Visa and Work question

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
catherinetaylor

Visa and Work question

Post by catherinetaylor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:27 pm

I think I've read every thread with the word "visa" in it, and I'm still not sure what to tell my friend.

He had a subject-to-work-contract visa for 15 months. The job ended the last of September. He just received a job offer.

If his long term goal is permanent residency:

Did his "countdown timer" just reset? If he does another subject to contract visa, does he wait another 2 years before applying for permanent residency?

I told him I thought he could apply for permanent residency after only 1 year with a professional visa. Is that correct?
If so, wouldn't he be better off applying for a professional visa and issuing boletas?
Can he work while the professional visa is "en tramite?"

His "30 days to leave the country" ends next week. Should he buy a bus ticket?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Visa and Work question

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:30 am

think we are missing the key info.

was he really under a professional visa or was he under a work contract with his visa tied to that specific job?

9 times put of 10 when someone is not sure about this we have to see the acteul stamp in the passport because they dont know either.

for the record, professional visa means he can apply for PR after a year and switch jobs as he likes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 am

Question,

are you asking here because the extranjeria website hast screwed up there info?

I went to look for the requirements for PD for subject to contract... On the first page they have lumped it in with the Tripulantes... whe you go through to the forms the form is just for tripulante...

therefore the froms/requirements for PD from a subject to contract are now missing.....

Anyone else see that?

Im no lawyer, but im presuming once you have 2 years of continuous visas for subject to contract in chile you should be able to apply......... you need to submit a cert from your 1st employer saying you were employed from a to b... and from your second employer saying you are employed from b - indefinite, not sure how the break time between the two visas would impact it? this is at a guess, i would contact a lawyer to confirm this.

BUT, the Professional visa is a far better option if the OPs friend has the paperwork to apply for it... (the diplomas etc)

catherinetaylor

Post by catherinetaylor » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:38 am

He was originally under a work contract with his visa tied to that job. Not under a professional visa.

I'm going to tell him to go for the professional visa. It seems like the better deal in the long run.

jcarloschile

Post by jcarloschile » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:15 pm

Before going CHile for a work visa I made my own research about that. You need 2 full years at same employer for apply to permanent resident. If you change company the time will reset. So if you work 1 year and 9 months for an employer and got fired you aren't eligible for permanent visa, you need to apply for permanent 90 days before it ends, so you will need stay at same job all that time.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:20 pm

jcarloschile wrote:Before going CHile for a work visa I made my own research about that. You need 2 full years at same employer for apply to permanent resident. If you change company the time will reset. So if you work 1 year and 9 months for an employer and got fired you aren't eligible for permanent visa, you need to apply for permanent 90 days before it ends, so you will need stay at same job all that time.
Still do not know why you went the contract way when MERCOSUR citizens have an easy way to get a temporary residence visa which is not tied to any job or employer.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat