Tur bus company

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Tur bus company

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Until something goes wrong and then it is your fault even if they are the problem.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Southerner

Post by Southerner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
john wrote:I've used Tur-Bus many times and have never encountered any problems.
Neither have I, but I have only gone south and not north. I understand the service going north is a good deal less good.
I have used Tur-Bus to go to Vallenar and back and have had no problems...
Life in the "true" deep south!
http://jaxchile.tumblr.com/

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Aaaah, Tur Bus. Never had a problem when I used them between Santiago and Copiapo. Then I bought a car and started to see what they get up to from the outside of the bus.
Adelante Tur Bus.JPG
Adelante Tur Bus.JPG (122.88 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
So, you'll be able to see that where the bus is at the moment of the photo is where the broken line begins and therefore overtaking is permitted, HOWEVER the maneuver had well and truly begun beforehand (time enough for us to think HOLY CRAP and get camera out). What you can't see very well is that just under the cars LH mirror is the next road sign indicating no overtaking. i.e. the overtaking opportunity is about 100m long - there is just no safe distance for a bus to be overtaking a long stream of traffic, but that was just a challenge to the machismo of the driver and one that he couldn't resist!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Probably running late for happy hour. With Tur-Bus, it is failure in the quality or state of the driver vs. possible mechanical failure due to cheapskate maintenance. Could go either way depending on the position of the planets :alien:

I dig their Cargo and airport bus service though, so I am not total anti as some seem to think :P

But if someone ripped you off around $20.000 pesos and a half a day of your time, how would you feel? And on top of that, they said it was your fault when it wasn't? And you went through their Byzantine complaint system and just ended up with a Dear John letter after two months?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 pm

One observation to add, The Tur-Bus of ours Valdivia~Santiago made a stop in Vitacura and to my surprise everyone, I mean every one except us plus the nice girl from Valdivia were the only ones left to see our journey complete to the final destination,the grand central bus terminar. Albeit, the 1st class passengers only in upper deck at the full 180 degrees inclinable camas section, the regular seated 1st floor passengers they all unloaded in the final main terminal.

There when preparing to gather our belonging before exiting the bus, saw the crew coming up and started folding the once or who knows how many time before used but the wooled blankets were folded as if fresh set and wrapped in plastic! So the next time, I should refrain using those "fresh looking blankets" !.. Just a recollection or remembrance of thought..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:29 pm

If you live on the eastern side of Santiago it makes more sense to get off at the Vitacura stop than to go to the bus terminal in town and back out again. It depends on where you live or are staying. There are always taxis waiting for the buses to stop there.

They do the same thing with blankets on airplanes. They get cleaned every so often but not after every flight, even long haul ones. I take my own wrap.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 am

Tur bus back in the news and there was even a topic from 2014 about it. Reports saying at least 15 killed up north early this morning . While the percentage of accidents maybe small compared to overall bus movements in Chile I still prefer flying in Chile than long distance bus services. Tur bus , surprised they haven't rebranded themselves yet, lots of peoples immediate association with that name is fatal accidents.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... gasta.html
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

mem

Post by mem » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 am

41southchile wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 am
Tur bus back in the news and there was even a topic from 2014 about it. Reports saying at least 15 killed up north early this morning . While the percentage of accidents maybe small compared to overall bus movements in Chile I still prefer flying in Chile than long distance bus services. Tur bus , surprised they haven't rebranded themselves yet, lots of peoples immediate association with that name is fatal accidents.
Seems to have happened on a dangerous shortcut route that has extreme slopes and curves. Comments are saying the bus should take longer and use 5. Others are saying to outlaw double decker buses.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 am

mem wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 am
41southchile wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 am
Seems to have happened on a dangerous shortcut route that has extreme slopes and curves. Comments are saying the bus should take longer and use 5. Others are saying to outlaw double decker buses.
Yes sounds like a dangerous road what they are saying on the radio, 20 dead now so far.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:12 pm

24 dead now
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:15 pm

just to cross link to our other conversation about the danger of buses in chile, and my friend that had his arm cut off while watching his wife be beheaded next to him:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17116#p191197
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:43 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:15 pm
just to cross link to our other conversation about the danger of buses in chile, and my friend that had his arm cut off while watching his wife be beheaded next to him:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17116#p191197
Well shoot.

My family has done round trips on bus from pucon to santiago a couple times (we live in caburgua). Once on Pullman semi cama that was cramped and unenjoyable. Then twice on turbus salon cama which was more comfortable. Somehow I had missed this thread and other posts about the bus accidents.

Now I am sufficiently terrified thinking my wife may be beheaded or my 6 year olds maimed. Not being sarcastic...we just bought 4 round trip turbus salon cama tickets yesterday! : (

Turbus has always been pricey for salmon cama and I agree they probably have more routes and more trips than other companies so they are bound to have more accidents...but we are still seriously considering exchanging the tickets for temuco as the destination and flying on sky or latam to santiago later this month (have some embassy bizness to conduct)

I was concerned enough with ruta 5 interdictions by protesters while on the bus, but now we will likely just bite the bullet and fly. I'm not one to take chances with family with stuff like this, now that I know

The bullet being just the inconvenience of the additional points of transitions versus just boarding a bus, going to sleep, and waking up at our destination. For us its a vipuray bus into town. Boarding a second bus to temuco. Finding a taxi to the temuco airport. Standing in line at the airport to check 1 bag that our family of 4 shares and getting to the gate in time to board. I have abandoned domestic flights because even though I arrived 2 hours before the flight left...the sky bag check line was 2 hours alone. I mean crazy crazy long lines that wrapped around all over.

The one thing that would make flying a lot less painful was if I could take our vehicle to the airport in temuco and park it somewhere safe for a week for a reasonable fee.

I'd drive to santiago and back but I really dont like the drive...9-10 hours with little kids during the day is no fun. If during the night and even pounding red bulls and coffee doesnt quite do it for me anymore and I start getting drowsy and it's not really safe...sure the kids are asleep but as I get older I trust myself less and less. In the US you can buy vivarin or nodoz at any gas station but I've not seen that anywhere here last time I drove from Santiago to Caburgua.

At any rate I really appreciate the feedback and warnings about the buses.