July 31st, 2013, historic day in America, police state 2.0

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: July 31st, 2013, historic day in America, police state 2

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 01, 2014 12:18 am

<Empasis mine - eeuunikkeiexpat>

NSA cable tapping code names explained
By Wayne Madsen by Wayne Madsen (WMR)

WMR has learned from knowledgeable National Security Agency sources
that most of the world's voice and textual data is captured and
processed by four major signals intelligence activities with the
code names of FAIRVIEW, STORMBREW, BLARNEY and OAKSTAR. The systems
are listed on one of the classified PowerPoint slides revealed by
NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. The first system is FAIRVIEW,
which taps into fiber cables at some 80 locations around the
United States. FAIRVIEW's signals intelligence activity designator
(SIGAD) is US-990. The SIGAD is actually the domestic digital voice
networks operated by AT&T, Verizon, and other providers. STORMBREW,
with the SIGAD of US 983, operates like FAIRVIEW but instead
of voice communications, STORMBREW collects textual data from
the digital fiber networks operated by AT&T, Verizon, and other
companies. BLARNEY captures data from the international cables,
includng submarine cables. BLARNEY intercepts are provided by
the FIVE EYES partners of NSA, including Britain's Government
Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), the Communications Security
Establishment Canada (CSEC), the Australian Signals Directorate
(ASD), and New Zealand's Government Communications Security Bureau
(GCSB). OAKSTAR also captures data from cables in parts of the world
where NSA and its FIVE EYES partners do not have access. OAKSTAR
intercepts of digital cable traffic is accomplished by some 48
Third Party partners of NSA. The Third Parties include the signals
intelligence agencies of Germany, France, the Netherlands, Norway,
Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal,
Belgium, Finland, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Turkey,
Greece, Israel, India, Malaysia, Taiwan, South Africa, Egypt,
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary,
Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Albania, Croatia, Slovenia, Brazil,
Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Indonesia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Oman,
Morocco, Lebanon, Ireland, and Iceland. NSA Third Party status is
in a state of constant fluctuation. For example, Iran was once a
Third Party NSA partner before the fall of the Shah but it is now
a primary target for NSA surveillance. Nations like Vietnam and
Mongolia are candidates for Third Party status as the U.S. increased
military and intelligence ties with both.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Ripsigg

Re: 52 million photos in FBI database

Post by Ripsigg » Mon May 05, 2014 3:05 am

admin wrote:FBI database will contain 52 million photos, including most that do not have a criminal context. Any FBI background check for a job requiring a photo, passport, and so on could get you in the "FBI facebook" that is searched every time they are looking for a criminal suspect or, well, just you.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014 ... next-year/
Last fall, I applied for a temp job and they used Everify. I gave my passport as proof of my right to work in the US. I was sitting with the woman as she entered my info into the Everify system. I expected that it would just say this passport is valid or something like that. Nope, up on her screen pops my original passport photo attached to my passport application form. I could still see the form around the edges of the photo. I'm wondering what happens when someone uses a driver's license and social security card? I wonder which states share their photo database with Everify?

I'm pretty sure the FBI has access to all of them already.....and if Google and Facebook are doing image recognition, I'm sure the FBI is already doing it.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote: The Third Parties include the signals
intelligence agencies of Germany, France, the Netherlands, Norway,
Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal,
Belgium, Finland, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Turkey,
Greece, Israel, India, Malaysia, Taiwan, South Africa, Egypt,
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary,
Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Albania, Croatia, Slovenia, Brazil,
Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Indonesia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Oman,
Morocco, Lebanon, Ireland, and Iceland. NSA Third Party status is
in a state of constant fluctuation. For example, Iran was once a
Third Party NSA partner before the fall of the Shah but it is now
a primary target for NSA surveillance. Nations like Vietnam and
Mongolia are candidates for Third Party status as the U.S. increased
military and intelligence ties with both.

I see Russia isn't in that list. :) I need to start using my Russian VPS again for tunneling.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 05, 2014 7:05 pm

There was an interesting mention this morning on TVN that the Chilean congress is considering either suspending or modifying the visa waiver program agreement with the United States due to the fact that the information being submitted is not only being used for immigration purposes but spread all over U.S. government agencies and for other purposes. Snowden was directly sited as the reason.

Will they really do it? doubt it. More interesting that they even ventured to stick their nose out regarding the whole thing.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon May 05, 2014 7:15 pm

admin wrote:There was an interesting mention this morning on TVN that the Chilean congress is considering either suspending or modifying the visa waiver program agreement with the United States due to the fact that the information being submitted is not only being used for immigration purposes but spread all over U.S. government agencies and for other purposes. Snowden was directly sited as the reason.

Will they really do it? doubt it. More interesting that they even ventured to stick their nose out regarding the whole thing.

most developed countries are now sharing boarder information accross all departments..... perhaps chile should just catch up and start doing the same! god forbid, centralised IT....

But then again, each time there is a change of government they will trash what was started and start again...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Yea, is rather ironic, and stupid political grand standing over nothing.

