Starving Cuba

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
JHyre
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Starving Cuba

Post by JHyre » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:01 am

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 ... ert-zubrin

Oh, wait, it's not being reported in the mainstream press, which is sympathetic to Castro. As such,it's not really happening. Pollies just don't do such things. My bad.

Any comments from the Allende lovers about this thing that is of course not happening? You know, the same ones who love(d) Castro & wanted to export La Revolucion?

John Hyre

User avatar
El Chupacabra
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am
Location: Earth (most of the time)

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by El Chupacabra » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:52 am

This really isn't anything new. I have been hearing stories of Cubans starving as far back as the 90s. I guess it might be somewhat of a surprise to Americans who have not had the opportunity to travel to Cuba. Most Canadians I know that have been to Cuba are aware of this. I actually have a friend (more like an old acquaintance) of the family that use to set up a Cuban food drive a few times a year and then personally bring the food to Cuba and distribute it.
Living the life!

User avatar
JHyre
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

And in Venezuela....

Post by JHyre » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm

More of the same in Venezuela. The protests are all over my facebook, courtesy of one or two Venezuelans. But in the press? Not so much, certainly not as a cause celebre - that was back when, in support of Chavez. How's that working out? About the same as Cuba, and that's in spite of the oil wealth.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 ... as-editors

Chupacabra,

I knew things were bad. I don't think I thought they were that bad, I should have known better. And that of course our press would laud their "free" healthcare & mention little else, certainly not with any emphasis.

John Hyre

User avatar
JHyre
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by JHyre » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 am

Venezuela video put together by one of the protesters: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202082071707948

May they win back their lost liberty.

John Hyre

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17924
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by admin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:58 am

Just my sense from watching Argentina, Venzuela, and Cuba over the years, regarding the difference in political climate they are some very subtle differences.

Where in both Argentina and Venezuela, the government has a rather large hardcore loyal following of the population to work with politically, I don't really see a whole lot of pro-castro supporters outside the government in the media (perhaps I am not paying attention ). You might not hear a lot of anti-castro from inside Cuba, but you also don't really see the cult following as you do in Venezuela and even Argentina where the poor masses have been convinced that somehow the corruption / economic mess they are in is one day going to benefit them as a sort of means to an end. After 50+ years, I doubt there is a whole lot of love for castro left in Cuba with the average man on the street honestly still believing things will get better.

I seen an interview on TVN with a Venezuelan living in Chile the other day. The lady was completely convinced by the story being pushed by the Venezuelan government that the opposition was composed of greedy businessmen and foreign countries (read USA) meddling inside Venezuela. Now, I don't doubt there is more than a little bit of that going on, but it does not account for all the protesters or everyone that is ticked off at the government.

On the other hand, I have some Venezuelan friends living in Chile that have told me over dinner that the main reason the left was because of the security. Several of their friends had been kidnapped and killed. I have another friend in the Kidnap and Ransom biz in Colombia, that recently opened an office in Venezuela because it is a growth market. For the most part the security problems of Venzuela is simply not covered by the media, from inside or outside Venezuela. It makes me wonder just how in control the Venezuelan government really is, and could it collapse under its own corruption.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
JHyre
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by JHyre » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:17 am

Some interesting company you keep Charles! I do think you are correct about both the cult following (Castro once had it in Cuba, now it exists only at American universities & similar places) and the crime, I have heard much the same from Venezuelans.

John Hyre

Andres
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2696
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 3:09 am
Location: in transit

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by Andres » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:33 pm

admin wrote:I don't really see a whole lot of pro-castro supporters outside the government in the media (perhaps I am not paying attention ). You might not hear a lot of anti-castro from inside Cuba, but you also don't really see the cult following as you do in Venezuela and even Argentina where the poor masses have been convinced that somehow the corruption / economic mess they are in is one day going to benefit them as a sort of means to an end. After 50+ years, I doubt there is a whole lot of love for castro left in Cuba with the average man on the street honestly still believing things will get better.
I do not have any direct knowledge about Cuba, so the following question is based upon logic rather than knowledge:
If there is little support for Castro and his gang in Cuba, why haven't there been demonstrations and a few assassinations of key individuals in order to change the political landscape? Perhaps there is more support for Castro than you suspect.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3804
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm

JHyre wrote:Some interesting company you keep Charles!
John Hyre
! Me too thinkin'!
I have another friend in the Kidnap and Ransom biz in Colombia, that recently opened an office in Venezuela because it is a growth market.
I still have trouble inside my brain in reading-decompiling these posts made by charles-san ..He,he,heee
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

User avatar
mlightheart
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Temuco - Chile

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by mlightheart » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:38 pm

JHyre wrote:Some interesting company you keep Charles! I do think you are correct about both the cult following (Castro once had it in Cuba, now it exists only at American universities & similar places) and the crime, I have heard much the same from Venezuelans.

