Prepaid mastercard in Chile

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Spudzilla

Re: Prepaid mastercard in Chile

Post by Spudzilla » Thu May 06, 2021 8:38 pm

I knew it was not the card after the second card was issued. The third time they issued a new card I knew it was fubar.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm

Many here have BE CuentaRUT and have had years of seamless (except for browser issues) transactions in Chile. You need to push them into verifying that online transactions are activated and permitted.
Que será, será.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu May 06, 2021 8:57 pm

Thanks . Ill try to get a chileno friend to go with me.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm

I had the same issue earlier yesterday. The moron CS rep at the BancoEstado branch wanted to issue me a new card instead of activating my clave internet and my tercera clave. Hace the rep activate your account for online transactions and get you a clave internet and make sure they have the right phone number on file and have them have it set up for your tercera clave.

Bringing a Chilean friend as a translator certainly helps. Chileans sometimes like to pretend they don't understand your Spanish when they think they can make you go away. I had this happen a lot in banks.

Good luck.

Once you're able to make bank transfers, then your should both be able to purchase online (the online payment system seems to be linked to your online banking system), as well as using prepaid cards. Mach is nice that they give you a virtual visa card, which works better at Amazon than other cards in my experience. I still find it simpler to pay with my American card at Amazon, but I assume that's not an option for you or we wouldn't be talking about this.

I may end up making a separate post evaluating the prepaid card system, as I ended up getting quite a lot of use of them.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 pm

Chileans sometimes like to pretend they don't understand your Spanish when they think they can make you go away. I had this happen a lot in banks.
That has oddly turned in to a very important security feature with my local bank branch.

over the years everyone that works there has simply learned not to talk to me. It just simplifies everything for everyone concerned. my wife, or one of my secretaries calls ahead to coordinate everything so I don't have to waist time hanging around the bank, and more importantly I don't screw anything up. :lol:

well, everyone at the bank also knows not to call me directly. I don't think my cell phone number is even in my file.

so a couple of years ago someone ran a scam calling around town. when they called me and said something like, "I am an executive calling from the the frutillar branch, and I need you to authenticate your ID with your PIN number, bla, bla, bla", I just laughed and hung-up. Not because of the amateur con attempt to get a PIN out of me over the phone, but the idea that it would occur for anyone from my local branch to call me at all.

An older, less tech savvy chilean friend in town fell for it. lost 15 million pesos.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm

Once you're able to make bank transfers, then your should both be able to purchase online (the online payment system seems to be linked to your online banking system), as well as using prepaid cards. Mach is nice that they give you a virtual visa card, which works better at Amazon than other cards in my experience. I still find it simpler to pay with my American card at Amazon, but I assume that's not an option for you or we wouldn't be talking about this.
I actually have good credit and my US cards work fine for ordering from Amazon. Indeed, if the newly stated policy of Amazon to provide free shipping to Chile comes to fruition, that will possibly be the best option. No more frustrating interactions with passive aggresive sales staff. No more items shipped COD because the vendors refuse to take responsability for shipping the products they sell.
Of course this all remains to be seen .
There are of course things that really need to be purchased here, such as certain flamable chemicals, agricultural goods, 220 volt tools and appliances etc.
It really is quite stunning the incredible drag on the economy the banks cause with their restrictive policies.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 07, 2021 12:59 pm

Spudzilla wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm

There are of course things that really need to be purchased here, such as (...) 220 volt tools and appliances.
Amazon Spain ships 220V tools and appliances with EU plugs, which are compatible for the most part with Chilean outlets. Wink wink. I'm not sure if shipping would be worth it for larger appliances, but it's an option.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Fri May 07, 2021 1:15 pm

For about 3 years I had a "real" job with a work contract at a Chilean company. It generally sucked, but there were a few good points. One was that the company had an agreement with several banks to make it easy for employees to get bank accounts, so I was able to get a normal checking account. The other was that having a work contract helped us to get a mortgage. The severance check when they decided to let me go wasn't bad either.

I'm glad I took advantage of the opportunity to get a checking account when I could.