llamica Pellet stoves

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
Kel

llamica Pellet stoves

Post by Kel » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Llamica Pellet stoves seemed like a really neat idea. They make Pellet stoves that run without electrecity. That would be great when the electricity went out, right? And it came with a 1 year guarantee!

So I paid over $1000 (800 mil) for one of their stoves and had it installed. I followed the directions for lighting and running it and fired it up. It filled my house with smoke. Smoke poured out of the stove, out of the cañoes. (Some even came out the Chimney on the roof.) We tried running it awhile, letting it heat up. Nothing solved the problem. House was so smokey fire alarm went off and I started coughing. Have tried again on various occasions.

Now have called LLamica multiple times. They say I did this wrong or that wrong. Refuse to let me return the stove. Say the guarantee doesn't apply in this case, etc. etc. Getting the Chilean run-a-round.

The fire in the stove is very small due to pellets burning. My analysis is that my ceiling is too high and the fumes cool off before reaching the exit so it isn't drafting well. Generally a stove drafts better with a taller chimney but there is an upper limit and I think my ceiling exceeds it for this stove.

Its sad because I really like the concept of a pellet stove that doesn't use electricity. Its a cool concept. I would recommend avoiding llamica stoves unless you live in a low-ceiling Chilean house. It probably would work fine with a low ceiling.
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

admin
Site Admin

Re: llamica Pellet stoves

Post by admin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:57 am

I would do some googling on the proportions of the draft. as I recall there is some sort of magic number of the part of chimney that is above the roof vs. below the roof inside the house, to get the magic draft flow going.

one trick might be a double tube, with rock wool insulation, extended down further than just around your roof penetration. idea is to keep the part inside the house warmer than the cold part outside.

I seen a video years ago by a guy that did custom open stone fire places, and he said something like a well designed fireplace should never smoke inside a house, ever. The draft is constant, with or without a fire in it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 am

quick other thought.

it is summer. the tube inside the house might be colder than the outside part of the tube, making hard to get a draft flowing the right direction. basically there is a temp inversion blocking the tube.

just some thoughts / guesses.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 am

what got me thinking about that last one is a bosca i have in the corner of my house I don't use. It came with the house. The house got upgraded to a gas caldera system. In fact I have meaning to remove it, and never even tried it out because I can tell just by listening to the air flow that it was badly installed. They have this rediculas long chimney on it, which is a sign they had trouble with it from the start. I just have been putting off the project because it means replacing an entire section of the roof.

well, the sun hits it, and the tube above roof will quickly heat up until it is too hot to touch; while the interior of the house is still cool. say a 10 degree celcius diffrence or more between the two.

mem

Post by mem » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:43 am

I didn't realise they had the ones that don't need electricity in Chile. Only one I ever saw for sale was in the US and it had a giant high gravity hopper to feed the pellets.

I agree...assuming this has happened during the current summer, maybe stall it out for now and wait for a legit cold day.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 am

eletricity is to run the fan in most pellet systems.

Kel

Post by Kel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:48 am

Good ideas.

I've looked up the draft parameters and the installation is inside the brackets of what I can find.

Regarding trying it on a cold day: We tried it the third week in January when it was about 35-40 degrees outside (we live in the mountains and January was cold). I haven't fired it up since it has become hot.

Admin's idea of running a double cañoe the whole way down might work. It would be a lot of work to try it and it would look kind of strange. I might try it though. I'd really like the stove to work.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 am

Kel wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:48 am
Good ideas.

I've looked up the draft parameters and the installation is inside the brackets of what I can find.

Regarding trying it on a cold day: We tried it the third week in January when it was about 35-40 degrees outside (we live in the mountains and January was cold). I haven't fired it up since it has become hot.

Admin's idea of running a double cañoe the whole way down might work. It would be a lot of work to try it and it would look kind of strange. I might try it though. I'd really like the stove to work.
a false chimney might solve both problems. looks better and keeps the flue warm.

Kel

Post by Kel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 pm

Maybe it would.

But would you build a false chimney and see if it worked? Or would you take the stove back and get one that worked without going to all the trouble of constructing one?

chilly

Post by chilly » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Do you think contacting SERNAC would give you leverage with the seller, assuming you prefer to return it?