Correos Chile is horrible!

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Correos Chile is horrible!

Post by admin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm

woooo, you sent something to chile using correos de chile, and it did not arrive?

don't believe it. totaly unheard of. never seen anyone have a problem. they are best dam shipping company in the world. they make amazon, dhl, ups, fedex, and the u.s. postal service all look like a bunch of ametures.

:roll:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm

How did you get a gift sent to you in the future? Pre-order?

2.5 months about normal for Chile......
It's all about the wine.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:32 pm

I have sent over 50 small packages over the years from Canada to Chile small package airmail.....none have not arrived....sometimes several months later but they arrive.

I would never buy from Amazon or such.....those seem to go sideways
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:39 pm

i was curious how long people have been complaining on forum about them. looks like first problem was back in dec, 2007:

viewtopic.php?t=1206

that was only slightly after the forum went live i believe. at least they are consistently, bad.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:04 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:32 pm
I have sent over 50 small packages over the years from Canada to Chile small package airmail.....none have not arrived....sometimes several months later but they arrive.

I've always had good luck with Amazon though it seems to take a long time. Ah well, standard results = there are no standard results.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:32 pm

I've been ordering a lot from Amazon for the last 4 years and had absolutely zero issues. Everything arrives in a week from the US while orders from something like Falabella in Santiago can take 10 days to get to the south. The sales taxes and customs' fees are paid during the check out. The packages are delivered to my door either by DHL or by some smaller Chilean courier services.

Correos became horribly slow two years ago but has recovered since then, we're getting everything in 2-8 weeks again. The only "problem" so far is iHerb: the customs got an eye for it and started requesting recipes for vitamins and certification for cosmetics. You have to issue a 11k CLP certificate to get them through which sometimes is more than the order's value. But that is not Correos' fault.

AliExpress works like a clock, especially if you pay for a bit more expensive shipping that includes tracking.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Amazon has greatly improved over the last year or two - I get everything within 10 to 15 days. Unless it's an Amazon Marketplace seller, in which case it takes just as long as regular mail sent by the national carrier of the country where that seller is located.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:20 pm

I've noticed a big slowdown with Ali over the last three or four months - I'm still waiting for things I bought on Dec 15th and Jan 15th. They've been sitting at the Santiago airport. I've got Ali tracking numbers, but they don't show up on the correoschile website.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:48 pm

I don't order things from abroad so no personal experience. I do post things TO other countries and it has always worked perfectly with Correos. But ordering things from abroad can involve customs and you have to know how things work, when you are going to have to pay duty and how much, what isn't allowed in etc.

I do believe that an efficient and smooth running postal system and customs would go a long way to improve all sorts of other things and be beneficial to the country. But until that day it is better to learn how things work and why they went wrong for you. It seems there was something about your package that sent it off to customs - contents and/or value probably.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm

GAminer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am
I have never had a problem with correos chile, but I also do not use them for international shipping. Why did you not use FedEx?
If you use FedEx make sure they can't overcharge your credit card. Or they'll max it out, and you'll have a hell of a time trying to get it fixed. My friend was helping me, and opened an account with his credit card. And they charged over $5000 USD for what should have been about $240. It was a standard FedEx box, and he had it weighed and priced at a FedEx office in the US. And they still refused to believe they overcharged his card.

I've had good luck with USPS/Correos for things that don't require a broker.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

mem

Post by mem » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm
GAminer wrote:
I have never had a problem with correos chile, but I also do not use them for international shipping. Why did you not use FedEx?
If you use FedEx make sure they can't overcharge your credit card. Or they'll max it out, and you'll have a hell of a time trying to get it fixed. My friend was helping me, and opened an account with his credit card. And they charged over $5000 USD for what should have been about $240. It was a standard FedEx box, and he had it weighed and priced at a FedEx office in the US. And they still refused to believe they overcharged his card.

Oh yeah Fedex is ridiculous. I priced a box there and it was going to be over $2000 USD. I then took it to USPS and it was $85

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:11 pm

mem wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm
GAminer wrote:

Oh yeah Fedex is ridiculous. I priced a box there and it was going to be over $2000 USD. I then took it to USPS and it was $85
The real price wasn't bad, in my case. It's just that they overbilled $5000, and then refused to fix it.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin