Australian Stay in School Ad

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

JHyre

Australian Stay in School Ad

Post by JHyre » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:16 pm

http://www.wmms.com/onair/the-alan-cox- ... -12019697/

Excellent, Smithers, excccccelllennnnt.

John Hyre

PS: Ummm, graphic.

Andres

Re: Australian Stay in School Ad

Post by Andres » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Good old Australia; to the point, and no (or at least little) BS. :-)
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:12 am

That came as bit of a surprise! Haven't seen it on the teev...

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:46 am

Quite bizarre, yet I wouldn't think very effective. It looks like the trailer for the sort of film the kids would skip school to go and see. I can't imagine any teenager watching it and thinking: oh, I might find myself in that unlikely situation so I had better not skip school. In fact, I can imagine a lot of teenagers laughing at it. Those that are horrified by it are probably not the sort to skip school. Take it from someone who skipped school a lot. :wink:

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:13 am

I found it amusing. I think DB is correct, it'll have no effect other than to amuse some people (and, if I may add, of course offend sensitive, caring people).

Funny how a society that encourages indolence & other bad behavior (not just Australia, in fairness it's the West overall) figures it can fix things with sloganeering.

John Hyre

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:17 am

Ah yes the good ol trying to alter behaviour by the governments social engineering programmes, NZ was full of these ads, dont drink drive, stay in school, look after your kids, cook your chicken properly, dont run inside, buy a smoke detector, heres one I found about driving stonned, they start using kids to try and tug on peoples heart strings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f45ly-dIjK0

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:23 am

Nuts. If anything, the ad encourages it.

Do Kiwis have as much trouble understanding Yanks as I did catching everything in that ad? What did Churchill say.....two great peoples separated by a common language?

I will doubtless get in trouble for asking insensitive questions, here we go: The kids appeared to all be Maori. Is blazing, etc. more of a problem with them than the norm? Just curious as to whether the ad was, umm, targeted.

John Hyre

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:45 am

JHyre wrote:Nuts. If anything, the ad encourages it.

Do Kiwis have as much trouble understanding Yanks as I did catching everything in that ad? What did Churchill say.....two great peoples separated by a common language?

I will doubtless get in trouble for asking insensitive questions, here we go: The kids appeared to all be Maori. Is blazing, etc. more of a problem with them than the norm? Just curious as to whether the ad was, umm, targeted.

John Hyre
Ive never really had much trouble understanding Yanks, but when I was in Japan all the Yanks there always used to say they couldnt understand me a lot of the time. I dont know if its unsensitive or not or just the way it is? A lot of people complained about that ad saying that it was stereotyping Maori, even though NZ has some of the highest blazing rates in the world it seems to be a lot more prevelant amongst Maori and young Maori male in particular. But there have been a lot of examples of them targeting other groups to, the rural boys down at the local, the housewife that thinks she go out and drive with the kids after a bottle of wine, etc etc.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 am

I dont know if its unsensitive or not or just the way it is?
I agree. I was being sarcastic in anticipation of the Usual Suspects misusing the usual words.

John Hyre

WestCoast

Post by WestCoast » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 am

You all get that the ad was made by an advertising agency and isn't a "real" ad?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:08 am

?

Let me get this straight. If you drop out of school, you will not recognize the skull and crossbones symbol on a fence?

Was it not the point of the invention of that symbol, to alert people that could not read?

Think they are giving too much credit to schools.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 am

JHyre wrote:Do Kiwis have as much trouble understanding Yanks as I did catching everything in that ad?
Probably not, as kiwis are exposed to US speech patterns in movies and series they watch on television.
The kids appeared to all be Maori.
Yes.
Is blazing, etc. more of a problem with them than the norm? Just curious as to whether the ad was, umm, targeted.
Don't know; perhaps zer0nz or someone else who has lived in NZ recently can answer that.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.