Prepaid mastercard in Chile

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Spudzilla

Prepaid mastercard in Chile

Post by Spudzilla » Thu May 06, 2021 5:51 pm

I have had a Banco Estado Cuenta RUT for three years, and the bank is not able to make my debit card function for online purchases. After the bank issued 3 cards, and none of them functioning, I realized that I am a moron to think that they would ever be capable of fixing the problem or indeed even wanting to fix the problem.
So I remember that a few years back that Mastercard announced that they would be making prepago cards available through various banks.
Well it seems that the banks want nothing to do with these instruments, however they can be issued through 4 different entities. Los Heros, Coopeuch, Superdigital and Tenpo.

Has anyone on the forum had experience with prepaid credit cards with any of these businesses?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: Prepaid mastercard in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 06, 2021 6:53 pm

Que será, será.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu May 06, 2021 7:16 pm

Thanks eeuunikkeiexpat. I just glanced through their site. It appears that I would have to load the account through a bank transfer. My Banco Estado debit card does not function for anything except caja automatica. Is there something I am missing?

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu May 06, 2021 7:25 pm

Did you get a card to do transfers when you opened your CuentaRUT? I think it is standard to receive it. It's a plastic card with a grid of different numbers. The transfers section of the BancoEstado website will ask you for those numbers to make a transfer, such as the number that corresponds to square A1, E3, etc.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm

The transfer is done via Chile online bank transfer and if you want an unused balance back, you initiate it on your smartphone and it is deposited back into your bank account.
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Spudzilla, these online orders, are you talking about outside of Chile or in Chile? If Chile, there should never be a need to type in your debit card as all is done using WebPay using the coordinate card that came with your CuentaRUT to approve the transaction. You also need to have a a registered phone for the third key (SMS or robot voice call) if needed.
Que será, será.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu May 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks gringalais. Yes I did get the "enigma machine" card with my debit card. Ive never tried a transfer only tried online purchases. When I attempt to make an online purchase, I get a fatal error when it goes to the Banco Estado site.
If my spanish were better I may have been able to resolve the problem. Im afraid I will have a melt down if I go back and their solution is to give me yet another debit card.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu May 06, 2021 7:54 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 pm
Spudzilla, these online orders, are you talking about outside of Chile or in Chile? If Chile, there should never be a need to type in your debit card as all is done using WebPay using the coordinate card that came with your CuentaRUT to approve the transaction. You also need to have a a registered phone for the third key (SMS or robot voice call) if needed.
These are purchases in Chile. I only get to the point where WebPay transfers to Banco Estado, and then I get the errors. I guess Ive never been able to get to the coordinate code prompt.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 06, 2021 7:57 pm

What browser are you using? WebPay can be finicky at times with Safari and Firefox crapping out during the process more than other browsers.

I usually use Opera or Brave when I do online WebPay orders. Chrome is probably the most compatible but I only use that browser to manage my websites and for nothing else more (a privacy thing for me).
Que será, será.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 pm

Ive been using chrome from an android tablet. If I could get the debit card to work I wouldnt need a prepaid credit card.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 06, 2021 8:05 pm

If you can do an online bank transfer, then MACH is an option.

You follow the instructions and setup a BCI destinario with your RUT number as explained. Any transfers to that destinario credits your MACH virtual card instantly.
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 06, 2021 8:11 pm

If you do go back to the bank, what you need is not a new card but to verify if the ability to do online bank transfers and use WebPay for purchases are activated and to verify the cell number they have for the tercera clave is correct.
Que será, será.