Lent a Chilean several millions pesos, and he does not pay back

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
41southchile

Re: Lent a Chilean several millions pesos, and he does not pay back

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:28 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:48 am
there is a fine line, judgment call regarding indivdual employees.

probably bigger issue with gringos just ariving is them trying to be too friendly, buddy, buddy with an employee or their family. without a much better feal for the culture, it almost always causes problems and misunderstandings. keep the relationship friendly, but professional.
Yeah agree professional and pleasant no need to be an ass hole if you can help it, but not buddy buddy, I certainly wouldn't have them over for dinner, ir go around to their local bar, because I know it would make them feel as uncomfortable too, I've told this to gringos before and they look at me like I'm some arrogant classist who thinks he's better than others or challenge me. In New Zealand we would have employess over for a meal or go have beers with them on a Friday night but that's not the way it works here, may sound harsh to some but it just doesn't happen. I try to explain it's not about thinking I'm better than anyone it's just what is proper and the culture here, the same reason you wouldn't go to a wedding ceremony dressed in a t shirt and ripped jeans or sit on a table in a Maori household or go wearing a bikini in a Muslim country, etc etc. But you right it can go wrong and there are many examples of where it has in Chile where gringo thinks they should mix it up with employees
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:08 pm

I have never been asked for a loan. My husband was considering giving a friend a large loan but I put my foot down. They were friends and nothing scuppers a friendship quicker than money issues. The only problem I have had with people not returning things was a gringo couple who never gave anything back. I wasn't shy about asking for it either. They would just say they didn't have it or couldn't find it. After three situations like this the next time they asked for something I just said "no, you don't return things" and they stopped asking.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 pm

ow yea, i should probably clarrify that i dont give unsecured loans to any human on the planet. it us not a chilean thing. it is a human nature thing.

street dog needs a loan, no problem. humans, i'm going to need to put a mortgage over the title to your house first.

:lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Turning into an interesting and useful thread. I did give a few very small loans to close family on my wife's side a few times like 5000 or 10,000. A few times I got it back, once or twice I didn't but they would do me some favours later and perhaps in an unspoken way it was a kind of compensation.

I just don't get how you can be down to your last 10,000 while owning a 5 million a car and a 500k smart phone, and then feel the need to spend that last 10,000 immediately on something that seems fairly trivial like a day out to the beach.

There was also talk from close family on my wife's side about me getting involved in investing in businesses on the wife's side. Various investments at the level of a few million. I just nipped those discussions in the bud at an early stage.

Apart from close family, I've never been approached for a loan that I can recall.

Even the close family hasn't asked me for a loan for a year or two. I think people have got the message over time that I am just going to say no to everything.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Britkid wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 pm
I just don't get how you can be down to your last 10,000 while owning a 5 million a car and a 500k smart phone, and then feel the need to spend that last 10,000 immediately on something that seems fairly trivial like a day out to the beach.
I believe there was a discussion a few years back about how the social/family network supports that kind of lifestyle. Overdraft insurance included.

The justification to ask you for that 10k is probably that you really wouldn't miss it and that their reward would be worth the minimal effort to ask.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost." Zack de la Rocha
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 pm

my two cents - and it's a gift not a loan. I'm with admin on friends/relatives. Don't loan to relatives if at all possible. The best way to lose a friend is to loan him/her money. Now and then I will observe that a friend is up against it and if I can afford it, I just find a way to make it a gift.
One needs to be a bit tactful but a good friend needs to be cherished. BTW, people have done the same for me. What goes around comes around, or so we hope.

As for maestros, much more complicated. I've had maestros who truly had problems - car trouble or what have you - so I have advanced against
their pay which worked out fine for a while. But, eventually they came to expect that for any little thing, I would help out and they became rather nasty when I wouldn't. It may have been partly my fault as I may have made it too easy. My over arching thought was that I wanted to keep the work going. Eventually things reached the point of deep pout and nothing got done right. See the next para....

Regarding maestros, another hard learned lesson was regarding errors. I finally decided that my rule is "one error is a mistake, two is a plan.
Fix it on your own time or you're fired." I found that the same mistakes were occurring again and again, so I paid for an error and then paid to fix it. Kind of a job corps kind of thing. Maestros would explain to me the right way to do something While They Were Doing It Wrongly. How stupid do they think I am??? Very apparently.

So, here's a question for your consideration. My auto was assaulted by a maestro who tried and failed to intimidate me for money. BTW, I am of the female persuasion, which apparently made him think I would be trembling in fear. I know the name and address of the maestro, who bragged about it to his buddies. The carabineros have all the info. My insurance will pay most but not all of the repairs. I will be out of pocket about 200.000 CLP. The carabineros tell me that I can pursue my denouncia with something called FISCALIA. This entity will decide whether to instruct the carabineros to ? arrest? the maestro. Or serve a type of court order to pay? I am of two minds. It may be more trouble than it's worth, and obviously the guy has a horrible temper. But, I'm out the money and the auto will be three weeks in the shop. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Thanks and have a great day.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:51 pm

ghibli wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 pm

My auto was assaulted by a maestro who tried and failed to intimidate me for money. BTW, I am of the female persuasion, which apparently made him think I would be trembling in fear. I know the name and address of the maestro, who bragged about it to his buddies. The carabineros have all the info. My insurance will pay most but not all of the repairs. I will be out of pocket about 200.000 CLP. The carabineros tell me that I can pursue my denouncia with something called FISCALIA. This entity will decide whether to instruct the carabineros to ? arrest? the maestro. Or serve a type of court order to pay? I am of two minds. It may be more trouble than it's worth, and obviously the guy has a horrible temper. But, I'm out the money and the auto will be three weeks in the shop. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Thanks and have a great day.
This is my take in the matter. Talk to your insurance agent and explain clearly the incident and today's condition of the car and ask for a "reputable" mechanic. Remove the car from the "mechanic's" property ASAP with the presence of CARABINEROS .Leaving the vehicle in his posession will be a great mistake. The guy as you said is more trouble than it's worth and it could destroy it in "revenge". Fiscalia will drag your butt to different places but won't resolved anything. For sure they are backlogged with criminal cases. You could try to recup some of your money by filing a complaint at SERNAC. But first save your car from destruction.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 pm

Thank you Gloria. I had a feeling Fiscalia might be a waste of time. Sounds like the safest thing to do is try to preserve what I have, suck up the money loss and be thankful for what I do have.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm

ghibli wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 pm
Thank you Gloria. I had a feeling Fiscalia might be a waste of time. Sounds like the safest thing to do is try to preserve what I have, suck up the money loss and be thankful for what I do have.
:alien: EXCELLENT! Common sense prevails! ( fortunately) Go, get him!! and give us an update.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Are we to believe then, that Chile has nothing similar to a small claims court where people can resolve minor civil cases?

-----------------------------------------------
Living well is all that matters. That's what I do.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Better it happened in Argie lover land.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 am

El Zorro wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 pm
Are we to believe then, that Chile has nothing similar to a small claims court where people can resolve minor civil cases?

-----------------------------------------------
Living well is all that matters. That's what I do.
Say what?.......nah! The closest you can get to a small claim court is a tv program called "La Jueza" where cases like this gets resolved but many ppl don´t want so much exposure, however....it works!