Leaving Chile

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Re: Leaving Chile

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:38 pm

Hmmm, leaving chile and coming to chile. A two ways but opposing streets. At least the OP gets to return to a civilised country but others do not care if chile is on the way to be fully civilised or not.
It appears that the semi-advanced country has its charms despite of its disparate character.

I will be sure to be re-visiting Chile soon and also Australia some day near in the future as well.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Andres, it's your life and your decision, and I wish you the best. I'm impressed with your contribution to the forum and to the Wiki. But I can't help thinking that language is much too simple an issue for you to leave Chile.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:23 am

Superficially, Chile is pleasant enough. When you are living here on money coming from somewhere else, or if you work for a multinational, everything is relatively OK. The same goes for most places though.
But coming in "cold" and attempting to bootstrap a business to make a living from the country is altogether different.
You become exposed to the less pleasant aspects of Chile, some of which you mention: for example the bureaucracy, much of which is engendered by another local fact of life, namely the generalized (and well-founded) lack of trust, as well as the omnipresent mendacity which, to be fair, is endemic to all Latin cultures. Not knowing about these things in advance, and not speaking the language accurately enough for business purposes is a big handicap.

So Good Luck, the lessons learned here are valuable and can be put to good use a hopefully more congenial environment.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

malma

Post by malma » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree that language is critical to being happy here. I think it is the main difference between how I have experienced chile and how my wife has experienced it. My wife came with no spanish and learnt enough to manage basic day to day and talking with friends, however not being able to make out if someone is giving you a real answer or just trying to fob you off, not being able to pick up the phone and argue about whatever problem, being stuck on an issue at work cos you can't reason with someone to prioritize the issue causes frustration. There is a motivation part here as well because languages can be learnt, if you have the motivation to learn it. She does not want to be here and it is only a matter of time until we leave, something that I am really not looking forward to.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:27 pm

FrankPintor wrote:I can't help thinking that language is much too simple an issue for you to leave Chile.
You are correct. Lack of spanish skills by itself is too simple an issue.

But when government, social and cultural conditions are such that many issues must be resolved, issues are difficult to resolve and issues recur, it is imperative to have someone who is always available and capable of resolving issues, or one must have enough language skills to resolve the issues yourself and/or research how to resolve them.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 pm

CPATX wrote:If you had been fluent in Spanish/Chilean, would you have made the same choice of leaving or do you think you could have made things work for you within your intended time frame?
I don't know, but it is a lot more probable I would have been successful.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Seen more than a handful of expats with "fluency" come and go and others who aren't who are still here, so…
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:24 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Seen more than a handful of expats with "fluency" come and go and others who aren't who are still here, so…
Hmmm...language is only a tool. When I worked In N. Africa the company had an engineer of whom it was said "fluent in five languages, not a word of sense in any of them"

IMHO understanding what people are telling you, and how to interpret what they actually mean is pretty important.

For example: "No" usually means No, but "Si" can mean anything, including No.
I learned this the hard way...
Its impossible to make important decisions without understanding this basic concept.

Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:42 am

Agreed, which means the non-fluent better have better than normal on the fly adaptive ability and spidey sense and leverage all resources at their disposal (native spouse with intelligence) to navigate the waters.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:57 am

True. But Ive seen some Chilean ladies get too extreme about protecting their feckless gringo against the swarms of aprovechadores as well....not everybody is out to rob them, but they think that way. Even now I get told off for being too trusting.

Après moi, le déluge

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Even now I get told off for being too trusting.
I used to get that a lot. Then I got screwed enough that I stopped being so nice....and easy.

John Hyre

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:16 pm

My Chilean wife and I are the other way around. I get 'why are you being like this' all the time. But I'm still braced to cop it where the sun don't shine.