Movistar Prepago Sim

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

klrbilly

Movistar Prepago Sim

Post by klrbilly » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 am

Hi
Does anybody know how long a Movistar prepago sim will stay active before the number is recycled if not used.
I last used mine January this year and wondered if it is still good to go.
I think i left a little bit of credit on it.

Thanks in Advance......

admin
Site Admin

Re: Movistar Prepago Sim

Post by admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 am

don't know, but I have prepaid chip in my alarm system that seems work even if I go months without charging it. Recently I have not had a reason to turn on my house alarm, because there is almost always someone home.

We also have several clients that are out of the country for say 6+ months or more at a time, come back, recharge their phones without a problem.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 pm

My experience has been that anything over 5 or 6 months and the number ( and the chip) goes puffo. And I was never able to find a company that would allow me to prepay for more than 3 months validity. They are harsh here in Chile!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am

The numbers are recycled after roughly 8 months. Source: just called to Movistar and asked.
Per them, "the sim card is valid for 6 months after the last time it was topped up. After that, there is a 40 days in which you can only receive SMS and calls followed by a 14 days period in which it's only possible to receive SMS messages. After that the number will have 'caducado' and it can be recycled."

If you're outside Chile, you can still easily top-up the sim card through the Mobile Recharge website. They accept PayPal (so there will be no "sorry, Chilean cards only" Webpay nonsense). Last time I used them I was charged $1.48 as a service fee.

So, if it is important for you to keep the card active for whatever reason, you can do it for roughly $10 each six months.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:18 pm

I think that is probably similar for the prepago sim cards from Claro and Entel.

I have an old N.okia phone that I misplaced while moving to the house here. It had been lost for over a year when I found it last week. After putting a small charge on it, I was able to turn it on, but the chip was deactivated. The phone is Claro only. That was the second time that had happened to me with that phone. About three years ago it had become a backup phone and I did not use it much. I forgot to use it every now and then, so the chip was deactivated.

klrbilly

Post by klrbilly » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi
Thanks for the info..
Looks like i will buy a new sim at SCL.
Have you got the link to the mobile recharge site and then next year i will keep topping it up.
Thanks

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Sure, it's this one: www.mobilerecharge.com

There are likely dozens of similar services, this one just happens to be the one I have used previously.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

That is great news. Thank you for this, Tia! Yet another of the gems of information that are to be found on this site!