Weather History

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

passport

Weather History

Post by passport » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 am

Where can I find historical wind speed data ? just need to know the max wind speed in Frutillar for roofing material considerations.

jamie_m

Re: Weather History

Post by jamie_m » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:49 am

you should be able to work it out from here.

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/climate.m ... etric=true

passport

Post by passport » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:31 am

Excellent thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 pm

yea, don't waist your time with that. Not sure where they get those, likly the puerto montt airport or Osorno,then stick the name frutillar on it. different animals.

Those numbers are really wrong. I can look out my window right now and tell you I got better than 80kmh wind speed, for the last two to three days, with gust well above that. Being july / august and el nino, the averages have been a lot higher than what is on that page (I am feeling the house move under me right now, but this house is also not that well built or that heavy).

You also need to take in to consideration the exact location. Frutillar alto, get's much higher winds from the ocean direction. Frutillar bajo, like today, gets super high winds off the lake, when there is a storm to the north and it curls back down and around the lake to come back at us in an NE to SW direction. Then you got the whole, is the house / property sheltered from one direction or another, and so on.

Use the 100 mile per hour or better standards often used in the states or canada, and you should be fine. for example, in a asphalt roofing tile use a full 4 - 5 nails, rather than 3. no staples, only roofing nails. metal roofs are ugly, but generally able to handle high winds better. again, more nails when possible.

bigger issues are roof pitch. no snow here, but low pitch roofs will have to deal with wind driven rain (windows and doors too). Also structures need to be really attached to the foundation and so on. In fact, I believe most structures here will take a bigger beating year after year from the wind in the winter months than they ever will from earthquakes. nails wiggling in their holes for years, salt air (most of chile is a marine enviroment) on none-galvinized nails, all will tend to loosen things up over time. We had a 5.0 or so a few months ago, hardly felt it. Later that night the wind came up, and it felt like a 6.0 to 7.0 for 8-12 hours.

I like using the codes around say coastal oregon or washington as an analogy / rule of thumb to southern chile's environment, as they are similar climates with similar building issues (rain, wind, little to no snow). If you hit all those requirements mas or menos, you are likely easily exceeding the requirements in Chile for building pretty much anywhere south of the Bio Bio river.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

passport

Post by passport » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Those posted numbers seemed awfully low - 76 km/h max ???

passport

Post by passport » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:10 pm

jamie_m wrote:you should be able to work it out from here.

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/climate.m ... etric=true
You are very savvy, maybe you can also tell me where to find historic annual heating/cooling degree day information ??? (not just for Chile) Thanks!

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:24 pm

here you go, it's not region specific but its also not just chile :)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34318847/Dagree-Days

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed May 09, 2018 11:36 pm

In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.