chile's future in the TPP...?

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
greg~judy

chile's future in the TPP...?

Post by greg~judy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

~
ssshhh - you shouldn't tell anyone about this...!
but ok, it's too late - the tpp word is now out nonetheless...
although this is written from a decidedly labor~sympathetic p.o.v.
a wider audience may also wish to be aware of certain (holistic) implications...?
:|

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... &aid=31768
During the week of July 1st - 7th an international cabal of corporate lobbyists will be meeting behind closed doors in San Diego. Their aim is moving the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) towards completion. For over two years TPP negotiations have been in process, yet the proposals and agreements made so far have been carefully kept from public view, until recently.

A leaked TPP document, published at Public Citizen, has revealed what the 600 corporate advisers involved in the negotiations, including representatives from Verizon, FedEx, and Walmart, have been up to. Considering the contents of this document, it is no wonder why the public and even elected representatives have been kept in the dark.

Publicly the TPP is being described as a Free Trade Act (FTA). This understates its scope. While the FTAs already in existence have raked in giant profits for the corporate elite, for workers internationally they have resulted in lay offs and a race to the bottom in terms of living conditions and rights. The big business tops have been working hard to enhance the power of their moneymaking weapons of mass destruction. If NAFTA was a hand grenade, the TPP is a bunker buster.

What is perhaps most astonishing about the TPP is its architects’ disregard for the consequences of its destructive potential. Their greed has blinded them to the political instability and popular revolt the consequences of the TPP will create. The corporate elite imagines their rule to be absolute and eternal. Sheltered by these illusions and goaded on by the need to increase their riches regardless of social costs, they are creating a bomb that could blow them up as well.

Currently the countries in on the TPP are the United States, Australia, Brunei, Chile, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam. These countries alone are a combined market of 658 million people worth $20.5 trillion annually. (1) Canada, Japan, and Mexico are also expected to get on board.

<snip>
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

greg~judy

Re: chile's future in the TPP...?

Post by greg~judy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:32 pm

~
hmmm, ok - no one interested, no one worried...?

*TPP aims to rewrite global IP enforcement rules
*TPP tramples on individual freedom and national sovereignty
*TPP frees corporate investors to do what they please without regulatory oversight
*TPP prioritizes corporate interests at the expense of public ones
*TPP must be kept secret because otherwise it won’t be able to (get it) past the public and Congress
*etc...etc...etc...

we still wonder when TPP will reach any chilean press (if ever)...
we still wonder how chilean corporate clones will mesh seamlessly with their global brethren
we still wonder how the chilean peons will be trodden down like their global brethren

yep, TPP sounds like same-same, but different...?
the elite psychopaths' status quo maintaining~strengthening...
nothing to see here - move along, move along...
go back to sleep gentle lambs...
your cruise up de (river) nile will continue after your nap
http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... e31773.htm
--- Surangama Sutra

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 am

That's a tough piece of work.....IP is the modern scourge.......in that what is called IP now used to be called common sense.....

Maybe it's hardly surprising that there is a lack of common sense when it's become the property of the elite and can only be accessed by the unwashed masses if they pay a licensing fee.

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 am

~
say yo... shhhhh?
we're beginning to wonder if any allchileans really know/care wtf is coming down <in secret>...
is anyone else wondering about TPP these daze...
well sheee-it - maybe you'd better...?
<just saying, fwiw...>
The United States and ten governments from around the Pacific are meeting yet again to hash out the secret Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement (TPP) on May 15-24 in Lima, Peru.

The TPP is one of the worst global threats to the Internet since ACTA. Since the negotiations have been secretive from the beginning, we mainly know what’s in the current version of this trade agreement because of a leaked draft [PDF] from February 2011. Based upon that text, some other leaked notes, and the undemocratic nature of the entire process, we have every reason to be alarmed about the copyright enforcement provisions contained in this multinational trade deal.

The TPP is likely to export some of the worst features of U.S. copyright law to Pacific Rim countries: a broad ban on breaking digital locks on devices and creative works (even for legal purposes), a minimum copyright term of the lifetime of the creator plus seventy years (the current international norm is the lifetime plus fifty years), privatization of enforcement for copyright infringement, ruinous statutory damages with no proof of actual harm, and government seizures of computers and equipment involved in alleged infringement. Moreover, the TPP is worst than U.S. copyright rules: it does not export the many balances and exceptions that favor the public interest and act as safety valves in limiting rightsholders’ protection. Adding insult to injury, the TPP’s temporary copies provision will likely create chilling effects on how people and companies behave online and their basic ability to use and create on the Web.

The stated goal of the TPP is to unite the Pacific Rim countries by harmonizing tariffs and trade rules between them, but in reality, it’s much more than that. The “intellectual property” chapter in this massive trade agreement will likely force changes to copyright and patent rules in each of the signatory countries. Accepting these new rules will not just re-write national laws, but will also restrict the possibility for countries to introduce more balanced copyright laws in the future. This strategy may end up harming other countries’ more proportionate laws such as Chile, where a judicial order is required for ISPs to be held liable for copyright infringement and take down content. Such systems better protect users and intermediaries from disproportionate or censorship-driven takedowns. If the final TPP text forces countries to adopt a privatize notice and takedown regime, this could imply the end of the Chilean system. It would also undermine canada’s notice-notice regime.

The content industry can and will continue to buy and lie to get their way to get laws that protects their interests, and what they want more than anything is for us to remain passively ignorant. They did it with SOPA, ACTA, and now it’s TPP [ESP]. It’s going to be a challenge to defeat these policies, but we can do it. The TPP is slated for conclusion this October, but our goal is to get the worst of these copyright provisions out of it. The way to fight back is to show that we will not put up with this: to demand an open transparent process that allows everyone, including experts from civil society members, to analyze, question, and probe any initiatives to regulate the Internet. The secrecy must be stopped once and for all.

Below is our infographic highlighting the most problematic aspects of TPP. Please spread the word about how this agreement will impact you and your country. Right-click and save the image for the PNG file, or you can download the PDF version below. Remix it, build upon it, and get the word out. Let’s protect and defend the Internet from this secret trade deal.
pssst.. that nice infographic is right here... https://www.eff.org/sites/default/files ... /tpp_1.png
:idea:
--- Surangama Sutra

GJJIM

Post by GJJIM » Thu May 02, 2013 10:30 am

And I was wondering what happened to that little rascal Jeffy Immelt... :alien:

I own a small business and the real purpose of these "trade" deals is plainly obvious. The Big Fish want no trouble from upstart guppies, and by enlisting government to enforce their rules they achieve a two-fer. For the trivial cost of some lobbying and campaign contributions, these large corporations can 1) reserve their favored spots at the table, and 2) stifle competition from thousands of companies less connected. Why it's enough to put a big grin on Warren Buffett's crusty maw.

Andres

Pinera in DC

Post by Andres » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-0 ... -push.html

U.S. President Barack Obama and Chilean President Sebastian Pinera renewed their push for a trans-Pacific trade agreement at a White House meeting that also touched on education and renewable energy.

Chile is “fully committed” to negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership and creating the world’s largest free-trade zone, Pinera said.
. . .
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:12 pm

In secrecy the TPP pact.? Yes indeed, Japan has learnt the hard way.! When Japan decided to possibly join the already on the agenda for more than 2 years, the TPP circus members said to Japan, if you don't intend to possible join the circus, then you can not find out the _Goodies of TPP_.! So Japan has been accepted from its member countries that allows Japan to enter the TPP rule making _junta and its next meeting is in June~July? Japan has already publicly said to its citizenry of Japan that, if, the agenda not to be in the interest of Japan, then will regretfully jump ship. But i am wondering if Uncle Sam will let Japan renegue in its commitment of leaving the TPP.? Australia's "Fonterra" want to sell its dairy products abroad, then the Canadians and also Japan want to join force and fight the all mighty _Fonterra-co op_ off their turf.? Just an example of how complex is the TPP. Every country wants the best for itself and protect its core Agro,Tech,Health,Financial etc and etc.. So we will see how all these countries would agree on all these disputing issues.!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Andres

Post by Andres » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:Australia's "Fonterra"
Kiwi, not Aussie.
http://www.fonterra.com/global/en/About/Our+History
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Andres wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:Australia's "Fonterra"
Kiwi, not Aussie.
http://www.fonterra.com/global/en/About/Our+History
Thank you Andres-San, New Zealand's Fonterra co-op indeed.! So I'am wondering. How in the..Such a small island nation as NZ produce so much dairy products.? Like 95% of its dairy products are exported around the world I believe, If it were produced in Australia, more understandable due to its sheer size in comaprison to NZ.? Is the grass- pastry greener in NZ vs Aussie.?
Much grass abundant due to its volcanic soil.? NZ is green all over the island plus it snows too and have thermal oasis all over the country as well as in Japan.
I have friends took pension life destination living and enjoying being in NZ, they love it there,they all rave about.
I have been in Australia in numerous occasions and love the laid back style and the Aussie hospitality albeit a bit loud when too many Fosters beers!,Nice people the Aussies but never been to NZ yet. I shall pack my bags and visit my friends there and discover the nicety of NZ soon enough perhaps.?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Well, the faint hope of completing the Trans Pacific Treaty has vanished all together. Chile,Japan,Australia,NZ,and the rest
kiss the free trade between the 12 countries goodby. Trump says, the deal is bad for America and he can not make America great again if he goes for it. He says he will demand all done in secrecy accord to benefit America more or else.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:21 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Trump says, the deal is bad for America and he can not make America great again if he goes for it. He says he will demand all done in secrecy accord to benefit America more or else.
Could he cancel international trade agreements by himself?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:29 pm

not sure where bloomberg invented that, but Pinera himself and his U.S. trained economists openly said they seen no reason for Chile to join the TPP because Chile already had better unilateral agreements with all the countries involved. As I recall, just about that time, Pinera was also putting the screws to the U.S. congress to pass the Chile-U.S. free trade agreements (including one country tax residency) or they would go sign agreements directly with the parties. The U.S., under sec. state Hillary, ignored Chile.

The TPP was a hillary / bachelet lesbian political love affair along with FACTA, which was just one of a bunch of agreements that were snuck in the 11th hour of the first Bachelet administration just leaving office (i.p. enforcement subverting the Chilean courts included).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.