Chile has the opposite problem. Every time someone miss reads the transparency law, they dump another government database of private (or at least what should be private) information on to the internet. For example, the entire voter registeration for Chile was public and online for a while. If we got a copy of it, I am sure the NSA has a copy of it. The IT guys in Chile are really not that good at their jobs. We regularly pick up useful databases and directories from the Chilean government sites, that their IT guys only sort of hid from public view (e.g. no link on the homepage, but totally crawlable directory of files by any bot). We are not even trying that hard. The NSA does not really need anything more complicated than a google type web bot to collect every single piece of information about Chileans. I just hope they will share their databases someday, because the Chilean ones suck to parse and search. Then also, why bother. How many Chileans do you know under say 30 that do not update their frigen facebook account at least once a day. Self-survelience is way cheaper than big brother's version.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

john

Post by john » Fri May 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Lower house reconsiders US Visa Waiver agreement amid privacy concerns

Definition of 'terrorist' and security of personal data leads to renewed debate over recently signed visa program aimed at facilitating travel and business.

http://www.santiagotimes.cl/lower-house ... -concerns/

Statement (open letter) by U.S. Ambassador Michael Hammer

"…In an effort to head off trouble, U.S. Ambassador Hammer posted an open letter on the U.S. Embassy website on Monday, enumerating the benefits of the Visa Waiver agreement but eschewing the word "terrorist" and failing to address data security concerns…"

http://www.chile.usembassy.gov/hammeronvwp.html
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 09, 2014 3:42 pm

yea, I think camilla is just upset that they might not let her in.

Seriously though, they would likly flag most any Mapuche leader along with a whole lot of other people just because the word was associated with them somehow.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun May 11, 2014 9:35 am

Civil forfeiture is when police and prosecutors seize property, cars or cash from someone they suspect of wrongdoing. It differs from criminal forfeiture cases, where prosecutors typically must prove a person is guilty or reach a settlement before freezing funds or selling property. In civil forfeiture, authorities don’t have to prove guilt, file charges or obtain a conviction before seizing private property. Critics say it is a process ripe for abuse, and one which leaves citizens little means of fighting back.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05 ... -power-to/

If everyone is meant to be "equal before the law", does this mean the assets of a government official or agency can be seized when he/she/they are violating the law? If not, why not?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 12, 2014 2:02 pm

This has been going on since at least the start of the war on drugs in the 80's. My father was handling cases back in the 80's where even when the person had the criminal charges dropped or the person was aquitted by a jurry, it was not certain they would get their property back. It was a seperate, and often very costly, legal fight to get their stuff back that sometimes took years.

By the way, the same sorts of rules were being applied to kids too. They would sieze kids and put them in foster care right along with the house, boats, cars and so on. They were often not returned either.

The U.S. has been a police state for a very, very, very long time. Unfortunatly most americans are the preveribal frog in the pot of boiling water. They just don't notice the temperature rising around them.

I get calls every day from people saying things like, "it has gotten so bad in the United States now, ...."

Which often makes me scratch my head, and wonder where they have been living for the last 10, 20, 30, even 40 years? Some might make a real case for this having gone all the way back to the late 50's and 60's, but I believe most Americans were only starting to be directly effected by it in the 80's and later. It was not by accident it happens to coinside with the invention of the cheap microprocessor. It takes computing horse-power to control a population in any great numbers and consistently.

Now, acteully being aware of what was going on around them that far back, seems to be a diffrent story. The signs were there, if you were paying attention. I seen them, and lot's of other people seen them. Everyone else seems to have been, and most likly still are, in complete denial of what the U.S. has become. The "fix it" or "it will get better" crowd even needs to realize that ship has sailed at least a decade ago. 9/11 pretty much confirmed that.

john

Post by john » Mon May 12, 2014 3:08 pm

At least progressives and libertarians can agree on some civil liberties issues. :wink:

The Use and Abuse of Civil forfeiture: The New Yorker

Under civil forfeiture, Americans who haven't been charged with wrongdoing can be stripped of their cash, cars, and even homes. Is that all we're losing?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013 ... t_stillman

Easy Money: Civil Forfeiture Abuse by Police

http://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-r ... use-police
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue May 13, 2014 12:05 am

admin wrote:
I get calls every day from people saying things like, "it has gotten so bad in the United States now, ...."

Which often makes me scratch my head, and wonder where they have been living for the last 10, 20, 30, even 40 years? Some might make a real case for this having gone all the way back to the late 50's and 60's, but I believe most Americans were only starting to be directly effected by it in the 80's and later.
From John's links:
The result is a regime of racial profiling of black and Latino drivers on the highways, who are stopped and stripped of their money based on minimal or non-existent evidence.
Mr. Simmons' case demonstrates the extent to which civil asset forfeiture laws, formed to assist officers in fighting drug crimes, are misused against people of color in cases in which there is no evidence of criminal activity.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law- ... use-police
“For real-estate forfeitures, it’s overwhelmingly African-Americans and Hispanics,” Rulli told me. “It has a very disparate race and class impact.”

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013 ... rentPage=4

Because forfeiture actions tend to affect people who cannot easily fight back, even those who feel wronged seldom contest the seizures or seek public notice.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013 ... ntPage=all

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:35 pm

i have not been posting to this thread just because there is far too much now floating about on the whole topic to keep up with.

however this one piece stands out among the rest in recent weeks as a must read.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ionage-act

daniel ellsberg in responce to john kerry about snowden getting a fair trial.