
Site Admin

Re: whoa! New front page is too complicated!

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:34 am

yea, yea, I know. I am working on it. It annoys me too.

I use to use a plugin to display the recent posts on the front page. Well, the original creator quit supporting it, and it started crashing the front page of the site. So, now I have to mix my own. Just taking me a while as I find a free minute or two to work on it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks for the explanation and now that I (we all) understand the issue, we will have infinite (!!!) patience knowing that you are on the job! Seriously tho', your efforts in putting together this forum have provided me and I am sure, so many others with invaluable info and insights into life in Chile, and we all collectively thank you for your time and your patience in sorting out these horribly irritating bugs that occasionally try to spoil what is such a good thing.

john

Post by john » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:55 pm

susiedillon wrote:Thanks for the explanation and now that I (we all) understand the issue, we will have infinite (!!!) patience knowing that you are on the job! Seriously tho', your efforts in putting together this forum have provided me and I am sure, so many others with invaluable info and insights into life in Chile, and we all collectively thank you for your time and your patience in sorting out these horribly irritating bugs that occasionally try to spoil what is such a good thing.
Ditto!
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:33 pm

Well said susiedillon. I don't see the front page, I have the forum bookmarked on my computer and homescreened on my phones. I did have a look, it was a big blue and white blur :)

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 am

Consider the golden strategy for online sites etc invented by the likes of google, Microsoft etc and applicable to everything from the latest version of Hotmail/gmail/gmaps to any commercial website revamp. it goes something like this:

1. Start with a good product that works.
2. Pay design team to develop new piece of sh1t that doesn't work, looks horrible, and everyone hates, but supposedly works better on a smart phone, because we all know nobody wants to look at the internet on a screen bigger than 5 inches any more.
3. Receive large amounts of feedback that the new website/product is sh1t and please change back to the old one.
4. Ignore.
5. Receive even more large amounts of feedback that the new website/product is REALLY sh1t and PLEASE change back to the old one.
6. Make some changes so that the new website reverts to a few of the old features, but still keeps some of the new sh1t ones.
7. Customers eventually get used to unfamiliarity and begrudgingly accept that it is only slightly worse than the original.
8. Wait a few years, then hire a new design team...

It seems to me that the admin is trying to imitate the big boys but lacking a really strong design team will fortunately be restricted to a few minor screw ups from time to time.