Starving Cuba

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

gringalais

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by gringalais » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:01 pm

I was referring to cayó and callo, which is what he was referring to. The stressed syllable is different, which is a pronounciation difference. If not, there would be no accent on the o in the first case.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

gringalais wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but there is a pronounciation difference. Maybe you need to get your Spanish books out and figure out what it is.
Always barging in.....MYOFB ! Then show me your Castellano proficiency...I can see your back but can not see mine.
Mind you but every Chilenos when me whilst there understood me perfectly.. ha ha ha.. Also understood them clearly, so no needing to tell me to open any books.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

gringalais wrote:I was referring to cayó and callo, which is what he was referring to. The stressed syllable is different, which is a pronounciation difference. If not, there would be no accent on the o in the first case.
Gringalais, I would like to invite you to discuss this further since the topic is about "Starving Cuba" and HA already understood my correction ( ", both sound as same but spelled diferently... Callo=Silenced. Cayó=Fell~Dropped..") and it has been highjacked temporarily.Will send a PM.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:14 pm

I've said all I have to on the subject. No need to PM.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Oops! already sent it!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
gringalais wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but there is a pronounciation difference. Maybe you need to get your Spanish books out and figure out what it is.
Always barging in.....MYOFB ! Then show me your Castellano proficiency...I can see your back but can not see mine.
Mind you but every Chilenos when me whilst there understood me perfectly.. ha ha ha.. Also understood them clearly, so no needing to tell me to open any books.
Ricky-san then you must have been very fortunate indeed. This train of thought kind of reminds me of bridge and chopsticks, which I believe are spelled the same in Romanized Japanese. The difference being in the syllable accented. There is also a third word spelled the same which doesn't have an accented syllable. There are a number of other words that come to mind like these. There are a number of words like these in the Japanese language that foreigners have difficulty with. What does this have to do with the topic, nothing. Chill out and take it easy. :mrgreen:

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Have some of that Yamazaki whiskey and chill!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 pm

I'll drink to that y aunque sea con un vinito barato! SALUD, DINERO Y AMOR!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 pm

mlightheart wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Ricky-san then you must have been very fortunate indeed. This train of thought kind of reminds me of bridge and chopsticks, which I believe are spelled the same in Romanized Japanese. The difference being in the syllable accented. There is also a third word spelled the same which doesn't have an accented syllable. There are a number of other words that come to mind like these. There are a number of words like these in the Japanese language that foreigners have difficulty with. What does this have to do with the topic, nothing. Chill out and take it easy. :mrgreen:
kind of reminds me of bridge and chopsticks,
It is in the "pitch accent".. Yeah the Hashi ( 箸 ) as the _chop stick_ or Hashi ( 橋 ) as the bridge, its differentiation is in the Kanji writing but phonetically it almost sound as if they were the same. The dissimilarity is in the pitch accent,
when western Japanese ( Kansai genre ) or Eastern-Central Japanese ( Kanto ) speak then comprehension of the two similar pronounced "Hashi's" is the same or very different..

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
I know I said I was done with the topic and I debated whether I should even bother responding, but I guess I feel unjustly attacked and need to defend myself.

First of all, I find it quite ironic that you got mad at me for correcting your statement, when a bit above in the thread you corrected someone’s spelling of Colombia. So, why do you think you can you correct people, but I can’t? I honestly thought it would be useful to draw your mistake to your attention. If you want to live here, I would hope you would want to achieve proficiency in the language, rather than just getting by.

I also found it interesting that you accuse me of butting in, when you seem to have to respond to almost every thread, often without contributing much.

I shouldn’t have to send you my résumé. However, for the sake of argument, I’ll give you a quick summary. I have a BA in Spanish, which included studying abroad in Spain. I have lived in Chile for nearly 13 years in total. I was here in the 1990’s and then came back in 2002. I have lived here ever since and frequently travel to other South American countries. I have worked in translation for well over a decade and have also done interpretation work in the last several years. Oh, and I often am assumed to be a native Spanish speaker.

Sadly, the tone here seems to have gotten pretty negative these days, with some people feeling the need to attack harmless comments. Maybe I need to take a break for a bit.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:59 pm

gringalais wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
I know I said I was done with the topic and I debated whether I should even bother responding, but I guess I feel unjustly attacked and need to defend myself.

First of all, I find it quite ironic that you got mad at me for correcting your statement, when a bit above in the thread you corrected someone’s spelling of Colombia. So, why do you think you can you correct people, but I can’t? I honestly thought it would be useful to draw your mistake to your attention. If you want to live here, I would hope you would want to achieve proficiency in the language, rather than just getting by.

I also found it interesting that you accuse me of butting in, when you seem to have to respond to almost every thread, often without contributing much.

I shouldn’t have to send you my résumé. However, for the sake of argument, I’ll give you a quick summary. I have a BA in Spanish, which included studying abroad in Spain. I have lived in Chile for nearly 13 years in total. I was here in the 1990’s and then came back in 2002. I have lived here ever since and frequently travel to other South American countries. I have worked in translation for well over a decade and have also done interpretation work in the last several years. Oh, and I often am assumed to be a native Spanish speaker.

Sadly, the tone here seems to have gotten pretty negative these days, with some people feeling the need to attack harmless comments. Maybe I need to take a break for a bit.
Splendid !

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Gringalais,

Not looking to pick a fight with you at all with this response. My perception: The way you posed the correction struck me as quite harsh. This is in contrast to my perception of H.A.'s comment to me, which in keeping with his general demeanor, struck me as tongue in cheek. Could be I'm all wet, "perception" and "email" are often a formula for "Man, did I completely misunderstand". Re-read it, maybe you'll agree, maybe not. Just my two cents.

John Hyre

PS: Good to know your Spanish creds. I grew up speaking it, but never had any formal training. I may periodically borrow some of that expertise if you'll permit me. I struggle some with formal Spanish, such as the legalese.