chile's future in the TPP...?

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
john

Re: chile's future in the TPP...?

Post by john » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm not opposed to the negotiation of "fair trade" agreements; however, I am a strong opponent of TPP. My major problems with it were the spreading of US patent protection rights to the other signatory nations and the insidious 'Dispute Settlement' chapter which would have threatened the sovereignty of signatory nations. But, let's be clear, the cancellation of the TPP makes China the big winner.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:01 pm

john wrote:I'm not opposed to the negotiation of "fair trade" agreements; however, I am a strong opponent of TPP. My major problems with it were the spreading of US patent protection rights to the other signatory nations and the insidious 'Dispute Settlement' chapter which would have threatened the sovereignty of signatory nations. But, let's be clear, the cancellation of the TPP makes China the big winner.
Yep, Trump just abandoned the TPP but wasn't even started so no one could gotten out of any still formed trade partnership?
AU's Turnbull wants to bring the PRC into forming a new TPP agenda, what a fiasco!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Chile announced they are pulling out of the tpp, and is set to negotiate new direct trade deals with korea and china.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 pm

NZ too is keen to carry on without the US, all other TPP members are meeting here in Chile in a few months. Japan originally said it was pointless without the US but now have decided it's worth pursuing without them. China, Russians, Japan etc all keen to fill the vacuum created by US in political and trade matters now, make America great again? More like make America irrelevant on the world stage.

Andres

TPP resurrection

Post by Andres » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 am

Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm

American Companies Still Make Aluminum. In Iceland.
JULY 1, 2017

President Trump blames China for flooding global markets with subsidized aluminum.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/01/us/p ... eland.html

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm

American Companies Still Make Aluminum. In Iceland.
JULY 1, 2017

President Trump blames China for flooding global markets with subsidized aluminum.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/01/us/p ... eland.html
Can't repatriate those jobs, Trump wants Norwegians not Icelanders...........I quess they could be considered second rate Norwegians.........
It's all about the wine.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:38 pm

So the new TPP 11 to sign agreement in Chile come March? Now Trump saying he doesn't mind re-joining the previous TPP 12. But he wants better deal for his America 1st. Also indicates US staying in world climate accord, but of course if America 1st..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:38 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:38 pm
So the new TPP 11 to sign agreement in Chile come March? Now Trump saying he doesn't mind re-joining the previous TPP 12. But he wants better deal for his America 1st. Also indicates US staying in world climate accord, but of course if America 1st..
If he wants America 1st for NAFTA, Canada is walking........
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 pm

It is not clear if that is going to be signed by the Bachelet administration or Pinera. Pinera was totally opposed to the TPP when it started, mostly because it was either redundant (Chile has bi-lateral trade agreements pretty much with all those countries already).

Meanwhile, Bachelet and company like's to sign unpopular agreements at the 11th hour of her administration (e.g. FATCA, SQM settlement, etc).

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:36 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 pm
Meanwhile, Bachelet and company like's to sign unpopular agreements at the 11th hour of her administration (e.g. FATCA...
You mean the tax information exchange agreement posing as a double taxation treaty. FATCA, there was no choice in the matter.

Chile-USA tax treaty approved by Chile legislature but never approved by the US Senate:
...7 years later, the Tax Treaty has not yet entered into force – while it was approved by the Chilean Congress in 2015, it has not been ratified by the U.S. Senate. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee approved the Tax Treaty in both 2011 and 2015, but Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) has placed a hold on the Tax Treaty, along with tax treaties with 7 other countries, due to concerns that the exchange of information provisions infringe on personal privacy, blocking their consideration by the full chamber. To date, no compromise has been reached, and the future of the Tax Treaty remains uncertain, particularly under the current administration.
https://www.latlegal.com/2017/04/the-fu ... uncertain/

Thank you Rand Paul!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Well the TPP light is being signed today in chile, minus the u.s. and its bullshit intelectual property clauses.

http://www.latercera.com/negocios/notic ... nos/91309/

Let's see what other gifts trump's war on trade yields.