Looking for help to resolve difficult cell phone problem

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
Mainecoons

Looking for help to resolve difficult cell phone problem

Post by Mainecoons » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 am

Stumbled across this group while trying to solve my problem with two Chilean IPhones 6s. Too late I found out that although cell phones in Chile must be unlocked for all in country carriers since 2012, the carriers put country locks on the phones that makes them unusable anywhere but Chile. I am in Mexico and bought these for my grandkids. They are new in box, I have all the documentation and numbers for them.

I found out about the country lock from postings on other sites, including Apple forums, by Chileans wanting to use their cell phones with outside carriers when on extended foreign travel. It seems that these Chilean carriers have figured out they can use these locks to force you all to pay high roaming fees when you are out of country. Sleazy!

A lot of detective work reveals the phones are NOT blacklisted so I should be able to own and use them. This is the result of checking with both AppleCare and a third party phone unlocking service. As part of this, the phones were traced to Movistar Chile. I have not found any unlocking service that can get rid of the Chile country lock and Apple will not do it.

Thus far I have been unable to establish a working interaction with this company, they only show a telephone number for consumer issues, no email. I am both hearing impaired and very weak in Spanish, particularly on the telephone. That's why I'm trying to establish a written connection with them over which I can send blacklist reports and other data verifying the phones are clean and assigned to Movistar Chile.

They have a Facebook page but are unresponsive to queries left there. It is like trying to deal with a big amorphous blob. :shock:

Apple, of course, while confirming the phones are clean will not remove the country lock but says I have to get Movistar to do so.

So here is my question/request:

1. Does anyone have an email contact or way to get in touch in writing with Telefonica Movistar Chile technical support services?

2. Can you refer me to anyone in country who might be able to assist me in this matter?

This is a very interesting site. I got a little chuckle out of some of the threads, they read like a lot of the stuff we deal with here in Mexico. I'm located south of Guadalajara in Lake Chapala, we actually have a few people who have moved from Chile to here.

Thank you all very much for any assistance or advice you can offer.

HybridAmbassador

Re: Looking for help to resolve difficult cell phone problem

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:36 pm

That is due to new Mobile registration for foreigners for use in Chile. This topic was posted by the RichOne previously so lifted his article to inform all incoming traveler with foreign cell phones with the intent to use it in Chile.

All Mobile phones coming from abroad can be used in roaming mode without problems . In order to insert a Sim from a local carrier the Mobile must be registered with a Subtel local Agency to function.

http://multibanda.cl/soy-extranjero-foreigner/
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Mainecoons wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 am

So here is my question/request:

1. Does anyone have an email contact or way to get in touch in writing with Telefonica Movistar Chile technical support services?

2. Can you refer me to anyone in country who might be able to assist me in this matter?

This is a very interesting site. I got a little chuckle out of some of the threads, they read like a lot of the stuff we deal with here in Mexico. I'm located south of Guadalajara in Lake Chapala, we actually have a few people who have moved from Chile to here.

Thank you all very much for any assistance or advice you can offer.
I tried to get in to their website but my connection is so poor that I was unable to. Unfortunately the meaning of the words "customer or technical services" is completely unknown to Chileans. It may be written in many places but applied in none and we are pretty much on our own most of the time. Even if you contact a person with a pulse, they'll tell you what your ears want to hear and walk away into the horizon. I would suggest to get someone in Guadalajara that sells IPhones but in the back room is unlocking cells and for some few pesos to do "their magic". There's no other way.
I had the opportunity of visiting Ajijic many moons ago and loved it. Guadalajara is very beautiful but.....I can't stand the roaches...roaches everywhere's!!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:53 pm

