Looking for help to resolve difficult cell phone problem

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
RuneTheChookcha

Re: Looking for help to resolve difficult cell phone problem

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:26 am

Not sure about Apple, but while investigating Samsung Galaxies, it seems that there is a feature named "Region Lock" (not just country lock) and to find out whether this lock is active is extremely difficult.

Further, on the XDA developers board, professionals state that any firmware update has the potential of turning a region-unlocked phone into a region-locked phone. Likewise, newly manufactured phones with the newest firmware could contain any number of new surprises.

It seems that for the Galaxies, making a first call in the out-of-region country turns the phone into a region-locked one.

Thus, if for example a shiny-new Chilean phone, just out of box, marketed for Lat Am, was first activated in Europe -- this would be bad. But if first called from within Chile and then imported to Europe that should be fine.

Once again, not sure if Apple uses the region-lock model above the country locking (that is in turn above the Network lock/SIm lock).

Mainecoons

Post by Mainecoons » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 am

jehturner wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 pm
One has to wonder what sort of dodgy arrangement makes it economical to export phones from Chile to the US...
Agree. When I bought the phones there was no indication they were Chilean. The first tip off was the charger plug with the round prongs which sent me looking for the origin. What is stranger here is the phones have no record with Apple or when checked by third party as being blacklisted or stolen.

Go figure.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:32 am

And just in case, regarding the nationwide Chilean blacklists there seems to be none. However, Entel and Movistar have their own shared database of IMEI (accessible online, there must be public query on the net, forgot the address), and Claro has their own database not linked to the "Entel/Movistars"). To further complicate things, virtual operators (like Virgin or Falabella) though operate over Movistar or Entel networks -- yet maintain their own blacklist databases.

npugh22

Post by npugh22 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm

I can't testify to the legitimacy of such websites, but it looks like there are websites that offer the unlocking service as a 3rd party.

https://unlockiphoneden.com/reviews.php

might be worth trying...

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 pm
The "unlocked" claim which is now BS for Chile sourced devices. Seems like that reg a couple of years ago (all Chile bought phones must work with any provider in Chile) pissed off the cell companies in Chile who complied but then made it Chile-only in the firmware.
Groan; another restrictive practice. But Chileans paying that much money for a phone are going to be pretty pissed off if it doesn't work abroad??

passport

Post by passport » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:34 am

Try calling this shop in Pto Varas:
I have only the phone number, not the name: +56 9439 9746
It is an Apple service shop and the savvy owner helped me with a USA locked iPhone in September.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm

jehturner wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
The "unlocked" claim which is now BS for Chile sourced devices. Seems like that reg a couple of years ago (all Chile bought phones must work with any provider in Chile) pissed off the cell companies in Chile who complied but then made it Chile-only in the firmware.
Groan; another restrictive practice. But Chileans paying that much money for a phone are going to be pretty pissed off if it doesn't work abroad??
As long as you use a Chilean SIM card it will work fine, even though you are abroad.

For OP - did you try the unlock process on the Movistar CL site?
http://www.movistar.cl/desbloqueo-de-eq ... 1497025719

klrbilly

Post by klrbilly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi
Has anyone registered a foreign mobile to use with a local sim in Chile since the new rules came in.
I have a UK mobile that i used in Chile with a Chile movistar sim last year.
I will be back in Chile at Christmas time.
Will my phone work because it has already been used in Chile, or will i have to register it ???
Hope somebody can help as i really need my phone straight off the plane

Mainecoons

Post by Mainecoons » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:27 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm
jehturner wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
As long as you use a Chilean SIM card it will work fine, even though you are abroad.

That site requires a Movistar Chilean cell phone number. These phones have never been activated.

Interesting though, I got this from DoctorSim and when I ran the IMEI numbers through it they shown unblocked. I am guessing this is for Chile only though and does not include that international block.
Hello Daniel,

Stepping in here to assist. Clearly this thread has run too long.

First thing we are going to do is refund your order and the blacklist check. You will get separate confirmation emails for those refunds.

Second, we are going to figure out what is going on. Apparently our GSMA network partnership has not flagged your phone as blacklisted, and neither does it show as such on the Movistar Chile site.(this site won't let me post the link, sorry.)

We have not seen a case where the actual Apple Server status returned, not only a bound operator, but a blacklist status.

We are going to look into this and try to get you a solution.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm
Umm, that page says: (my bold)
Desde enero de 2012 todos los equipos móviles Movistar, son entregados desbloqueados, y funcionan con cualquier operador dentro de Chile.
Sin embargo, si tu equipo lo adquiriste antes de esta fecha, puedes solicitar el desbloqueo para su uso dentro del territorio nacional sin costo alguno ingresando el IMEI a continuación:
Since large-scale theft of new mobiles is not exactly unknown here I would guess this country block measure is meant to be a deterrent against the export of new stolen phones. As with many things here, we all pay the price for living in a kleptocracy.
Après moi, le déluge

Mainecoons

Post by Mainecoons » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Paypal gave me my money back very quickly. I think you may be right fraggle092 that these phones were stolen some where in Chile. Neither they nor I ever heard from the seller. Maybe I should check the name against the outstanding warrants list there in Chile. :mrgreen:

Interesting though when you run the IMEI check on Movistar per the link DoctorSIM sent me, it comes up clean. However, Apple shows both are blacklisted.

PayPal is not asking me to return the phones. I've got two really handsome paperweights here.

This was very interesting and I am very impressed with how helpful and savvy this group is. Hopefully some of you will be up our way some time, I'd enjoy meeting you. Thank you all very much!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm

klrbilly wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 pm
Hi
Has anyone registered a foreign mobile to use with a local sim in Chile since the new rules came in.
I have a UK mobile that i used in Chile with a Chile movistar sim last year.
I will be back in Chile at Christmas time.
Will my phone work because it has already been used in Chile, or will i have to register it ???
Hope somebody can help as i really need my phone straight off the plane
I've been using an unlocked by USA AT&T phone for a while with a Chile SIM and nothing has changed since the new reg came into effect. In fact, I am using it in Argieland as we speak.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat