Expat leaving debts in Chile

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Gloria

Re: Expat leaving debts in Chile

Post by Gloria » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm

loulou23 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm
Thanks Admin and southchile. I am returning to the UK as I have a house there and the tenants are an absolute nightmare so I have to return to sell it. There will be enough profit for sure more over, to cover this debt totally. But it will take me a time to pay it off. I know of expats who have left 50k or more debt with no qualms, all while here on temporary contracts. It's a crazy amount of credit! I have no morals when its comes to banks. I agree with everything you say. The working force on the ground are f}}}}}D over daily by banks. The UK government banking system is horrifically corrupt (well unless your Richard Branson etc). It's more I want to pay it as I want to return in less than 12 months and also worried they could affect my bank in the UK. I was also worried they could stop me leaving Chile or something and I have my dog with me, that I rescued from Santiago (hopefully that will get me some good karma back :D
You are an irresponsible, total loser with no morals altogether Loulou23 that´s for sure. The rest of your answer is not other than 100% bullshit!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm

loulou23 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 pm
I have a credit card here, with a debt of around 5,000,000CLP. I am not in a position to pay this off now. Do you know what will happen if I leave without paying this? I will be in a position to pay it back when returning to Scotland as will start a new job soon enough.
In debt of CLP$5.000.000 credit card? Can't you pay it in installments? Or is it that your CC has to be liquidated in full each month? If that is the result, then you have got no choice but to default on your repayment since you have got no liquidity to pay it off . But most CC is revolving credit that you can make monthly payment towards the balance you owe.?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Gloria wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm
loulou23 wrote:
Thanks Admin and southchile. I am returning to the UK as I have a house there and the tenants are an absolute nightmare so I have to return to sell it. There will be enough profit for sure more over, to cover this debt totally. But it will take me a time to pay it off. I know of expats who have left 50k or more debt with no qualms, all while here on temporary contracts. It's a crazy amount of credit! I have no morals when its comes to banks. I agree with everything you say. The working force on the ground are f}}}}}D over daily by banks. The UK government banking system is horrifically corrupt (well unless your Richard Branson etc). It's more I want to pay it as I want to return in less than 12 months and also worried they could affect my bank in the UK. I was also worried they could stop me leaving Chile or something and I have my dog with me, that I rescued from Santiago (hopefully that will get me some good karma back :D
You are an irresponsible, total loser with no morals altogether Loulou23 that´s for sure. The rest of your answer is not other than 100% bullshit!
Well that escalated quicky, 😆
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:11 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 pm
loulou23 wrote:
I know of expats who have left 50k or more debt with no qualms, all while here on temporary contracts. It's a crazy amount of credit!
So that's why its so difficult for an expat to get a bank account here.....
I blame the system, especially the evil banks who thrust money at hapless consumers.

Take it that the "50K" referred to is not CLP.
Yeah I doubt it was bank debt they skipped out on while here on temp contracts, 50k to other gringos? Small businesses etc?
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:26 pm

For years I have watched perfectly decent friends in Argentina not pay the full amount of tax that they owe because "the government will just steal it anyway". As evil as you may consider banks to be, it is the person taking on more debt than they can handle who is ultimately to blame. A choice was made. I doubt anything will happen regarding this other than an entry in Dicom, which wouldn't have any effect outside Chile. I am not sure how you plan to pay back this debt (plus whatever interest accrues) and would be interested to know how this would work.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:26 pm
I am not sure how you plan to pay back this debt (plus whatever interest accrues) and would be interested to know how this would work.
She won´t and I can bet you anything, anything you want. This is what´s going to happen.....hear me out. She´ll go thru the International Police like an innocent white dove. Will take her seat on the plane and after asking for a drink will say...."those dumbass chileans!" "I got away with it! YAY!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
I am not sure how you plan to pay back this debt (plus whatever interest accrues) and would be interested to know how this would work.
OP said he would sell a property in home country and use proceeds to pay off the debt, just not at once. You're free to interpret that however you want, Gloria.

Interesting anecdote about your Argie friends, Donnybrook.

