Can you afford to live in Chile????

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Space Cat

Re: Can you afford to live in Chile????

Post by Space Cat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:18 pm

72Shilden wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:39 pm
Would one European salary be enough for two people to live in Chile?

If we come there with my girlfriend, we'll be able to work from afar and earn the equivalent of 1500€ a month, or something like 1.1 million pesos a month. Would it be realistic for both of us to live on that income, including renting a flat in Valparaiso, where my girlfriend's family lives She's looking for info right now, but she has spent the last 6 years in Russia, and her family owns their house, so they can't really tell what the price of living in the city is.
Living for 1,500€ a month (it's $1,700 right now) is definitely possible for two people without kids: we lived on $1,300–1,400/mo for a while and our current monthly expenses are still a hundred or two below $2,000 (this includes private medical insurance and going out for a lunch one-two times a week).

But you will not be able to save much or purchase expensive things easily (electronic devices, cars, etc.). Also, for the first year additional $3-5k is a must just because you'll have to buy so many things for your new place.

at46

Re: Can you afford to live in Chile????

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:39 pm

72Shilden wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:39 pm
Would one European salary be enough for two people to live in Chile?

If we come there with my girlfriend, we'll be able to work from afar and earn the equivalent of 1500€ a month, or something like 1.1 million pesos a month. Would it be realistic for both of us to live on that income, including renting a flat in Valparaiso, where my girlfriend's family lives She's looking for info right now, but she has spent the last 6 years in Russia, and her family owns their house, so they can't really tell what the price of living in the city is.
Here's a good site to compare living costs in various cities. I checked Valpo prices and they seem to be pretty accurate, although I've never been able to find those Levi's jeans for 27 mil here, it's always more like 50 mil. But I wouldn't say it's impossible, more a matter of knowing the right stores and the right times to shop. Also, rent in Valpo seems a bit on the low side, maybe 10-15% below the actual prices of apartments you might like. But those were the only two discrepancies I noticed.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... Valparaiso
In general, 1.1 million is pretty tight for two, and, like Cat said, you'd need a few thousand in savings to get your apartment furnishings etc. when you first get here, unless her family can share stuff with you. There are a few local Feria de las Pulgas groups on FB where you can look for things like furniture, fridge, washing machine, etc. Also, servicios technicos places sell refurbished fridges and stoves at half the new cost. But since you're both young, energetic and outgoing, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to double your income here within, say, 6-12 months. Keep an eye out on indeed.com for jobs. Also, evaluserve in Vina sometimes hires English/French speakers.