Starving Cuba

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:59 pm

JHyre wrote:
Mr.Master of the universe, Not to your reference, not you..You are too grandiose so not be counted as a snippet! I meant the BA bragging ....
I realized that. My comment still stands. Potty humor? Come on. As to BA's creds - it did not strike me as bragging. It was topical & in my view true.

You really are rather wound up today.

John Hyre

PS: Grandiose? Moi? Nope. Not me. The Emperor, maybe. That little Kermit-cousin Yoda, for certain. But not I.
Ha,ha,haaa I tought you were..But very funny indeed ! Never expected to hear humour from Darth Vader !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:05 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote: It is in the "pitch accent".. Yeah the Hashi ( 箸 ) as the _chop stick_ or Hashi ( 橋 ) as the bridge, its differentiation is in the Kanji writing but phonetically it almost sound as if they were the same. The dissimilarity is in the pitch accent,
when western Japanese ( Kansai genre ) or Eastern-Central Japanese ( Kanto ) speak then comprehension of the two similar pronounced "Hashi's" is the same or very different..
Yes the pitch accent. Clearly a difference in the Kanji, but in Romanji the same. I was going to mention the difference in areas of the country too. The standard dialect was based on the Tokyo dialect which has become its own dialect. Which you probably have seen happen in the past 50 years.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Gloria wrote:Let's get back to school y'all! The question was raised with regard to the spanish language, not so to japanese. So here we go from the begining. And I quote as it was written.
HA says......"Se me callo el diccionario castellano"
response....."Callo....cayó ( tiempo pretérito del verbo caer). "
HA says......"Yep, both sound as same but spelled diferently... Callo=Silenced. Cayó=Fell~Dropped..
Gringalais says......Hate to burst your bubble, but there is a pronounciation difference. Maybe you need to get your Spanish books out and figure out what it is.
Response by me......Nope, you're wrong! Look for verb "caer" y "callar". Maybe YOU need to get your spanish books out and figure out how it is, back to school.
Gringalais says.......I was referring to cayó and callo, which is what he was referring to. The stressed syllable is different, which is a pronounciation difference. If not, there would be no accent on the o in the first case.
And there is where the s*** hit the ceiling.
Now, we were talking about the difference between the verb "CAER and CALLAR." " Se me cayó la casa en el barranco" ( Verb CAER) " En la iglesia me callo por respeto" ( Verb CALLAR) ¿entendido?
Nothing to do with pronunciation as Gringalais was referring to but as the way it´s suppose to be written.
I don´t need a BA in spanish since I grew up speaking, reading and writing in spanish plus my schooling was done in Santiago of Chile in those times when good teaching and learning meant something. Thank you very much!
I was referring to cayó and callo, which is what he was referring to. The stressed syllable is different, which is a pronounciation difference. If not, there would be no accent on the o in the first case.
I did not put the accent on the "O" 'cause did not find a way to type in the accent ó so written Callo vs Calló
but the accents ( (as (·, ·), or (ˈ, ˌ), or (′, ″)), aside, the phonetic on the Cayar or Callar are similar, unless you are pronouncing as an Argentinean'Uruguyan as "Yo" or pronounced "Sho" to add them further.

sqcpcg

Post by sqcpcg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am

HybridAmbassador wrote: I did not put the accent on the "O" 'cause did not find a way to type in the accent ó so written Callo vs Calló.
I did not see anyone address this, but if I missed it and it has already been done by someone else, please ignore.

In Windows this is easier than falling off a log (i.e. less painful). All that is needed is to go into
Control Panel and change the keyboard from US to United States-International.

Once this has been done, simply hit Ctl+Alt+letter to produce the desired letter. This can also be
used to put a tilde on the letter n. It does not work to put a dieresis on the letter u, but in the
normal scheme of things that occurs relatively rarely (whadda ya want fer nuttin?).

e.g. Ctl+Alt+o produces ó etc.

This is easy to use although it may sound complicated. It sure beats installing a Spanish
teclado on your machine or cutting and pasting from a character map....

Linux is somewhat less intuitive but similar. The info on how to do this is in the Wiki.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:42 pm

sqcpcg wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: I did not put the accent on the "O" 'cause did not find a way to type in the accent ó so written Callo vs Calló.
I did not see anyone address this, but if I missed it and it has already been done by someone else, please ignore.

In Windows this is easier than falling off a log (i.e. less painful). All that is needed is to go into
Control Panel and change the keyboard from US to United States-International.

Once this has been done, simply hit Ctl+Alt+letter to produce the desired letter. This can also be
used to put a tilde on the letter n. It does not work to put a dieresis on the letter u, but in the
normal scheme of things that occurs relatively rarely (whadda ya want fer nuttin?).

e.g. Ctl+Alt+o produces ó etc.

This is easy to use although it may sound complicated. It sure beats installing a Spanish
teclado on your machine or cutting and pasting from a character map....

Linux is somewhat less intuitive but similar. The info on how to do this is in the Wiki.
Thanks sqcpcg for your input. Despite,Since I have my laptop set up in the regional lingo in Japanese, thus your or set method does not work in the language set up Iam using. In order to use the method mentioned in your doctrine, I have to be switching regional language setting from Nippones to English and it is a pain in the arse 'cause it takes so much time going from one language to other so no good or practical. But regardless, I appreciate your lecturing above..

Andres

Post by Andres » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:25 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:I did not put the accent on the "O" 'cause did not find a way to type in the accent ó so written Callo vs Calló.
Try this allchile wiki article: http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index ... characters
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.