Leaving Chile

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by Britkid » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 pm

My wife has to keep a watch on me to make sure I am not too direct with people if nothing else in the way I word it. But, it can get results that benefit us both.

Did any of you ever say to someone something like "so, I just want to clarify, that is the full amount of charges, and there will definately be no additionally charges or increases". I then usually feel guilty for being an asshole and making them confirm a 4th time something that's already been confirmed 3 separate times.

Then the next thing that will happen is an extra charge.

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Seen more than a handful of expats with "fluency" come and go and others who aren't who are still here, so…
Yes, I know of a Spanish entrepreneurial couple who are leaving Chile because they are fed-up with the difficulty getting anything done.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 pm

andres sorry to hear your leaving. most definetly excellent contributions to the forum.

here is the thing.

9 times out of 10, the biz plans i hear from expats would not be viable anywhere on the planet. because they are in chile, chile gets the credit for being the source of the failure.

9 times out of that 9 times, the real source of the failure is buisness partners. for every buisness that has failed because of something like competion or other market forces, a 1000 have failed because of partners. that becomes a partular easy scapegoat to pin on chile, because gringos just arriving go looking for the first friendly face that speaks english and spanish to hand over their money to in hope they will know how to get things done.

when we started this biz i set a hard rule of never ever going in to buisness partnerships with clients or people contacting us. over the years we have been very very tempted, but have always held fast to that rule. i have litterally been offered a million dollars, from multiple sources, in the same week. essentially with no strings attached. toyed with idea of accepting the offers to be partners, but ultimatly had to do the right thing for the cluless gringo on the other end of the line that did know me from adam and refuse the offers.

guess what? not getting in to partnerships has saved us more times than i can count as the gringos insistead on going ahead with their ideas even against our professional advice and the ventures turned in to complete trainwrecks for one reason or the other. even among the ideas that were pitched to us that i honestly thought were good on the surface, it turned out devil was in the detailes.

none of the above has anything to do with chile.

it has to do with people being people, mixed with money.

most people that blaim their failure on chile speficaly, have never tried to do buisness anywhere else in latin america and / or expect chile to be some corrupt third world shit hole they can just pay everyone off. i as yet to hear a real reason why chile is somehow more difficult to do buisness as compared to say the rest of latin america ( or asia, africa, or middle east) that does not fundamentaly involve engaging in some form of criminal activity ( even if it is locally accepted way of doing biz).

corruption and bribery does not run the country, so yea it is beuracratic instead. sometimes i have even joked that a little more currption might loosen things up in chile. the problem is, i have seen what that leads to up close and personal from guatemal and mexico to china.i have also seen it especially in the united states. it means you can loose everything at any moment for any reason. it means what you think you own or have "earned" is an illusion subject the shifting political winds and new ways of corrupting the rules. it means there is no gravity in the system. up may not be up, and down may not be down, and the laws of economic physics do not apply.

compare your apples to apples, when saying chile is difficult to do buissness or "get things done". dont confuse not understanding the culture of doing buisness in chile with chilean culture intentionally making it difficult for foreigners to do buisness in chile or invest. lots and lots of foreigners that have figured it out have made lots and lots of money. unfortunatly the learning curve can often be far steeper than many foreigners willing to climb.

anyway, just some thoughts on the problem. perhaps the conclusion i would offer is pacience is perhaps the most valuable skill and capital you can bring to chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

T-T-T

Post by T-T-T » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:57 pm

We are considering Chile for retirement on outside pensions + cash.
Perhaps a rather new apartment will not need much maintenance for a few years?
We are not really Spanish speakers, so ...
I got the brilliant idea of hiring some experienced soul to handle translation duties?
Any comments from the wise and experienced Chilean-overcomers among you?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:16 am

T-T-T wrote:I got the brilliant idea of hiring some experienced soul to handle translation duties?
Coming here on your own, and trusting a complete stranger to do your communicating for you ?
Sooner or later they will let you down. If you get unlucky they could ruin your life.
Not a country for the linguistically challenged.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

T-T-T

Post by T-T-T » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:11 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
T-T-T wrote:I got the brilliant idea of hiring some experienced soul to handle translation duties?
Coming here on your own, and trusting a complete stranger to do your communicating for you ?
Sooner or later they will let you down. If you get unlucky they could ruin your life.
Not a country for the linguistically challenged.
Someone else said if you don't really know Spanish, how can you be sure of your legal matters?
This is becoming quite absurd.
Must one just trust in blind luck to take care of them? ... No, just simply trust in the Lord, I guess!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Recommendation: spend the next week forcing yourself to search for and read threads on the forum so you will at least be a less naive gringo when looking for and then dealing with your "helpers". And you should really start studying Spanish, at least attain the ability to read it. Then there are professionals that can help, for instance, scroll down to the bottom of the page for the one who pays the forum bills and maintains it.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard