Nice scam with DHL / Aduanas in Santiago

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
Andres

Re: Nice scam with DHL / Aduanas in Santiago

Post by Andres » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Here is the bit y'all are missing.
There are two 'taxes' which must be considered: import duty and sales tax (e.g. IVA, GST, VAT).
In MOST countries, the assessable value of imported goods for the purpose of determining import duty is the FOB value.
In MOST countries, the assessable value of imported goods for the purpose of determining sales tax (IVA in the case of Chile) is CIF (i.e. FOB plus insurance plus freight), plus any import duty paid.

Thus, the poster's comment
However, somebody at the aduana decided to add (!) the charge for "flete" ie the cost of the Fedex shipment, to the $30 US value of the contents. Suddenly there is IVA due, plus various other little items, totaling about 10.000 CLP.
makes sense in this context.

Aduana was just carrying out the common practice of determining value for the purpose of assessing for sales tax.
Of course, actions vary between countries and individual officials, especially in Chile. Sometimes the amount of customs duty and sales tax is too small to bother with because it costs more to administer than what is collected, and they ignore them; sometimes not.

I hope this clarifies it.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Ehhh. Maybe not. This is from Investopedia.com:

"Cost, Insurance and Freight CIF and Free on Board FOB are international shipping agreements used in the transportation of goods between a buyer and a seller. The specific definitions are different for every country, but CIF and FOB have similar uses. They differ in who assumes responsibility for the goods during transit. Both contracts specify origin and destination information that is used to determine where liability officially begins and ends."
Aha, I assumed CIF was a Spanish abbreviation, since the Chilean Customs used that term in their email to me (the itemised list in the original post). Sorry for the confusion.
Andres wrote:Here is the bit y'all are missing.
There are two 'taxes' which must be considered: import duty and sales tax (e.g. IVA, GST, VAT).
In MOST countries, the assessable value of imported goods for the purpose of determining import duty is the FOB value.
In MOST countries, the assessable value of imported goods for the purpose of determining sales tax (IVA in the case of Chile) is CIF (i.e. FOB plus insurance plus freight), plus any import duty paid.

Thus, the poster's comment
However, somebody at the aduana decided to add (!) the charge for "flete" ie the cost of the Fedex shipment, to the $30 US value of the contents. Suddenly there is IVA due, plus various other little items, totaling about 10.000 CLP.
makes sense in this context.
Yes, makes sense, that's also what Chilean Customs did in my case. I only got annoyed when DHL started charging for things I'd already paid for.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 am

Nothing but problems and inconsistency with Chilean Aduanas....