Setting up a (non-RUT) bank account

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
tiagoabner

Re: Setting up a (non-RUT) bank account

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:08 pm
Isn't 3 million the Cuenta RUT's limit for how much you can have in at any one time. Is the limit to receive a single transaction lower? I was unable to send over 1 million once. Perhaps the answer is on this forum or their website.

I suggest you ask them to pay you cash or to a UK account. Otherwise, if neither is possible, the solution isn´t obvious. You could probably get account maybe within a few months or a year or two of getting here, but in the first days and weeks or in advance...very tricky...sorry...
You can hold up to $3.000.000 in your balance. You can transfer up to $1.000.000 per day, although transfers within the first 24 hours of sending to a new recipient at $100.000 ($100.000 cap for the first 24 hours). You can make online purchases up to $400.000, although some Cuenta RUT users have a lower limit for no apparent reason (IE. my wife can only purchase up to $275.000). You can only receive $2.000.000 in transfers for a given 30-day period.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

houseonfire

Post by houseonfire » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I'm planning on staying for longer than 6 months, it's just that I only have a contract for 6 months (not my choice - it was the best I could get!).

The company wouldn't pay into a UK account or by cash, so it sounds like my best bet is going to be to do the rounds of all the banks and hope that I catch someone on a good day who sympathises with me. I'll let you know how I get on.

houseonfire

Post by houseonfire » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:19 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:38 am

I think the license is by far less of an issue than the bank issue and the can you even travel here in COVID issue. I take it you saw the thread from 2 days ago on this forum: "Chile bans travel from the U.K"
Yep the travel ban is not ideal to say the least. But so far my flight hasn't been cancelled, so I can only wait and see if the ban is lifted in the next month. If it's not, I'll have to spend 14 days somewhere that allows flights from the UK and also flies to Chile (e.g. Brazil).

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:47 pm

houseonfire wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:06 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I'm planning on staying for longer than 6 months, it's just that I only have a contract for 6 months (not my choice - it was the best I could get!).

The company wouldn't pay into a UK account or by cash, so it sounds like my best bet is going to be to do the rounds of all the banks and hope that I catch someone on a good day who sympathises with me. I'll let you know how I get on.
If your company is "importing" you, ask them if they would be able to get you in touch with their bank rep to help you open an account. It's pretty much the only way to get a "big boy" account on a temporary visa.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:21 pm

houseonfire wrote:
my best bet is going to be to do the rounds of all the banks and hope that I catch someone on a good day who sympathises with me.
hmm this might not work - how long have you got between landing in Chile and needing to have a bank account actually opened?
Also, will you already have permanent residence permit in hand before you land in Chile?
You may need a plan B.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:52 am

houseonfire wrote:

How, then do they propose to pay you?
Have they sent you a Chilean employment contract?
It's not optional and is a legally binding document when signed by both parties. It's your only defence if things go wrong with the employer. Of course that means that you have to be legally entitled to work here in the first place.....

Wouldn't hold my breath on the Bank thing. Depositos a Plazo is the option of last resort.

All looks a bit too adventurous for me, but you may get lucky, who knows?
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

houseonfire

Post by houseonfire » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:34 pm

The contract was being sorted out just as the Christmas break landed, so I'll pick it up with them in the new year and see if they can help at all.
I now have the temporary residency permit in my passport after a trip to the Chilean Embassy in London today, so that's one thing ticked off the list. On the downside I got the impression my ID / RUT when I arrive in Santiago might not be all that straight forward... the words of the lady in the embassy were "don't take no for an answer... camp outside if you need to!"
Anyway, I'll be arriving in Santiago on 7th Feb and the contract is due to start on 1st March, with first payment at the end of March. I'll definitely push for getting some assistance from my employer in setting up / sponsoring the bank account.
Thanks all.