DHL/FEDEX cost of shipping

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

DHL/FEDEX cost of shipping

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:41 pm

EEUU-san or people in the know.

Question for the savvy forumites. Wanting to know if true that a cost of shipping a Hybrid battery pack from Chile to west coast side of US amounts to us$1k and over?

Wanting to help out a person living in Santiasco who needs to ship a NiMH battery Pack weight 114.6 lbs over to California for
a battery exchange program. But according to him, the cost of shipping it will cost him over US$1k or more.

Actually, the battery pack has individual modules and according to this person there, Toyota of Chile tech saz battery has two weak modules but they won't replace the bad cells or modules individually but to replace the whole battery. So imagine the cost of buying the whole battery pack vs just to replace the bad modules. Even though I send a couple of good modules to him but the techs there do not wanting to replace them nor knowing how to. So he can not find any competitive mechanic that wanting to do this simple task according to him!

It can not cost US$1000 or more each way to ship a 115 lbs part in either DHL or Fedex? Could someone please help..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

nwdiver

Re: DHL/FEDEX cost of shipping

Post by nwdiver » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 pm

I'm pretty sure those batteries can't be transported by air, and sea transport is as "dangerous goods", 1k each ways sounds cheap............
It's all about the wine.

GJJIM

Post by GJJIM » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:49 am

Air express rates have gone up and are crazy high to/from some countries. We recently shipped a package from the U.S. to Poland via FedEx (Int'l Economy service). It had a dimensional weight of 85 pounds, but the actual weight was only 45 pounds. The cost was $1216, and at first I balked, but the customer insisted on using FedEx...

You might get a better deal through an air freight consolidator like Panalpina.

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:46 am

At those prices, it could be cheaper to fly to the freights destination yourself, with the freight as checked baggage--depending on the details. :shock:

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:01 am

Hypothetical case, based on actual prices within the last 30 days:
Round trip LAX/SCL or PMC on LAN, $850-860 for travel the final two weeks of August. Includes two standard checked bags, 50#--62" each.
Obviously this is an unusually good deal, route combinations vary, and the freight itself must be acceptable to the airline, but it illustrates the possibilities. :study:

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 am

It is lithium batteries that have the really special rules as cargo or passenger luggage. Visit the US DOT site for details. I think air courier to LA really might be the way to go at those prices.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:It is lithium batteries that have the really special rules as cargo or passenger luggage. Visit the US DOT site for details. I think air courier to LA really might be the way to go at those prices.

....and large battery packs............ those are very high ampage batteries...........
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

My u.s. shipping box went apeshit when a bix got marked as batteries by accident by amazon, untill i sent proof yhere were no batteries in the box but it was a battery operated tool. They were going to charge me hazard fees and ship it by boat. On the other hsnd i have shipped no less than 100 kilos of batteries without a problem as part of a computer, power tools, and extra batteries (thst really wre nothing but baterries in a box) without a question.

Chile to u.s. a battery of yhat size, will cost a fortune and most likly have to go by boat.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks everyone for these info forwarded to the matter. I have to investigate more for air cargo shipping charge/regulation via DHL or Fedex. Note: it is not a Lithium Ion modules but the older Nickel Metal Hydride ones for 2007 Camry Hybrid vehicle.

The voltage, if getting short circuited can be dangerous due to having 34 modules and each can discharge up to 7.8 volts but it is classified and measured to 245 volts total. The whole battery pack comes enclosed in a metal shell pics seen below and is insulated to contacts.
http://greentecauto.com/wp-content/uplo ... hybrid.jpg

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:27 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:Thanks everyone for these info forwarded to the matter. I have to investigate more for air cargo shipping charge/regulation via DHL or Fedex. Note: it is not a Lithium Ion modules but the older Nickel Metal Hydride ones for 2007 Camry Hybrid vehicle.

The voltage, if getting short circuited can be dangerous due to having 34 modules and each can discharge up to 7.8 volts but it is classified and measured to 245 volts total. The whole battery pack comes enclosed in a metal shell pics seen below and is insulated to contacts.
http://greentecauto.com/wp-content/uplo ... hybrid.jpg

Its not the voltage........... its the amps it produces
It's all about the wine.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Li batteries are a problem because of their chemistry, high amp battery packs are a problem...............
It's all about the wine.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:02 pm

OK, things are progressing pretty well. Spoke to the Tech people whom rebuild/sell Hybrid vehicle batteries and the Gal at
the place told me over the phone, the following: 1. DHL shipping no more than 7 days door to door delivery into Renca,Santiago, Chile,
Cost: shipping US$995.00 incl. $3000 insurance.
Cost of battery: US$2295.00 with new generation cell/modules installed ( Used on the 2011 on Camry Hybrid )
So it seems that my friend there in Chile will have a bonanza heck of a deal for less than US$3300.00 !
When he asked Toyota dealer there, he's been quoted at least 3 times that figure...

Now waiting invoices from the Tech people detailing every aspect of shipping+cost etc. by email so to confirm everything is legit and on its course.
Will notify forum of how it went. Thank you to all participants of this theme. Indeed..