2004 Chrysler @Santiago- Only 70K miles- Super good Condition- US plate -$2000

Buy, Sell, Trade, or just give away things with other members of the Chile forum community. Postings will run for 15 days.
Forum rules
Link restrictions are lifted in the Chile Classifieds section for New Users to the Chile Forum. Only one link per post is permitted. ALL posts must be an offer for something for sale IN CHILE. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY FORUM ADMIN!! NO DISCUSSIONS OF OTHER SUBJECTS. ALL POSTS MUST BE DIRECT QUESTIONS TO THE OP, ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE SELLING.
jojourney

2004 Chrysler @Santiago- Only 70K miles- Super good Condition- US plate -$2000

Post by jojourney » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:21 pm

We are sold! Thanks everyone.
Attachments
lemmy 2.jpg

HybridAmbassador

Re: 2004 Chrysler @Santiago- Only 70K miles- Super good Condition- US plate -$2000

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:16 pm

I was imagining that Chrysler to be a 4wd vehicle but never expected to be the PT Cruiser bread wagon! Anyway, you can not sell a foreign registered " used vehicle" there in Chile. You may sell it to other SA traveling ex-pats. I seen many affordable vehicle seekers from Patagonia bound travelers looking to buy a transportation of their own. But that PT cruiser.. Is it 4wd at least?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

jojourney

Re: 2004 Chrysler @Santiago- Only 70K miles- Super good Condition- US plate -$2000

Post by jojourney » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:28 pm

Haha impossible is nothing.

No unfortunately it is not a 4WD. But we drove it through 6 countries, 30000 miles, and of course Patagonia, Atacama and etc (we started from Ushuaia), didn't find it was an issue. Most of roads were in good conditions and most of places were very accessible, when we went off roads we just go slow and careful. In my memory only one route we could not finish with our car, that was Ruta De Las Lagunas.

Yes other travelers or expats who plan to leave Chile would be my buyers. Can I ask where did you see these vehicle seekers?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 pm

ouch.

even at $2000, the buyer would need a power of attorney to even get around. rare parts, do they even sell those in chile?

who ever buys it has to take it out of the country (thus a power of attorney). they would need to register it in some other country. hope the boarder guys except the power of attorney.

before getting to the a 2004 american made car driven in the patagonia. sorry, but there is areason american cars are stuck at the botyom of consumer reports.

that said, in another 10 years, it will probably be very collectiable just for the body style, and we are all going to kick ourselves when one sells at auction for $100,000+. still way cool.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:06 pm

You might just want to reconsider driving "Lemmy" back to the states.

Saying you have maintenance history and invoices on the service record, but it sounds like a lot of those documents may be from countries like Bolivia, Peru, etc it is basically impossibly to verify. I am not suggesting you would, but in Chile, forged maintenance history is not rare.

I am just curious...why "Lemmy"? I read my wife your post and immediately she balked asking "Lemmy as in Lemon?". Perhaps just a bad coincidence. Again, I believe everything you said, but maybe it would be best to drive it back to the states and sell it there.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:23 pm

mem wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:06 pm

Saying you have maintenance history and invoices on the service record, but it sounds like a lot of those documents may be from countries like Bolivia, Peru, etc it is basically impossibly to verify. I am not suggesting you would, but in Chile, forged maintenance history is not rare.

I am just curious...why "Lemmy"? I read my wife your post and immediately she balked asking "Lemmy as in Lemon?". Perhaps just a bad coincidence. Again, I believe everything you said, but maybe it would be best to drive it back to the states and sell it there.
Or maybe like the musician ? Thats some heavy metal.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:42 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 pm
ouch.

even at $2000, the buyer would need a power of attorney to even get around. rare parts, do they even sell those in chile?

who ever buys it has to take it out of the country (thus a power of attorney). they would need to register it in some other country. hope the boarder guys except the power of attorney.

before getting to the a 2004 american made car driven in the patagonia. sorry, but there is areason american cars are stuck at the botyom of consumer reports.

