Chile customer service really is a torture chamber

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
hlf2888

Chile customer service really is a torture chamber

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:22 pm

After almost 6 years here, I am aware of the torture chamber disguised as Chilean customer service. The catch phrases in this torture chamber are Lo siento, no puede hacer, lamentablemente no puede hacer.

All I wanted to know was if the restaurant in the Jumbo store in Talca would serve paella on Good Friday. They have served paella before on holidays in the past. It is a 90 minute drive and I do not want to make the trip unless they serve it. Their paella was better than the paella in a trip advisor recommended restaurant in Concepcion. I am too hypocritical to make it myself, cannot bear to kill the mussels and other shellfish.

So I called the main number. No he could not give me the number of the store because they could not accept outside calls. No he did not know if they would serve paella. And they were not answering the direct line that he had to the store. He said to call back in 20 minutes and try again. He was polite but powerless to help. Typical customer service in Chile.

at46

Re: CHILE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS REALLY A TORTURE CHAMBER

Post by at46 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm

How do you compare tripadvisor paella to jumbo paella? :)

When I come across restaurant food that I really like, I try to find out exactly who cooked it and only eat that person's food thereafter. Unfortunately, here in Chile, I just haven't found anyone worth driving 10 minutes for, let alone 1.5 hours...

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Try paella de verduras and consider yourself no longer a hypocrit. Vegans save the world again. :D

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:51 pm
Try paella de verduras and consider yourself no longer a hypocrit. Vegans save the world again. :D
Paella de verduras? Consider yourself lucky that you live in Chile. If you were in Spain, it would be insulting....paella is what it is because of the different ingredients from land to sea........"paella de verduras.... WTF " as Gordon Ramsay would say.....
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 pm

at46, Aha, then you have never tried the paella from the Jumbo Rincon in Talca. It is memorable, mouth-watering, authentic. They have a grill and cook everything to perfection, the sausage is fat with delicious juices, the shellfish is succulent and perfect, not rubbery, the rice aromatically flavored with saffron and herbs. It is orgasmic. It is hard to believe I am still in Chile. I am on my second call to Chilean customer service, the paella is worth the torture chamber.

Britkid, I am delightfully unshackled by too many rigid belief systems. There is nothing I believe in 100% unless it is the fact that I do not believe in anything 100%. Belief systems tend to close the mind to other beliefs. Although I rarely eat meat, I do indulge a few times each year. That is enough for me. And yes, I am open minded enough to try the paella de verduras, do you have a recipe?

Gloria, where do you go for your paella or are you able to kill the poor frightened shellfish and make your own?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Gloria, where do you go for your paella or are you able to kill the shellfish and make your own?
I don't eat out, all is done at home. I cook every single day with fresh ingredients. Husband don't care for seafood so I don't make paella.....I love it though. If I'm able to kill shellfish? For sure, I have no problems with it.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:53 pm

[ If I'm able to kill shellfish? For sure, I have no problems with it.
[/quote]

They would kill us if they had the chance, and besides, I think they want to be killed :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:06 pm

You really think that is in the handbook for a Jumbo employee at the help line?

That is hands down one of the most crappy run companies in the country; but, you are asking about them to cook something specific on good Friday at a restaurant?

They are lucky they are still solvent. Try Lider / wallmart help line. Perhaps they have it in their handbook.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 pm

It is slow food, admin. Takes hours on a grill for the sausage, little less time for the chicken and even less time for the shellfish. Most restaurants will not take the time to do this for just one or two people. There is a "paella" restaurant in el centro, Santiago but their sausage was dried out and their shellfish overcooked. Another restaurant in Concepcion prepares it but they did not have the authentic juicy sausages and the shellfish were rubbery. It is a difficult dish to make perfectly and in Chile, perfect restaurant dishes are very very rare.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Good luck in your search in contacting the Jumbo. Next time get talking to them and get a number for Whatsapp, especially since that cook may move on elsewhere.

JMO for the day:

Just part of the cycle of life as even plants, insects and animals die so land can be cleared and cultivated with plants that must die for human or animal consumption.

Try to eat local veggies and meats, try to stick with non-CAFO meat pastured or from small operations that are actually more in tune with nature than large scale agro.

And yes, I have captured and killed for my own consumption. Again, the cycle of life from the beginning of time. Way it is.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:28 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 pm
It is slow food, admin. Takes hours on a grill for the sausage, little less time for the chicken and even less time for the shellfish. Most restaurants will not take the time to do this for just one or two people. There is a "paella" restaurant in el centro, Santiago but their sausage was dried out and their shellfish overcooked. Another restaurant in Concepcion prepares it but they did not have the authentic juicy sausages and the shellfish were rubbery. It is a difficult dish to make perfectly and in Chile, perfect restaurant dishes are very very rare.
Forget Jumbo. Instead look for a true Spanish restaurant where you may find paella in the menu.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Paella a la Valenciana. I cook that famed cazuela once in a while. Every time I cook the Paella, tend to put too much ingredients in it and the result is the abundant left over from it. 1st get a large enough deep frying pan and start roasting the Basmati rice then add the prepared soup.
Bring it to boil then reduce heat to medium, when seeing the rice absorbing the juice and increasing in size, then add the chorizo,shirimp,chicken bits already pan fried into the simmering rice along the Saffron. Then finally a few minutes before extinguishing the heat off, then add the mussels and any other bits of mariscos such as the octopus, bits of cods etc. Cover with the pan's lid for about 5 minutes then Voila! Add enough Italian parsley too.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.