Down goes the dollar

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.

Where do you see the dollar / peso on Jan 1st 2010 (select 3, will run 90 days):

Poll ended at Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:58 pm

550 or higher
11%
5%
9%
20%
16%
9%
Below 499
30%

Total votes: 44

zaebis

Re: Down goes the dollar

Post by zaebis » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Yaaaaa QE 3 to infinity has finally been announced today.... Everything will be fixed now in the US ! Time to head back !!!
Arica siempre Arica...

California South

Post by California South » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Yaaaaa QE 3 to infinity has finally been announced today.... Everything will be fixed now in the US ! Time to head back !!!
LOL! "We all win" !!
With QE3, We All Win -- Poor and Rich Alike
...This is great news for the labor market and the economy, and the markets are reacting as such: As of 1:30 PM, the S&P 500 is up 1.3 percent on the announcement.
Courtesy of one of the Bloomberg tools http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-1 ... alike.html
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:01 pm

California South wrote:
With QE3, We All Win -- Poor and Rich Alike
...This is great news for the labor market and the economy, and the markets are reacting as such: As of 1:30 PM, the S&P 500 is up 1.3 percent on the announcement.
Ah, so that is why gold, silver and some non-US currencies spiked up?
Another perspective: Perhaps, rather than "the S&P 500 is up 1.3 percent on the announcement", it is really that the USD (in which the S&P 500 is denominate) is really DOWN by 1.3% and the S&P 500 is worth the same before and after the announcement.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 pm

YAWN...
:)
Screen shot 2012-09-13 at 3.04.28 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2012-09-13 at 3.04.28 PM.jpg (52.59 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

GJJIM

Post by GJJIM » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Like Tricky Dick said long ago, "We are all Keynsians now". Last year "unexpectedly" was the economic meme. Looks like "unlimited" will capture the prize in 2012. Any guesses for 2013? :alien:

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:57 pm

I just realized that no one on this forum has been dumb enough to ask whether the USD will do better if Romney or Obama win the US presidential election . . . as we all pretty much know it won't matter . . . they both will be a disaster for the US.
US govt RIP (but unfortunately dying governments/empires usually prefer war to mask the obvious that they are falling apart).
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

California South

Post by California South » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 pm

I just realized that no one on this forum has been dumb enough to ask whether the USD will do better if Romney or Obama win the US presidential election
You mean smart enough not to ask. Except for those who still think their votes will mean or change something.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 pm

I've got a 99% of assets in Gold, Silver and RMB. I'm happy, happy, happy with the recent developments!!!! :) I'm already hoping for QE4!

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 am

Ripsigg wrote:I've got a 99% of assets in Gold, Silver and RMB. I'm happy, happy, happy with the recent developments!!!! :) I'm already hoping for QE4!
jeez rip~...
you actually did listen to the copious (free) advice we gave you in nst back in '07...
g~j (at this point) now consider the bernank one of our best amigos...
yeah, yeah - it was a bit of a wait thru some tuff times since qe-II...
but we knew the bernank had NO choice - it was the ol' rock vs. a hard place...
he HAD to print - he WILL inflate - (because austerity is most politically undesirable, of course)
thus, he will continue to drive the dismal do$$ar down, down, down...
until it reaches the it's absolute true value - that of paper!
the can will be kicked down the road again...
the fiat addicts will continue to get their fix...
we may all peer at the light at the end of the tunnel (aka the train...)

please - anyone may try to prove us wrong (but we seriously doubt anyone's ability to actually do so...)
we need only remember the track record of inflation over history (ok, let's look at the last 800yrs)...
Inflation 800 years_0.jpg
Inflation 800 years_0.jpg (20.28 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
so, the bernank must/will continue this positive slope - up, up and away...
wtf - no worries...
the bernank is making us (well, at least rip~, g~j, eeuu and a few others) rich beyond all dreams of avarice...!
:alien:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am

Dollar index has broken 79 this morning. WIll be interesting to see the action in the open outcry commodity markets in the next hours.

Of course these moves are always distorted by TPTB and the rest of the world doing QE to match.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:23 am

The Chile CB lost this round, with copper strongly UP AGAIN, the bottom dropped out of 474.

Now 469.752

Yep, they are too preoccupied over their family's 18 celebration. :lol:

- Søren Kierkegaard

ChileWild

Post by ChileWild » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 pm

it is easy to see inflation, I remember a bottle of coke at .10, I have not bought one in a while since I stopped drinking them years ago, but are they not going for around a dollar a can... Speaking on inflation, gold & silver is really about maintaining wealth, as inflation adds to the cost of everything around us. In reality most stocks will reach higher prices for the same reason. The QEs help to clear the debt from the derivative disasater back in 2007, the banks are protecting their own, and I am under the impression there is not any way to fix this other than dollar devaluation. I saw it coming in 2006 with the real estate bubble in the states, that is when I bought my PMs but not sure if it was a necessity as mentioned the market will go up due to QE. I am worried about confiscation and/or an even higher tax rate on PMs which may be needed for monetary stabilization. Eventually, China I suspect will lead for a gold backed currency, since they are actively buying gold and there are rumors... And have read, if this happens expect other countries to follow suit. But really believe the previous two statements are informed speculation. if only the PM manipulators would stop the suppression, soon the dam will break anyway, then will gold/silver reach there true values based on current inflation.. Athough we do see some deflation, a big dose of it would not be popular socially and politically... These are my thoughts here only, seems if we have larger currency devaluation for the USD and higher taxes in the US, something would need to give, therefore I believe housing will take another squeeze, because food and gas are not as easily tempered in price and there is a larger margin for home prices. This is despite the recent mean home price increase in the US. just some shared thoughts...