that said, in another 10 years, it will probably be very collectiable just for the body style, and we are all going to kick ourselves when one sells at auction for $100,000+. still way cool.
So leaving out the mechanical side of it, from a paperwork point of view, would
Just a power of attorney be enough? what other things would a foreigner living in Chile need to buy this, ? Could they buy it ?
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 am

you would have to drive it over the boarder to renew the papers regularly.

in theory, you could drive it with a POA indefinetly. until something happened. you probably could never insure it. they would want the original owner to sign.

it would never be a regular car you could own outright and resell in chile.

i don't know. i guess if someone was ambitious they could off-load it in a duty free zone, but that will probably cost more than the car is worth.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jojourney

Post by jojourney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Admin, you think so? even $2000 is too much to ask for? We definitely bought it way too expensive then!

But in fact, foreign plated cars are easier to travel with compare to with local plates, the processes are a lot simpler than getting a RUT, bringing the vehicle back every 180 days and stuff like that, also in some countries there are restrictions for foreigners to buy a local car and drive it outside of the country!

We drove with a Poder, which we got from Argentina, for 4 months in South America, entered Chile 3 times, Argentina 3 times, then Uruguay and Brazil! We only changed our plate(new ownership in the US brings a new plate) after left Brazil.

This car is perfect for travelers, but not for residents here in Chile.

It come in with a TIP which will expire in 3 months, meaning you will have to leave the country, or as what admin mentioned, to do a border run time by tim; BUT, it's an open question whether or not Chilean drivers license holders can drive this car legally in Chile. One thing we are sure about is, Chilean passport holders CAN NOT drive it.

So to sum it up,
1, Yes, with a poder you can drive the car in and out as you like.
All the borders we crossed, from Patagonia to south Chile then Los Andes, never was a question asked. That's one of the advantages of travelling with an american plate.

2, No, you can not import and sell it in Chile, unless in Iqieque.
We drove from Lima to Santiago to meet our buyer, and the b**** bailed on us (I am very emotional, it was a 4000km drive and we had to do it in 5 days!) . Well long story short, in Iqieque we met this agent who is known for helping foreigners to legally sell their cars there; However, even that, there are restrictions in using a Iqieque plated car, I am sure these information are available online.

3, No, it's not ideal to have this car as your regular vehicle in Chile.
We only know foreigners with tourist visas can drive it in and out, unsure about other type of visas when it comes to border runs.

4, Ownership transfer happens in the US.

Lastly, why the name, Lemmy? Seems like 41southchile is the only one listens to decent metal music? Well I actually don't know much about it, my husband picked it up and I liked it for the fact that's the name of a little lamb our host adopted in Ye, South Myanmar.

Have a happy holiday people.

jojourney

Post by jojourney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:15 pm

If we didn't have to end the trip, that was the original plan to cross South, Central, and go back to North America, where it'd be a lot easier for us to sell it, and for a better price than $2000....

Well plan changes, it is what it is.

I wasn't aware of the forged maintenance histories in South America, but since you brought it up now it makes sense! At home we never heard of such a thing so I guess we were quite lucky to have bought a car in SA with no problem.... :D

mem wrote:

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:01 pm

jojourney wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:15 pm
If we didn't have to end the trip, that was the original plan to cross South, Central, and go back to North America, where it'd be a lot easier for us to sell it, and for a better price than $2000....

Well plan changes, it is what it is.

I wasn't aware of the forged maintenance histories in South America, but since you brought it up now it makes sense! At home we never heard of such a thing so I guess we were quite lucky to have bought a car in SA with no problem.... :D

mem wrote:

You can sell it in Peru. All sorts of imported used vehicles can be unloaded there. Peru seems not caring much about how old the vehicle and its mileage on it. So best is, just make it to Peru and you can perhaps recoupe some of your investment on that PT cruiser..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:00 pm

wish you the best of luck, but used american registered cars in chile are hassles snd money pits. another country will be much easier to sell.

my new favorite trick for dealing with used vehicals is pull out an odb ll reader, and ask the owner if i can plug it in to read the computer. more informative than what the computer says (some cars don't tell you much of anything), is how hard the seller squirms when you do it. half of them often don't even know what was done to their car, but they probably suspect that shady mechanic they hired did something. the other half, know and never thought someone would or could check.