TPP and the Pacific Alliance

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

john

TPP and the Pacific Alliance

Post by john » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Well reasoned opinion piece.

The TPP and the Pacific Alliance: Chile must choose wisely

Opinion: Two new trade deals reveal the choices facing Chile in the global economy

http://www.santiagotimes.cl/opinion/op- ... ose-wisely
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

zer0nz

Re: TPP and the Pacific Alliance

Post by zer0nz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 pm

This one is a good one, read it earlier, its based alot more on fact :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Yea, keep the North American trade leaches out of Chile. There is nothing in it for Chile but U.S. exploitation and trade restrictions, and not in a good sense of exploitation.

Here is the problem with the U.S.: THEY DON'T FRIGEN MAKE OR DO ANYTHING!!!!

How many products we buy in Chile, get made in China or Asia in whole or in substantial parts, are relabelled by some U.S. middleman, marked up 30% - 3000%, and then sold to the Chilean market? Pretty much most of them. Perhaps a few we can point to with "made in America" stickers really have a substantial assembly in the United States, but nothing that could not be found somewhere else.

Here is an intellectual exercise. Name 10 products (tangible goods, not things like services, software, copyright licenses) from the United States that benefit people in Chile, that are fully 100% made in the U.S. (and things like national debt and war, do not count even if they should)? Now how many of those can be gotten from the United States and only the United States?

The world is a different place than it was 10 years ago, let alone 20-30 years ago. The U.S. is still grasping at the ghost of the glory days of 1985 Ragen 'shinning city on the hill' myth. It is long gone, on almost every front and it is not coming back any time soon.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:00 pm

So, any word on official passage or unofficial implementation of the US-Chile "tax treaty" and its spy on US persons in Chile clauses?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Well, it seems Colombia is not happy with N. American free trade agreements either.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a ... ts-farmers
Now, this article says "all", but in general when I was in Colombia everyone seems pretty happy with the Chile, Peru, type regional agreements. There was real money and jobs flowing both ways.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:35 am

john wrote:Well reasoned opinion piece.
~
indeed, but you seem a bit late to this tpp~party, john...?
<search is <always> any~allchilean's friend>...
so fwiw, fyi...
:idea:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:05 am

TPP from US perspective:
many across America have no idea that there have been, and still are, protests across the states against President Obama’s most recent item on his job-killing “free trade” agenda – the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).

Even though 70 percent of Americans are against “free trade,” corporations support the government and their quest for “free trade” because they make a lot of money from “free trade” agreements while the rest of the country suffers.
having an oblivious crowd of people mindlessly following them is exactly what President Obama and other prominent government figures, lobbyists and multinational corporations want.

He’s even threatened to utilize fast track trade authority to see that the TPP passes. This is particularly dangerous because utilizing fast track trade authority would endow him with dictator-like powers that would allow him to write in whatever he wants into “free trade” agreements like the TPP without any input from Congress.

Perhaps most concerning about the secretive TPP is that it is more than just about trade. In fact, experts say it will infringe on many freedoms that average Americans enjoy today by taking more control out of our hands and placing it into into the greedy hands of the giant corporations and big businesses that are quickly taking over our country!

http://economyincrisis.org/content/pres ... c-protests
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:36 am

i think this has been covered already.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1497/1497-h/1497-h.htm

here the cliff notes version of what this is all about:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato%27s_five_regimes

i really think i might go read the republic again. i was not a big fan of Greek philosophy back in school, but it all seems terribly relevent predictions these days of what to expect. hell, i might go trade stock based on plato's republic and make a lot of money (yea, i know he warned about that too).

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Not so secret now:

http://wikileaks.org/tpp/

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:19 pm

The US o A wanted to rule the TPP negotiation and have every one agree and swallow the US way of pushing its policy throughout but it seems that the accord can not be achieved this year as planned by the Obama administration. Most of Asian countries are opposing the US arrogance in trying to force the TPP agenda. So it seems that the agreement will drag over to next year. Every country wants the best for its own and resisting the Empire diabolical hard sell !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:20 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:The US o A wanted to rule the TPP negotiation and have every one agree and swallow the US way of pushing its policy throughout but it seems that the accord can not be achieved this year as planned by the Obama administration. Most of Asian countries are opposing the US arrogance in trying to force the TPP agenda. So it seems that the agreement will drag over to next year. Every country wants the best for its own and resisting the Empire diabolical hard sell !
Open the link :P

Each section has a update to what country supports what, and what alternative proposals exists.

its a real working document!

Andres

Post by Andres » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:20 pm

A few of points of interest:
[CL propose: Annex […]

List of Geographical Indications from Chile

WINES Name of Indication
(dozens listed)

SPIRITS Name of Indication Country
Pisco Chile
I hope Chile does not sacrifice its integrity to get the latter included.
Article QQ.I.1: {Internet Service Provider Liability}
[CL/BN/NZ/MY/VN/CA/SG/MX propose; AU/US oppose: 1. Each Party shall limit the liability of, or the availability of remedies against, internet service providers [when acting as intermediaries], for infringement of copyright or related rights that take place on or through communication networks, in relation to the provision or use of their services.]
Only the EE and its brown-noser AU are opposed.
Article QQ.E.23 : [PE/NZ/MX/SG: Proposed joint text for the Intellectual Property Chapter on Traditional Knowledge, Traditional Cultural Expressions and Genetic Resources
[PE/MY/MX/BN propose; NZ/AU/SG/CL oppose: 2. Each Party exercises sovereignty over their biological [MY/BN oppose: diversity] [MY/BN propose: resources] and shall determine the access conditions to their genetic resources and their derivatives in accordance to their domestic legislation.]
Hmm. CL opposed.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.