I believe that this thread has turned into a shame fest of sorts for debtors. His question was innocent in that he wanted to know if he would be able to travel with an outstanding debt. Chile is not China with a social report card that does not allow debtors to purchase airline tickets. He has intent to return to Chile someday and avoid hassles. Seriously, what would be the issue if he just continues to pay off the debt making the monthly payments from money transferred from abroad? Nothing.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

loulou23

Post by loulou23 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:10 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm
loulou23 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 pm
I have a credit card here, with a debt of around 5,000,000CLP. I am not in a position to pay this off now. Do you know what will happen if I leave without paying this? I will be in a position to pay it back when returning to Scotland as will start a new job soon enough.
In debt of CLP$5.000.000 credit card? Can't you pay it in installments? Or is it that your CC has to be liquidated in full each month? If that is the result, then you have got no choice but to default on your repayment since you have got no liquidity to pay it off . But most CC is revolving credit that you can make monthly payment towards the balance you owe.?
Thank you! Yes, I can pay in installments, I have been doing that since I have had the credit card. The problem I have is that I cannot make the monthly repayments as my last salary from Chile was in December and the money I have now I need to just get back to the UK, until I get sorted. I can try to make the minimum payments but with what a transfer costs its not practical. I have to really pay it at once I think.

loulou23

Post by loulou23 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:15 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:11 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 pm
loulou23 wrote:
I know of expats who have left 50k or more debt with no qualms, all while here on temporary contracts. It's a crazy amount of credit!
So that's why its so difficult for an expat to get a bank account here.....
I blame the system, especially the evil banks who thrust money at hapless consumers.

Take it that the "50K" referred to is not CLP.
Yeah I doubt it was bank debt they skipped out on while here on temp contracts, 50k to other gringos? Small businesses etc?
No, it was a friend of my manager here. The man in question had two bank accounts, each owing 25k. She only told me this story as she knew I was genuinely stressed over this situation, maybe trying to make me feel less worried. I'm not sure if it's true as in the UK two bank accounts, both with credit facilities like that is seriously unheard off, so maybe an exaggeration.

loulou23

Post by loulou23 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 pm

Gloria wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 pm
Donnybrook wrote:
She won´t and I can bet you anything, anything you want. This is what´s going to happen.....hear me out. She´ll go thru the International Police like an innocent white dove. Will take her seat on the plane and after asking for a drink will say...."those dumbass chileans!" "I got away with it! YAY!
What are you talking about Gloria!?. If I was going to that then why would I be registering on this site, trying to find out advice.I would be on my British Airways sipping gin with not a care in the world! It seems you have a serious chip on your shoulder about expats. And who by the way said I'm white.

loulou23

Post by loulou23 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
For years I have watched perfectly decent friends in Argentina not pay the full amount of tax that they owe because "the government will just steal it anyway". As evil as you may consider banks to be, it is the person taking on more debt than they can handle who is ultimately to blame. A choice was made. I doubt anything will happen regarding this other than an entry in Dicom, which wouldn't have any effect outside Chile. I am not sure how you plan to pay back this debt (plus whatever interest accrues) and would be interested to know how this would work.
Listen, I don't blame the banks per se. I'm just making a point about the banking system in general. I spent the money, intend to pay it back. It will however take me months to raise the funds needed to clear the debt in full. So I was asking the q question if anyone knew what would happen until I could pay it off. When I have the money, pretty easy. When I return to Chile, I go into the bank and settle the account. Or if its escalated to a third party, pay them.

loulou23

Post by loulou23 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:28 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:07 pm
Donnybrook wrote:
OP said he would sell a property in home country and use proceeds to pay off the debt, just not at once. You're free to interpret that however you want, Gloria.

Interesting anecdote about your Argie friends, Donnybrook.

I believe that this thread has turned into a shame fest of sorts for debtors. His question was innocent in that he wanted to know if he would be able to travel with an outstanding debt. Chile is not China with a social report card that does not allow debtors to purchase airline tickets. He has intent to return to Chile someday and avoid hassles. Seriously, what would be the issue if he just continues to pay off the debt making the monthly payments from money transferred from abroad? Nothing.
That's exactly it. When I sell my property in the UK, I will have more than enough money to pay this debt in full. I was just genuinely wanting to know how much hassle it would cause me as I will be returning here in less than 12 months and would want a bank account again (albeit without credit). So, I'm not trying to rip anyone off, cause other Chileans huge interest rates etc etc. I will just be paying it late.

I have never used this site before, I registered to genuinely get some help. It's a shame people like Gloria exist on it. Comments like that serve no purpose. Only to make me now want to jump on my flight home, order my gin and tonic, pay on my credit card and give a thumbs up to Gloria while I'm drinking it. Wink wink.