Ebola watch

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

john

Re: Ebola watch

Post by john » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:13 am

Andres wrote:
admin wrote:We are out of war. We need another "war" on something, anything, even something we can't "fight".
The USSA has no shortage of wars.
But why not add another one to scare the masses, even if (as you say) that can't really be "fought".
After all, the "war on poverty" created more poverty.
The "war on drugs" creates more drug use.
The "war on terrorism" creates more terrorism and terrorists.
So, with their success (at acquiring more power with each war), why not have another one?
While I agree with your basic premise about US 'wars' in general, your comment that the so-called 'war on poverty' created more poverty is not accurate. The statistical facts indicate that the poverty rate among Americans between 1964 and 2012 decreased significantly…albeit, the current poverty demographics statistics are cause for concern.

Who's poor in America? 50 years into the War on Poverty,' a data portrait

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... -portrait/
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I believe the fear mongers are the schizoid MSM and our leaders. The article is actually downplaying the threat and saying that most of the terrible infection deaths are not caused by the officially portrayed virus. Again, who knows WTF is going on?
Nevertheless, the article quotes a 37 year old book with what little was known back then.

And now my rant.....

The hysteria and freaking out about it in the US just plays into the hands of the "whatever-industrial" government complex. Real information means nothing and facts and data are to be either ignored, manipulated, or misunderstood, or any combination of the three.

The US is being consumed by inteli-narcissism, the idea that everyone is somehow intelligent and capable of thought and analysis. Anyone can read and edit a Wikipedia document that may or may not be true. They can read a new story written by a supposed expert that may or may not be true and the person walks away with total knowledge on a subject. This is common among the those who failed out of school. They are the masses who are easily manipulated and that ease is made even easier by their own stupid pride. Maybe this belongs on the US sucks thread but I will keep it here.

The overwhelming and most disturbing thing I've seen in my time back in the US has been that a vast majority of people somehow think they are super intelligent and knowledgeable......but they are in reality of similar intelligence to Honey Boo's mother. Reality shows? They bring on the stupidest people they can find.......I think the most common line in every single reality show is: If .........., then we'll be screwed. I should put "reality" in quotes because they aren't reality shows, they are minimally scripted shows. They are designed for one purpose: Make the viewers feel better than those they are watching.....more intelligent, better looking, etc. And people eat them up. I swear that internet memes are created with this sole purpose in mind.

I'm in graduate engineering school right now and I work alongside Army Engineers getting their masters. I'm shocked at the same time by their ineptness and there obliviousness to their project errors. If these engineers are indicative of the quality found in our military then no wonder the military is doing what they are doing.

People are freaked out over Ebola. They are being told to freak out with fake information. Fear works good for government control. Who the heck knows what is really going on, but I'm not going to waste my time worrying about it. What I do know is that the 21 day incubation period is a guesstimate and some people get asymptomatic Ebola.

Back to the upcoming failure of the US, pride comes before the fall. If that is true then there is a great fall coming and I wonder if the king horses and men will even bother putting the US back together again.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 am

Ripsigg wrote:
What I do know is that the 21 day incubation period is a guesstimate and some people get asymptomatic Ebola.
As indicated by you and earlier by Donnybrook, some of the information has been presented as conclusive when it is only either partial or best estimates.
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topi ... ml#p145391

Even the article at the WHO website is not as definitive as some of what I have heard being said on the news.

Saliva and tears may also carry some risk. However, the studies implicating these additional bodily fluids were extremely limited in sample size and the science is inconclusive.

The Ebola virus can also be transmitted indirectly, by contact with previously contaminated surfaces and objects. The risk of transmission from these surfaces is low....

Airborne spread ..... This mode of transmission has not been observed during extensive studies of the Ebola virus over several decades.

Theoretically, wet and bigger droplets from a heavily infected individual,.... could transmit the virus – over a short distance – to another nearby person.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebo ... r-2014/en/
Some earlier comments about airborne transmission might not be correct, but I have not seen anything yet on the viability of ebola viruses left on surfaces.

How long do bacteria and viruses live outside the body? How long do bacteria and viruses live outside the body?

Parainfluenza virus, which causes croup in children, can survive for up to 10 hours on hard surfaces and up to four hours on soft surfaces.

Cold viruses have been shown to survive on indoor surfaces for more than seven days.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-long-do ... -body.aspx
So, from hours to days. Which one applies to Ebola?

