The State of the States

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Andres

Re: The State of the States

Post by Andres » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:48 pm

A good article, admin.
But I reckon it misses the mark on a few points, the biggest being:
A. They are using their biased measure of what is acceptable opinion as a measure of what is "authoritarian". I suggest that ANY use of government to inflict one's opinion or control on another, whether financial, social, political or otherwise is "authoritarian".
B. As a result, they can not observe that EVERY remaining US presidential candidate is authoritarian. They all believe the government can and should surveil and control the entirety of everyone's life, which is why NONE of them proposes any curtailing of the US police state or its authority to control ANY part of the economy.
C. The tendency for the US to be authoritarian is not new, it has been steadily increasing for decades . . . one might even say centuries. And it is not solely the government being influenced by the authoritarian tendencies of its people. It is a feedback loop, where the people incite the government, and vice versa (through dumbing-down, media control and psychological manipulation, to name just a few tactics).

What set Trump apart is that he is more vocal about his authoritarian proposals, and suggests initiatives others do not.
They ALL think they have the mandate (merely by being "elected") to do anything they wish.
Trump is no more authoritarian than the rest of them.
To look at the present manifestation, it is very difficult to deny that Obama is authoritarian; it is just that the initiatives he wants to force on people is different than the initiatives Trump wants to force on people.

You had an epiphany when the Snowden files were released.
I had one when observing the US govt's response to the "Collateral Murder" video. (The US govt has much more evil intent, and is more insane, than I previously envisioned.)
And another when observing the lack of push-back to the Boston Police Department's fascist, totally illegal behaviour after the "Boston Bombing". (The American sheeple are unlikely to ever rise up to curtail the actions of a fascist US govt.)

The American sheeple will wake up only after their government collapses. Even then, I am not so sure. It might take a long time, or never.

PS: I wish, and hope, I am wrong.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:42 am

I don't have to put up with this crap. If Trump wins, I'm moving to Canada!!!! 8_0

Then also, if any of them win, moving to Canada (or Chile) is likely the only option.

I caught a bit of the democratic debate last night, and just like the last debate I caught, I turned the channel off after they answered the question, "how are you going to pay for bla, bla, bla"?

The standard answer from the Democrats is screw Americans overseas. yea, they hide it inside the standard spin line 'we are going after all these corporations and rich hiding their money in tax havens off-shore', but we all know what that has translated in to over the last 8 years. It translates in to seizing money of american's living outside the country, because there is no political repercussions. It is easy money for them, no political blow-back, and makes for a nice sound bite.

The latest law on the deck to burn Americans overseas, that Obama sent in his budget to congress, is proposing an 18% base tax on both companies and their shareholders overseas that are not taxed by any other tax. By the time that thing get's through congress, I am sure it will turn in to the other post-FACTA (find all Americans money) and FAST (and take their passports away) shoe to drop (e.g. seizing american's assets overseas). The one in their sites now is they are going to go after the earned income exclusion for Americans overseas. From what I understand there has been several attempts over the last 5 years by a group of democratic senators to outright eliminate that income tax exclusion. The other one I am waiting for is them hitting american's overseas for obama care. The white house simply said they were o.k. with Americans overseas not paying for it right now, they never said they would not go after them for it. The republicans have proved they are just as willing to go after expats as the democrats, with little more than lip service to pick up an expat vote or two.

I am not paying for fixing their broken infrastructure or for the healthcare, I don't ever use.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:38 am

Aaaaahhhh, so nice to be a FORMER USSA citizen. Four years and counting!

The only drawback is that I can't apply to work for US spy agencies in Australia. (Sob, sob.)

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Andres

Post by Andres » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:54 am

There are some that will see no relevance of this post to this thread.
And there are some who will.

Here are two relevant quotes from the new "Rogue One, A Star Wars Story" trailer:

"This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

"What will you do when they catch you?
What will you do if they break you?
If you continue to fight, what will you become?"

If you don't understand the relevance, I pray there comes a time you do.

chuck jeronimo

Post by chuck jeronimo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:27 pm

I have a lot of posts in this thread, way back when. Not sure I want to go back and read them. States of the States? Done. Cooked. Stick a fork in it. All over but the shouting... (and Mad Max scenario's). Anyone who is still semi-functional can see here on the Death Star is not a good place to be come the next 20 or 30 years. Unless you enjoy slow-roast societal breakdown and sporadic low-intensity guerilla warfare. But would be Rambo's Joe & Jane Sixpack are 19 steps behind the FEDS. Plenty of space for them at the FEMA camps, hey, could be worse, you get fed (sorta) and have a job on the assembly line assembling plastic crap for the Chinese to sell at WalMart. If you can elect not to participate but that will go badly for you. You'll be hunted down and eliminated. Sort of a hi-tech Turkey Shoot. I can't help but think that people here are going to suffer horribly for their governments (and ultimately their) sins against other countries. And in a way I see it as fitting.
"...the artiste formerly known as Chuck J. 3.0..."

chuck jeronimo

Post by chuck jeronimo » Sun May 01, 2016 12:57 am

bert.douglas wrote:
chuck jeronimo wrote: ...
States of the States? Done. Cooked. Stick a fork in it. All over but the shouting ... (and Mad Max scenario's).
While I generally agree with you, the timing of the MadMax point seems to be difficult to predict.