No, this predates the registering of foreign phones. I can tell you from personal experience that if you bought the phones from Movistar they will possibly unlock them for you. I say possibly as I have Entel and they will do it IF you bought the phone from them. I wanted pay-as-you-go and an Entel sim. I bought mine in a department store, not in an Entel office, and they would therefore not unlock them. The only recourse was to go to some little shop and trust them to unlock the phone. People alerted me to an online unlocking service but no one I knew had used it. You could have a look.
https://www.doctorsim.com/us-en/unlock-phone/
My solution was to buy a phone at my destination. I now have a UK phone, a USA phone and a Chile phone!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Last year when I visited the US I ordered a Samsung Galaxy5 unlocked in Ebay and received in NJ.......(I know, I know...old technology) and it worked here in Chile just fine (still have it). Yep, I paid about $60 bucks. Makes calls, sends messages, and WSP. Nothing fancy but does the job intended for. :alien:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:53 pm

My solution was to buy a phone at my destination. I now have a UK phone, a USA phone and a Chile phone!
That's exactly what I intend to do when I go back again and since I'll be having the same itinerary I was wondering if there's a cell phone store at the Miami airport. Need to look into it.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:24 pm

I found some comments that said that if you bought the phone with a contract, you would have to wait 18 months.

I also found these pages from Peru, which I don't know if they are of any help:
¿Cómo desbloquear un Celular?

http://www.movistar.com.pe/movil/desbloqueo
Te enseñamos cómo desbloquear tu celular Movistar

http://hablasmart.movistar.com.pe/2015/ ... -movistar/

Mainecoons

Post by Mainecoons » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:06 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:36 pm
That is due to new Mobile registration for foreigners for use in Chile. This topic was posted by the RichOne previously so lifted his article to inform all incoming traveler with foreign cell phones with the intent to use it in Chile.

All Mobile phones coming from abroad can be used in roaming mode without problems . In order to insert a Sim from a local carrier the Mobile must be registered with a Subtel local Agency to function.
The phone ORIGINATED in Chile, I am trying to use them in Mexico. The problem here is that the phones are COUNTRY locked. So they can only be used in Chile. This seems to be unique to Chile and Japan. If you bring a cell phone in to Chile from another country other than Japan, it is no problem as long as the phone was already unlocked.

I didn't buy the phones from Movistar but someone apparently did. Apple says they are the original carrier. They also say the phones are not stolen but I'd sure like to check that in Chile if someone knows how. The SIM numbers are 355770074167478 and 355770074846089.

They are NEW, never been activated. The first time I realized they were foreign was when I opened up one and the charger plug was definitely Chilean. Only one other place with those kinds of plugs and that is Italy.

I have been working with DoctorSIM, they are a great bunch of folks but thus far have been stymied. I actually contacted several cellular stores in Santiago but none could help me. We also sent the phones to Guadalajara and they couldn't unlock.

If I could just find the right office at Movistar I could send email about this, it would be fantastic.

Paperweights anyone? :cry:

I REALLY appreciate your responses. You are a great bunch of folks!!!

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Would it work if you were to get in contact with Movistar in Mexico? You could tell them that you would like to get a contract with them in Mexico.

Client Service

http://www.movistar.com.mx/atencion-cliente

This seems to be the contact page if you want to write to them:

https://mi.movistar.com.mx/extranet/Aut ... ogin.xhtml

And this page from Movistar Chile offers help through Twitter and a forum:

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Can't you reinstall the operating system without the carrier's software (I don't have much experience with phones but should think that would do it if you can figure out how to boot the new version)?

Mainecoons

Post by Mainecoons » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Frozen, I contacted Movistar Mexico, they said I had to contact Movistar Chile. Dead end. One has to have a Movistar Chile account to access those contacts. I tried to register without it but they wouldn't accept. I have to be an existing customer.

Jehturner, DoctorSIM had me do just that through I Tunes, updating the phone to IOS 10.1 but the lock remained.

Frustrating, eh?

I couldn't talk someone there who is a fluent Spanish speaker into calling Movistar with the IMEI numbers and see if some sort of contact could be generated? I know this is asking a lot of someone but I'm at my wits end with this thing. I'm out $500 and having to find phones for the kids before Christmas.

Not your problem but I'd be forever in someone's debt who might be able to break through the fog here.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Maybe post in a group called Discover Chile on FB. That group has thousands of gringos, I'm sure somebody knows someone who can help you.