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/ ... -home.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-clothes ... germs.aspx

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:46 am

frozen-north wrote:but I have not seen anything yet on the viability of ebola viruses left on surfaces.
~
well, now you have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VNoD2zh8zE

to wit...
House Testimony: Sweat On Bus Surfaces Can Spread Ebola
HHS boss admits Ebola can survive in perspiration on inert surfaces

Rep. Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky, asked Rabih Torbay, the Vice President of International Operations for International Medical Corps., if somebody on a bus could catch Ebola from an infected passenger.

The exchange occurred on Friday during a House hearing on the federal government’s response to the disease. Massie also asked Health and Human Services Assistant Secretary Dr. Nicole Lurie about the transmissibility of Ebola.

Torbay said he is not a medical professional and tried to skirt the issue. Dr. Lurie said Ebola is present in perspiration but did not concede it may be spread on a bus. She also conceded that Ebola can live outside the body on inert surfaces.

Rep. Massie’s questions and the answers by Torbay, Lurie and Maj. Gen. James Lariviere indicate Ebola can be passed on in a bus or other public transport – for instance, the subway car used by a Doctors Without Borders physician hours before checking into a hospital where he was diagnosed with Ebola.

The question is, then: Is the government simply inept and incapable of handling a national health care issue, or are they hiding the truth from the American people for other, more nefarious reasons?

If Torbay and Lurie know Ebola can be passed on to others through sweat – and who in a crowded bus has not touched a pole or straphanger where sweat from an ill person may be present? – and they are hiding or avoiding telling people about the dangers, they should not only be fired, but brought up on charges of endangering public health.
anyway --- whatever --- please...
we must all remain "afraid"...
<shouldn't we...???>
:|
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 am

How about mosquitos, bedbugs, fleas, ticks, bodily fluids of other animal carriers?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:06 am

greg~judy wrote:
but I have not seen anything yet on the viability of ebola viruses left on surfaces.
well, now you have...
The question was not whether it can or not be transmitted by contaminated surfaces. That information is already on the WHO page quoted earlier.
The Ebola virus can also be transmitted indirectly, by contact with previously contaminated surfaces and objects. The risk of transmission from these surfaces is low....
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebo ... r-2014/en/
My question was for how long it remains viable; something that you post does not address.

I found something that relates to Donnybrook's earlier comment.
Symptoms of Q fever

Symptoms usually develop two to three weeks after the initial infection, although they can take as little as two days or as long as 40 days.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Q-Fever/Pa ... ptoms.aspx

Even the poorly written article quoted by John includes the word "typically", so it is not an absolute.
...latency period for Ebola — typically shorter than 21 days

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/h ... ids-101414

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:17 am

Thinking darkly for a moment, to find the positive in the negative, it turns out the ebola problem most likly will not help the other problems, even under the worst case scenerio of a massive global pandemic.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... on-growth/

Seems they ran the numbers on human population growth over the next 100 years, and found very few situations that would lead to even slight slow down. Only under a massive war / pandemic where something like 6 billion people died by 2050, would a serious dent be made in the human population.

I think that number or something similar to it would only happen with something like a nuclear war powered intentional genocide (which sort of defeats the purpose of reducing the population to save the environment in the first place).

We are on track to something like 9 to 25 billion people by 2100.

The only other thing we got in the pipeline that is realistic, is the lack of new antibiotics in the pipeline. We loose antibiotics, the global population's life expectancy and fertility rates get almost instantly cut in half. We are in this population explosion, only because of antibiotics. People wave their hands at lots of other causes and reasons for the current population, but at the end of the day, over half (1 out of 2 of you, would not be reading this) the population today would not have made it to age 10 (i.e. reproductive ages) without antibiotics. Those are going away very quickly.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 am

I guess we will have to wait for the second study:
Only one laboratory study has scrutinized Ebola virus survival time, and it found that, under ideal conditions, the virus could persist for up to 6 days, the CDC reported.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... ssion-risk

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:11 pm

admin wrote:
We are on track to something like 9 to 25 billion people by 2100.
Or less population than we have now if the trends which have taken over the developing world and many developing countries continues. You might want to source population growth from different people than the ones who have been banging the same drum for years and years. Or better yet check out the reports linked to and see if they are pushing the same point as the author is trying to force the data to make. Nearly every country in the world is on the same downward trend, many countries now on the cusp of declining population, even in Mexico, if the trend continues, there will be negative population growth by 2050. India is headed towards near zero population growth by 2050 and China will see negative population growth before 2050.

FYI: The report linked to in the article predicts that by 2100, fertility rates in the less developed world will fall to 1.99. That's below the rate of population replacement. Even the UN is predicting that the world population will begin to decline in the 2100's. Taking into account a lower fertility rate(entirely possible since the change in the last 20 years has been tremendous and is just a continuation of current trends), the UN is predicting that the world population could fall by 2100.

greg~judy

Re: Ebola <business> watch...