As a thought experiment, consider England. Basically they have all the same problems as the USA, but worse, and with fewer resources. Perhaps they are 50 years further along the road towards MadMax. But still no MadMax.

Anyway the USA is big and nonuniform. I now live in rural Alabama, a state that never had an economic boom, so has nothing to collapse from. The population density is low. There is lots of rain and good farm land. A lot of hydropower. It is out of the way and generally ignored.

If figure that if MadMax comes, it will start somewhere else a long time before it gets here.

One troubling sign is that UPS has become unreliable. About half of my packages are not being delivered. Some drivers are entering various lies into the computer and do not bother to deliver the package. And UPS management has allowed the problem to persist for more than a year despite massive widespread complaints.
The problems with UPS are not an isolated thing. On another forum I'm on a guy was telling his UPS tale of woe. It seems they've maybe reached a tipping point as far as going criminal. They've always had theft rings in the UPS distro centers, one I remember was in San Jose, California. Supervisors as well as floor employees involved identifing valuable packages and stealing them. So I'm not surprised to hear you say that. If it's getting worse now maybe the problem is to big to be solved. Which is a metaphor for the entire country. lol. Once an apple is rotten you can't save it when it gets past a certain point.

The Mad Max scenario's: a lot of places in the USA will go on more or less "normal," by normal I mean much lowered expectations and services. Probably the more rural areas with tight coordinated communities will fare best. Pretty much the frog in the pot style though, UPS now, light, power & water gets spotty later. It happens slow and you get used to the new normal and maybe your community prides itself on things like you don't have many broad daylight gun-fights and murders.

Many places will go full retard. If you aren't leaving, choose well.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun May 01, 2016 2:37 am

I am reading sporadic reports of supplies which in the past were plentiful and available in the US are now less available.
Unfortunately, the US is such a big market, that if a product is not produced for the US market, there might not be the economy of scale to produced it for anyone. Incandescent light bulbs are an example.

The most worrying was a report on the subject regarding medication/drugs related to children's health:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/us/dr ... .html?_r=0

chuck jeronimo

Post by chuck jeronimo » Sun May 01, 2016 11:15 pm

Ok, I think I got a handle on this UPS thing now. While they've always had a theft problem, that is not the main issue. The big issue is the US Dept. of Labor forcing UPS to "Bail-In" and support the failing AFL-CIO Pension Fund. UPS was tired of the "loans" i.e. looting of the AFL-CIO pension fund so they opted out in 2005. Basically a successful business being forced to support a corrupt and failing government. That's it in a nutshell.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 am

chuck jeronimo wrote:Ok, I think I got a handle on this UPS thing now. While they've always had a theft problem, that is not the main issue. The big issue is the US Dept. of Labor forcing UPS to "Bail-In" and support the failing AFL-CIO Pension Fund. UPS was tired of the "loans" i.e. looting of the AFL-CIO pension fund so they opted out in 2005. Basically a successful business being forced to support a corrupt and failing government. That's it in a nutshell.
I don't understand.
Who was looting the AFL-CIO pension fund? The government, or AFL-CIO insiders?
If it was AFL-CIO insiders, how is the AFL-CIO . . . (which is a non-government organisation) looting its pension fund related to supporting a corrupt and failing government?
I'll grant you that both the AFL-CIO and the government are corrupt, but that does not imply that one is the other, or that they are the same.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon May 02, 2016 10:42 am

Catching a Flight? Budget Hours, Not Minutes, for Security
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/03/busin ... .html?_r=0

One of the consequences of having a government "lead" by psychopaths.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Tue May 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Andres wrote:I am reading sporadic reports of supplies which in the past were plentiful and available in the US are now less available.
Unfortunately, the US is such a big market, that if a product is not produced for the US market, there might not be the economy of scale to produced it for anyone. Incandescent light bulbs are an example.

The most worrying was a report on the subject regarding medication/drugs related to children's health:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/us/dr ... .html?_r=0

I can't comment on medicines but Walmart is having a problem keeping store shelves stocked. They used to have the best supply chain in the world but not anymore. This isn't isolated, it's widespread and there have been business articles about it.