John Hyre
Yeah, interesting company. Don't go visit your friend, he might let business get in the way of friendship. "Nothing personal, it's just business." :mrgreen:

User avatar
FrankPintor
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by FrankPintor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:23 am

admin wrote:I seen an interview on TVN with a Venezuelan living in Chile the other day. The lady was completely convinced by the story being pushed by the Venezuelan government that the opposition was composed of greedy businessmen and foreign countries (read USA) meddling inside Venezuela. Now, I don't doubt there is more than a little bit of that going on, but it does not account for all the protesters or everyone that is ticked off at the government.
The initial student protests were fairly spontaneous and focused on safety, but the frustration about empty supermarkets (basic goods like flour, oil, milk are often not available, and when they are, they're effectively rationed), corruption, and the impunity of the paramilitary national guard (GNB) and armed collectives seems to have exploded. The GNB are reported to be using live ammunition for riot control now.

The students have also made the point that there is no point in studying for example medicine, if after they graduate the hospitals have neither equipment nor drugs, no point in studying journalism if the newspapers have no paper, no point in studying law if there's no justice... you get the picture.
admin wrote:On the other hand, I have some Venezuelan friends living in Chile that have told me over dinner that the main reason the left was because of the security. Several of their friends had been kidnapped and killed. I have another friend in the Kidnap and Ransom biz in Colombia, that recently opened an office in Venezuela because it is a growth market. For the most part the security problems of Venzuela is simply not covered by the media, from inside or outside Venezuela. It makes me wonder just how in control the Venezuelan government really is, and could it collapse under its own corruption.
Yes, the reasons for the white-collar Venezuelan exodus are safety and plunging wage values. It's a big exodus, there's even a humourous article describing Dublin as the safest Venezuelan city now (http://www.elchiguirebipolar.net/27-01- ... venezuela/).

About safety, I can tell the following anecdote: when I was working there, a much younger colleague of mine came into work one morning and said he was going to leave at the end of the week. As this came out of the blue we asked him what was going on. It turns out his father owned a glass-engraving business, and two armed thugs had turned up to kidnap him from the office. They failed, but the father said, well, they know who I am, they're going to try again, if they don't get me they'll get one of my family, so we're going. Within a week the whole family had moved to Colombia.

The kidnap and ransom business I think could be really nasty, have you seen the film "Piedra, Papel, o Tijera"?

About the plunging wages (in real terms), a colleague of mine, engineering team leader with an MBA, says the girl who manicures his wife's nails earns more than him.

The Venezuelan government is spectacularly inefficient and corrupt, but even if it does collapse it's hard to see how anything better might replace it. The actors on the sidelines, like the speaker of parliament and some of the ministers and governors are even nastier and more corrupt characters.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by zer0nz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:29 am

Back to the cuban thing... if you are to think about it, good old US of A is the biggest supporter of the cuban regime... they are feeding it with there sanctions....

if the USA was to drop them there would be nothing feeding the cuban propaganda? boats from miami could just turn up on the beach without fear of punishment from the american dictators building a who new form of income with genuine us currency that would allow the average cuban to life there level of life?

Anyway

the better half has been to cuba a number of times!, one time she went with some friends to one of the resort employees homes, he had a little side business preparing home cooked cuban meals for tips... group of 5 paid about $US100 for the night, the father goes out poaching the lobster, mother cooks the food.

she said it was the best meal she had in cuba, the resort food is terrible!,

User avatar
JHyre
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Starving Cuba

Post by JHyre » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 am

How things change. For those of who were alive & sentient in the 1980's, who'd have imagined that people would flee for safety from anywhere to Columbia?

John Hyre

Post Reply