Looking for help to resolve difficult cell phone problem

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
Gloria

Re: Looking for help to resolve difficult cell phone problem

Post by Gloria » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Mainecoons wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:18 pm

I couldn't talk someone there who is a fluent Spanish speaker into calling Movistar with the IMEI numbers and see if some sort of contact could be generated? I know this is asking a lot of someone but I'm at my wits end with this thing. I'm out $500 and having to find phones for the kids before Christmas.
Calling anyone in Movistar for any reason is a total waste of time so is better to ask questions in person. I'm fluent but I won't be going to town til this coming Wednesday. The part I don't understand is...who bought those phones here in Chile? a total stranger and then sold them to you?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 pm

From the comments I was reading in Spanish, it seems to be a problem with Movistar.

http://www.chw.net/foro/iphone-os/11060 ... ional.html

Mainecoons

Post by Mainecoons » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:55 am

Gloria wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm
Mainecoons wrote:

I couldn't talk someone there who is a fluent Spanish speaker into calling Movistar with the IMEI numbers and see if some sort of contact could be generated? I know this is asking a lot of someone but I'm at my wits end with this thing. I'm out $500 and having to find phones for the kids before Christmas.
Calling anyone in Movistar for any reason is a total waste of time so is better to ask questions in person. I'm fluent but I won't be going to town til this coming Wednesday. The part I don't understand is...who bought those phones here in Chile? a total stranger and then sold them to you?
That's the part I don't understand either. The seller is a person by the name of Joan Miguel Hernandez Toledo according to PayPal. She has been on EBay since 2009 (I always look at the seller history before buying) and until this transaction had a very good record. After I bought the phones, a couple months later three other buyers from the same transaction posted the phones could not be locked and she did not respond to requests. PayPal actually shows the seller's direct email address so I sent one there explaining the problem and asking her to resolve it, with no answer.

This was posted on EBay U.S. There was absolutely no indication the phones were foreign, let alone Chilean, and they were represented as new in box factory unlocked. The latter part is where the problem started. They are new in box, never activated. I figured out the Chile part by looking at the charger adapter in the box and then contacting Apple. Apple said they must be unlocked outside of Apple so I started contacting unlocking services, working with the ones with the best reputation on line. Several of them said they can't unlock Movistar Chile phones because they are country locked.

DoctorSim is considered one of the best and they are still attempting to help me. They determined the phones are not stolen (though I wonder if they might be listed that way in Chile) and confirmed they originated with Movistar Chile.

I will try the Discover Chile Facebook page, thanks for the suggestion at46.

Frozen, you are right that link is full of interesting stuff, thanks very much indeed for it as it will be very useful in my chargeback action and also Dr. Sim may find it helpful. They are mentioned several times in that thread.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Mainecoons wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:55 am
Gloria wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm
Mainecoons wrote:

That's the part I don't understand either. The seller is a person by the name of Joan Miguel Hernandez Toledo according to PayPal. Wrong! The name must be JUAN MIGUEL, therefore is a he and not a she. She has been on EBay since 2009 (I always look at the seller history before buying) and until this transaction had a very good record. After I bought the phones, a couple months later three other buyers from the same transaction posted the phones could not be locked and she did not respond to requests. PayPal actually shows the seller's direct email address so I sent one there explaining the problem and asking her to resolve it, with no answer.Not unusual.

This was posted on EBay U.S. There was absolutely no indication the phones were foreign,? let alone Chilean?, and they were represented as new in box factory unlockedBUYER BE AWARE!. The latter part is where the problem started. They are new in box, never activated. I figured out the Chile part by looking at the charger adapter in the box and then contacting Apple.How can you tell, could be anywhere in Latin America! Apple said they must be unlocked outside of Apple so I started contacting unlocking services, working with the ones with the best reputation on line. Several of them said they can't unlock Movistar Chile phones because they are country locked.
Honestly, I would like to suggest to put this in your box of "bad experiences" and move on with your life. You are wasting precious time by trying to correct your f*** up and you won't succeed until you let go. The whole point is to learn from your mistakes so you lost $500 bucks but you got a lot more wisdom than before with your "donation". Get new apple IPhones for the grandkids and I truly hope they'll appreciate your "blood, sweat and tears" although I know by 2019 they'll asking for something better and more expensive.....and grandpa will do it all over again! God help us!! :roll:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:24 pm

That's pretty bad luck. I believe EBay has some buyer's protection scheme though, which ought to cover items not being as described?

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Ebay them to someone in Chile.......
It's all about the wine.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:48 pm

jehturner wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:24 pm
That's pretty bad luck. I believe EBay has some buyer's protection scheme though, which ought to cover items not being as described?
Yes but it has limitations.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm

The problem with Paypal is that you only have 45 days to register a complaint.
Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support. My name is Juan and I am happy to assist you.

I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause but unfortunately the claim that you wanted to open was closed since it’s been more than 45 days. Also after reviewing your account, I don’t see a refund made by the company. I am really sorry for this bad experience your having, however the system won’t allow a claim to be open for a transaction older than 45 days. I recommend for you to contact your card issuer or bank and see if they can open a claim for you since you did not received anything.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.
But I did what Paypal suggested and eventually got a chargeback although it took a couple of months.
Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Mainecoons, there are so many "used iphones" in Amazon and Google for sale from around a $100 bucks to $200's
Why don't you just get one and put your current phone issue in the back-burner for now?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 pm

One has to wonder what sort of dodgy arrangement makes it economical to export phones from Chile to the US...

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 pm

jehturner wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 pm
One has to wonder what sort of dodgy arrangement makes it economical to export phones from Chile to the US...
The "unlocked" claim which is now BS for Chile sourced devices. Seems like that reg a couple of years ago (all Chile bought phones must work with any provider in Chile) pissed off the cell companies in Chile who complied but then made it Chile-only in the firmware.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Mainecoons

Post by Mainecoons » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks to every one for their input and suggestions, some of which have really helped shed light on this situation. I am pursuing recourse through PayPal. If that doesn't work I may also look into ways to sell the phones there where they would work.