SERNAC report on travel companies

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

SERNAC report on travel companies

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Agencies
Like we said on the forum before, AVOID DESPEGAR (48.6% of the reclamos)
Viajes Falabella (15.4%)

Buses
Like I said before, Tur-Bus sucks (38.6%)
Pullman (11.6%)
Most likely to respond to complaints: JAC
Least likely to respond to complaints: Condor Bus-Flota Barrios

Airlines
LAN (75%)
Sky (10.7%)
Most likely to respond to complaints: PAL
Least likely to respond to complaints: Avianca
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

brainbb

Re: SERNAC report on travel companies

Post by brainbb » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Does this take into account the relative sizes of their businesses? E.g. if LAN gets 100,000 customers and Sky 10,000 then if LAN gets 7,500 complaints that's still better than if Sky were to get only 1,000 complaints. Just an example. I'd be interested to know how they calculated this stuff.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes, with LAN it was pointed out that their near monopoly market share is a significant reason for the 75%. But anyone who has been around these parts know the mantra for LAN, "a pleasure in the air, but terrible on the ground".
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

brainbb

Post by brainbb » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Yea totally agree. Their planes are great and service on board is pretty good. But every single contact I've had with LAN phone agents, office agents etc has ranged from mediocre to awful.

john

Post by john » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:31 pm

brainbb wrote:Yea totally agree. Their planes are great and service on board is pretty good. But every single contact I've had with LAN phone agents, office agents etc has ranged from mediocre to awful.
I've never experienced any problems with LAN. I book all my LAN tickets on-line and have never encountered any difficulty with the booking process. However, the only direct contact I have with LAN ground personnel is when I go to the Mall Marina Arauco office (very pleasant staff) to print out my boarding passes, within 48 hours of my scheduled flight departure time from SCL.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

brainbb

Post by brainbb » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Check out flyertalk. LAN customer service (in office and on phone) is notoriously bad. You've probably been lucky.
I am always very reasonable when dealing with them as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:16 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Yes, with LAN it was pointed out that their near monopoly market share is a significant reason for the 75%. But anyone who has been around these parts know the mantra for LAN, "a pleasure in the air, but terrible on the ground".

Strangely, I believe that is true for Lan in Chile more than anything. Lan international has been great in my experience. I have found them to be really good in both Colombia and Uruguay. In fact, after our flight was cancelled in Urugauy due to fog, they put us up in the same nice hotel we were staying at. The next day, they rebooked our connecting flight we had missed, even though we had bought the ticket separately from our flight to Chile (like a two month after we bought the international flight). We went in to the airport that morning ready for a fight, and all we got is "we'll take care of that".

Sky on the other hand, those suckers have destroyed several pieces of luggage, cancelled flights without cause, won't tell passengers anything about late flights, and so on. I have been stuck in some supper flea bag hostels in Concepción, because they could not land in Temuco due to fog. I have been lied to at the desk when they cancel flights because of weather. I once had a friend of a friend that was a pilote for Sky call the operations center for Sky to verify what the desk guy at the airport was telling us about our cancelled flight. Our friend was told there was no cancellations because of weather at all that day. It was the company using a little weather to cancel a half booked flight. Lan flew that day. I ended up driving from Puerto Montt to La Serena so I would not miss my meeting. That was the last time I book an important flight through sky.

If we want to go cheap and in no big hurry we go sky. If we want to get there on time or at all, we fly Lan.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:32 pm

admin wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Yes, with LAN it was pointed out that their near monopoly market share is a significant reason for the 75%. But anyone who has been around these parts know the mantra for LAN, "a pleasure in the air, but terrible on the ground".

Strangely, I believe that is true for Lan in Chile more than anything. Lan international has been great in my experience. I have found them to be really good in both Colombia and Uruguay. In fact, after our flight was cancelled in Urugauy due to fog, they put us up in the same nice hotel we were staying at. The next day, they rebooked our connecting flight we had missed, even though we had bought the ticket separately from our flight to Chile (like a two month after we bought the international flight). We went in to the airport that morning ready for a fight, and all we got is "we'll take care of that".

Sky on the other hand, those suckers have destroyed several pieces of luggage, cancelled flights without cause, won't tell passengers anything about late flights, and so on. I have been stuck in some supper flea bag hostels in Concepción, because they could not land in Temuco due to fog. I have been lied to at the desk when they cancel flights because of weather. I once had a friend of a friend that was a pilote for Sky call the operations center for Sky to verify what the desk guy at the airport was telling us about our cancelled flight. Our friend was told there was no cancellations because of weather at all that day. It was the company using a little weather to cancel a half booked flight. Lan flew that day. I ended up driving from Puerto Montt to La Serena so I would not miss my meeting. That was the last time I book an important flight through sky.

If we want to go cheap and in no big hurry we go sky. If we want to get there on time or at all, we fly Lan.
Do you have status with LAN or OneWorld alliance other airline status? That can be all the difference in the world in an irrops situation.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:34 am

I like lan... i got a refund on a non refundable flight :)

because there was a change in the times from the original booking by 15 minutes, enough for them to be forced to give a refund (guessing sernac made a ruling once upon a time)