Correos Chile is horrible!

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
mlightheart

Re: Correos Chile is horrible!

Post by mlightheart » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Space Cat, can you give some more detail on your iHerb orders as they pertain to vitamins. That is, when customs wants more information from you, what are all the hoops that you have to jump through? What do you mean by recipes for vitamins? Prescriptions?
Space Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:32 pm
I have sent over 50 small packages over the years from Canada to Chile small package airmail.....none have not arrived....sometimes several months later but they arrive.

I would never buy from Amazon or such.....those seem to go sideways
I've been ordering a lot from Amazon for the last 4 years and had absolutely zero issues. Everything arrives in a week from the US while orders from something like Falabella in Santiago can take 10 days to get to the south. The sales taxes and customs' fees are paid during the check out. The packages are delivered to my door either by DHL or by some smaller Chilean courier services.

Correos became horribly slow two years ago but has recovered since then, we're getting everything in 2-8 weeks again. The only "problem" so far is iHerb: the customs got an eye for it and started requesting recipes for vitamins and certification for cosmetics. You have to issue a 11k CLP certificate to get them through which sometimes is more than the order's value. But that is not Correos' fault.

AliExpress works like a clock, especially if you pay for a bit more expensive shipping that includes tracking.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 pm

mlightheart, MIA for so long i was starting to wonder if you were o.k. :D

good to see you around.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:23 pm

Yep, I am still here. Doing ok. :D
admin wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 pm
mlightheart, MIA for so long i was starting to wonder if you were o.k. :D

good to see you around.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 pm

mlightheart wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 pm
Space Cat, can you give some more detail on your iHerb orders as they pertain to vitamins. That is, when customs wants more information from you, what are all the hoops that you have to jump through? What do you mean by recipes for vitamins? Prescriptions?
Yes, prescriptions, "recipe" was a false cognate from Russian. 😀

If the customs find them, you'll get a paper via Correos with a request of a prescription and a certification that costs 9k CLP. I don't know if you need to certify every delivery of the same item or only the first one.

See the details here: http://www.ispch.cl/anamed/importacion

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Lol, just saw the original post, had a bit of a chuckle. I don't get concerned about packages until the third month.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:03 am

I had a package stopped a few months ago that contained Vape liquid. This included Nicotine which is classified as a medicament by the local health authorities, and requires the aforementioned certificate. After battling with Correos and the ISP's crappy websites, and a huge and complicated declaration, I gave up. After a couple of months the package was returned to China. Now I buy exactly the same product locally at three times the price. Correos can only do random checks as I imported this stuff for a couple of years without problems.

As for recent purchases, Amazon for quick, China for cheap.
'
CHEAP QUICK GOOD.jpg
Après moi, le déluge

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:09 am

So you have to go to your dr. and get a prescription for the vitamins. So they have to write down on the prescription what the vitamins are and the dosage? I am curious, how much does your Dr. charge you for this service? I guess after the first time, they know what you needed.

Space Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 pm
mlightheart wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 pm
Yes, prescriptions, "recipe" was a false cognate from Russian. 😀

If the customs find them, you'll get a paper via Correos with a request of a prescription and a certification that costs 9k CLP. I don't know if you need to certify every delivery of the same item or only the first one.

See the details here: http://www.ispch.cl/anamed/importacion

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 am

mlightheart wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:09 am
So you have to go to your dr. and get a prescription for the vitamins. So they have to write down on the prescription what the vitamins are and the dosage? I am curious, how much does your Dr. charge you for this service? I guess after the first time, they know what you needed.
Sorry, I don't know the exact process — we also gave up and just buy already imported ones for 2-3x price on MercadoLibre.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:28 pm

Ok. The process is a pain now. A few years back you could go to Seremi and get a personal use certificate for stuff like vitamins and minerals. Send the certificate back to Correos and get your stuff. I had to do that at least two or three times. Then one time I went to the local Seremi office and they directed me to go online to their website. I talked to a friend of mine yesterday and was told that now you need a prescription with the amounts, etc. :?
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 am
mlightheart wrote:
Sorry, I don't know the exact process — we also gave up and just buy already imported ones for 2-3x price on MercadoLibre.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:02 pm

to mem OK tell me, what are the unwritten rules???? It all seems very changeable. I used to receive packages every three of four weeks via Fedex with a declared value of less than $30. Mostly books. These packages would clear the aduana no problem. This year, EVERY package, regardless of value, has been hung up for days or weeks and there have been large fees, often more than the value of the shipment. I recently had to pay $20. for a Fedex envelope filled with documents. Of course, I have all sorts of wild imaginings: this is a new unpublicized tax. Fedex, locally, is getting some kind of kickback. Who knows? I'm going to give DHL a try... but???? BTW, I have told all my friends world wide - please do not send me gifts. It's just not worth the trouble. Any ideas any one? Thanks.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 pm

mlightheart wrote:
I bought some vitamins via eshopex back in 2014 and here's what they required:
- Factura u orden de compra de la tienda, donde aparezca el desglose de valores del producto.

- Poder simple (Ejemplo adjunto debe traer firmado original. ISP no acepta copias o escaneos).

- Fotocopia cedula de identidad, por ambos lados.

- Foto del producto o link donde aparezca

- Receta médica original (No se puede tramitar en el ISP con una fotocopia de la receta o una imagen escaneada, el documento debe ser original) En la receta debe indicar el nombre y Rut del paciente, datos del médico tratante, diagnostico y duración del tratamiento. Además, el nombre del medicamento y las cantidades deben ser las mismas de la factura u orden de compra.

Doctor's prescription will set you back anywhere from 5 to 35 mil. Shop around.