Chile customer service really is a torture chamber

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
Donnybrook

Re: CHILE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS REALLY A TORTURE CHAMBER

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm

If it has anything but shellfish in it (i.e. chicken, sausage) it is unlikely to be the choice on Good Friday. The Jumbo customer service in the one I use in Santiago wipes the floor with Lider but things vary. I am not sure I would call this poor customer service as he tried calling the direct line and I don't imagine many people phone wanting to know what a future menu will be.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 pm

I wouldn't be too happy to unconditionally "guarantee" a specific menu item on a specific day like that either:

Paella day arrives, except for one reason or another, it isn't available (drunken cook, poisoned shellfish, whatever).
Too bad - except for this frustrated consumer making a scene:

"...But you promised me!....I'm going to SERNAC about this!...Why is the service so bad in Chile ?....etc"

Retail doesnt work like that. Anywhere.
Après moi, le déluge

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 pm
I wouldn't be too happy to unconditionally "guarantee" a specific menu item on a specific day like that either:

Paella day arrives, except for one reason or another, it isn't available (drunken cook, poisoned shellfish, whatever).
Too bad - except for this frustrated consumer making a scene:

"...But you promised me!....I'm going to SERNAC about this!...Why is the service so bad in Chile ?....etc"

Retail doesnt work like that. Anywhere.
Not sure where you are from Fraggle but in Canada, if you want to know if a restaurant is serving a meal, you can get a straight answer, in fact, you can actually call the restaurant directly. And most restaurants there have an easily accessible menu online. And if you could not see that my post was partially tongue in cheek and partially in frustration, sorry... but it was lost on you.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:25 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm
If it has anything but shellfish in it (i.e. chicken, sausage) it is unlikely to be the choice on Good Friday. The Jumbo customer service in the one I use in Santiago wipes the floor with Lider but things vary. I am not sure I would call this poor customer service as he tried calling the direct line and I don't imagine many people phone wanting to know what a future menu will be.
The bad customer service part, Donnybrook, was the inability to call the restaurant directly and the fact that they did not have an online menu. The system was user unfriendly. The actual people who I spoke to were both quite courteous and tried to help but were without the tools or access needed to answer the question.

I love Chile, or I would not have stayed so many years, but I do not suffer fools gladly and many service businesses are run by foolish people with no concern for the customer's satisfaction or quality control.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:09 pm
Paella a la Valenciana. I cook that famed cazuela once in a while. Every time I cook the Paella, tend to put too much ingredients in it and the result is the abundant left over from it. 1st get a large enough deep frying pan and start roasting the Basmati rice then add the prepared soup.
Bring it to boil then reduce heat to medium, when seeing the rice absorbing the juice and increasing in size, then add the chorizo,shirimp,chicken bits already pan fried into the simmering rice along the Saffron. Then finally a few minutes before extinguishing the heat off, then add the mussels and any other bits of mariscos such as the octopus, bits of cods etc. Cover with the pan's lid for about 5 minutes then Voila! Add enough Italian parsley too.
great recipe HybridAmbassador, and I could do that but I would hear the mussels screaming. The feria sells them live.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 pm
Not sure where you are from Fraggle but in Canada, if you want to know if a restaurant is serving a meal, you can get a straight answer,
The Wizard of Oz quotation could go here....

Perhaps you haven't witnessed the sort of scandal show some people will put on in order to gain some form of compensation, but I have been involved in several. Any excuse will do.

Hence the caginess. There is always a reason......
Après moi, le déluge

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 pm
Having been on the receiving end of similar situations and worse, when purely verbal commitments are made then ignored or forgotten by the consumer, the only guarantee that works here is cash in advance, ie a formal reservation. Perhaps you haven't witnessed the sort of scandal show some people will put on in order to gain some form of compensation, but I have been involved in several. Any excuse will do.

Hence the caginess. There is always a reason behind the apparent irrationality......
The option of a formal reservation was much too logical for this company. And I would have gladly made a formal reservation. I am not sure how scandal and compensation figured in my post... your life must be more interesting than mine. :)

fraggle092

Re: Chile customer service really is a torture chamber

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:52 pm

No, I just deal with the public all day every day. I edited the post you quoted to clarify btw, but its basically the same.
Après moi, le déluge

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 pm
The option of a formal reservation was much too logical for this company. And I would have gladly made a formal reservation. I am not sure how scandal and compensation figured in my post... your life must me more interesting than mine. :)
Is this the restaurant in Jumbo? Rincon Jumbo, or whatever it is called? Basically it is a cafeteria and I doubt you can make a reservation like a restaurant. Or maybe the one in Talca is fancier with table service. Malls close on Good Friday but it may be free standing, so maybe it will be open. But they would be unlikely to have anything containing meat (chicken, sausage) as a main item on Good Friday when so many don't eat meat that day. They could, of course, make one with just shellfish.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 am

hlf2888 wrote:
The option of a formal reservation was much too logical for this company. And I would have gladly made a formal reservation. I am not sure how scandal and compensation figured in my post... your life must me more interesting than mine. :)
Is this the restaurant in Jumbo? Rincon Jumbo, or whatever it is called? Basically it is a cafeteria and I doubt you can make a reservation like a restaurant. Or maybe the one in Talca is fancier with table service. Malls close on Good Friday but it may be free standing, so maybe it will be open. But they would be unlikely to have anything containing meat (chicken, sausage) as a main item on Good Friday when so many don't eat meat that day. They could, of course, make one with just shellfish.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 am
hlf2888 wrote:
thanks Donnybrook, yes the one in Talca. Yes, basically a cafeteria with a grill but the best paella I have had in South America. You do have a point about Good Friday. I have a friend who lives there and will stop in and ask. Will keep you posted.