Post by greg~judy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 am

~
Lakeland Hazmat Suit Orders Go Exponential, Surpass 1 Million

there's no bizness like ebola bizness...
but then, how many of us were prescient enough...
to actually buy/hold LAKE shares...
:|

Lakeland Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ: LAKE) --- Performance

YTD --- +98.97%
1 Month --- +58.63%
3 Month --- +80.94%
6 Month --- +63.33%
1 Year --- +106.79%

Lakeland Industries Provides Update on Business Activity Relating to Ebola Crisis

In anticipation of the worsening of the Ebola crisis, on September 12 the Company announced its intent to increase manufacturing capacity for specialty protective suits to be worn by healthcare workers and others being exposed to Ebola. The Company has been experiencing significant interest globally for its ChemMAX® and MicroMAX® protective suit lines. Manufacturing of select lines of these garments involves proprietary processes for specialized seam sealing, a far superior technology for protecting against viral hazards including infected body fluids than non-sealed products. Lakeland accelerated its capital investment program for new machinery to accommodate higher levels of output and increased its spending for raw materials and the hiring and training of manufacturing personnel to address the increase in product demand.

"Recent developments have enabled us to strengthen our balance sheet, increase forward cash flow from the elimination of interest service on expensive debt, and increase production capacity to contribute to the fight against the spread of Ebola which has led to a material improvement in our business," said Christopher J. Ryan, CEO of Lakeland Industries, Inc. "At the same time, we have also been experiencing an improvement in operating conditions for the balance of our business globally. I am very proud of the way the worldwide team of Lakeland Industries has responded to the Ebola crisis while continuing to provide the highest level of service and quality garments to our traditional customers."

Monthly production capacity for sealed seam ChemMAX and MicroMAX protective suit lines has increased by nearly 50% from August 2014, prior to Ebola-related product demand, to October 2014, and is on track for a 100% increase from that level by January 2015, with the ability for additional increases as needed. Substantially all of the available production capacity in August 2014 had been allocated to purchases by the Company's industrial customers (for non-Ebola related purposes). The Company will continue to service its industrial customers who are dependent upon Lakeland to conduct their work safely. The expanded capacity is necessary in order to meet obligations for both traditional customers as well as for protection against the spread of Ebola.

Through its direct sales force and numerous distribution partners throughout the world, Lakeland has secured new orders relating to the fight against the spread of Ebola. Orders have been received from government agencies around the world as well as other public and private sector customers. Certain of these contracts require weekly delivery guarantees or shipments through the first calendar quarter of 2015. The aggregate of orders won by Lakeland that are believed to have resulted from the Ebola crisis amount to approximately 1 million suits with additional orders for other products, such as hoods, foot coverings and gloves. Lakeland started shipping such orders only in October, which is the end of its fiscal 2015 third quarter reporting period. The main impact from Ebola-related orders received to date will not be realized until the Company's fiscal 2015 fourth quarter ended January 31, 2015.

Furthermore, the Company is presently participating in bidding on numerous customer requests for additional quantities. This additional amount may not reflect any of the global requirements for preparedness strategies to be implemented by governments and healthcare organizations resulting from the crisis in anticipation of future contagion scenarios. It is important to note that product demand in crisis and emergency situations is very difficult to predict, and the Company makes no assurances of its ability to win additional business.

Lakeland remains committed to participating in the fight against the spread of Ebola. The Company's global workforce and management team have been vigilant in responding to an unprecedented level of inquiries and in ramping production to meet delivery requirements. For additional product information or to place an order, please visit www.lakeland.com or contact customer service:
btw - lakeland does have a chile branch...
http://global.lakeland.com/ci/
just if any~allchileans feel some perverse need to stock-up on ChemMAX and MicroMAX suits...
:idea:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:00 pm

admin wrote:The only other thing we got in the pipeline that is realistic, is the lack of new antibiotics in the pipeline. We loose antibiotics, the global population's life expectancy and fertility rates get almost instantly cut in half. We are in this population explosion, only because of antibiotics. People wave their hands at lots of other causes and reasons for the current population, but at the end of the day, over half (1 out of 2 of you, would not be reading this) the population today would not have made it to age 10 (i.e. reproductive ages) without antibiotics. Those are going away very quickly.
So, one method to selectively depopulate is to develop new antibiotics, but don't tell anyone. Similar to having control of the only cure for a deadly disease, only stealthier.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:16 pm

As my father was fond of saying when I was overwhelmed with some problem, "don't worry, I can guarantee tomorrow you will have bigger problems to worry about".

He was always right of course, but still never figured out how that was suppose to make me feel better.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.