Lent a Chilean several millions pesos, and he does not pay back

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
scandinavian

Re: Lent a Chilean several millions pesos, and he does not pay back

Post by scandinavian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am

Gloria wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 pm
the19trier wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 pm
What are the ways to get the money back?
. Shaming him in FB or any social media won´t work either ´cause most chileans when it comes to "plata" have no shame.
Depending on this person status in society, I disagree. if he projects himself as a successful businessman and moves in the higher society then he would not like that you shame him on social media. This is why most condominios in eastern Santiago have big signs at the entrance for all to see, where they "shame" the houseowners that are behind on the gasto comunes.
I have had success with the lawyer warning when I could not get my deposite back after renting a house. Of course, that was a clear legal situation where I was owed money. Still, sending an official letter from a lawyer telling him that if he does not start paying, then you will sue, might make him change his mind... I wouldn't actually follow through with the threat though, unless it is a lot of millions.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:40 am

Yeah not much else to say here Gloria , Fraggle, bow26 and pretty much everyone have summed it up already. Very familiar sounding story though, someone didn't pay them and they can't pay you, there must be a play sheet all these fresco rajas follow because that's typically how it goes, the big payment they were expecting didn't happen so you get nothing. Hmmmmmm
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 am

couple of years ago a good friend got in a bit of financial pinch. was not going to be able to pay the rent, school for the kids, etc. she did not aproach us for help, but we found out about it through mutual friends they were in trouble.

so my wife and i decided we should help them out. I felt it kind of patronizing and not terribly helpful to hand them say 20,000 pesos, when they really needed like 500,000 just to keep a roof over their head. like handing someone a tea cup to bail out the titanic.

so we debated loaning them money. which, i am seriously against loaning money to anyone, let alone friends. bad things happen, probably certain to end a friendship at best.

Then i had the deeply selfish philosophical thought. I realized we could just give them the money, and i could just chalk it up to the price of having friends.

if my friends got kicked out their house, they would have to move out of town (nothing to rent here). then we will have to find new friends. which after considering dinners, wine, other requirments to get to know someone. expect a few false starts with people we don't like, it is going to cost way more than 500,000 pesos.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am
Depending on this person status in society, I disagree. if he projects himself as a successful businessman and moves in the higher society then he would not like that you shame him on social media.
Ha ha ha! Have you heard of a character by the name of Donald J. Trump?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy becomes a farce when politicians put themselves up for sale.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 pm

Yawn
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

the19trier

Post by the19trier » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Does anyone of you know a suitable lawyer in this case for getting the money back?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:23 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 am
couple of years ago a good friend got in a bit of financial pinch. was not going to be able to pay the rent, school for the kids, etc. she did not aproach us for help, but we found out about it through mutual friends they were in trouble.

so my wife and i decided we should help them out. I felt it kind of patronizing and not terribly helpful to hand them say 20,000 pesos, when they really needed like 500,000 just to keep a roof over their head. like handing someone a tea cup to bail out the titanic.

so we debated loaning them money. which, i am seriously against loaning money to anyone, let alone friends. bad things happen, probably certain to end a friendship at best.

Then i had the deeply selfish philosophical thought. I realized we could just give them the money, and i could just chalk it up to the price of having friends.

if my friends got kicked out their house, they would have to move out of town (nothing to rent here). then we will have to find new friends. which after considering dinners, wine, other requirments to get to know someone. expect a few false starts with people we don't like, it is going to cost way more than 500,000 pesos.
Lol that is not selfish it's just practical, I kind of take that logic with my staff sometimes, they dont ask for loans that often, maybe 4 or 5 times in last 6 years, usually if the car breaks down or something like that unexpected comes up and normally less than 400 k.
Its a "loan" but from my point of view it's more like a bonus or a donation, same reasons I can't be bothered looking for new staff and the cost to find new staff would be more than these occasional loans, these guys are reliable and good people that I like so I'm not going to worry about the occasional thing like that
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm

the19trier wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm
Does anyone of you know a suitable lawyer in this case for getting the money back?
you just....jpg
you just....jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Oh no.jpg
Oh no.jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 135 times
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Friend.......
You need.....jpg
You need.....jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 130 times
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm

the19trier wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 pm
Britkid wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm
Make a record of all the information you can get about him and his friends and colleagues and work place, make a written backup record of everything that can see via Linked In and Facebook especially. This is so you still retain all this information if he starts trying to block you or getting his friends to block you. Make sure you have the information all stored offline.
How to store such information? Just saving screenshots? Or is there a better way?
Screenshots or even manually writing something down. There may be a cleverer way but if there is unfortunately I don't know it.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 am

So, what did you actually do?
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 am
As Shakespeare wrote,"Neither a borrower nor a lender be".
I think I agree with Shakespeare here.

I think public shaming might work. I think with facebook assuming it's just social contacts you could be more direct with the requests to pay the money back, perhaps even critical. But with Linked In you will damage your own professional standing if you use that for personal disputes. It will end up making yourself look bad. You could reply to a public post he made and say "nice post, hey by the way did you get my messages? We still need to sort out that issue." but you probably wouldn't want to go further or be specific.

Of course, if you take my suggested route of going after him slightly aggressively of course there are any number of ways it could blow up in your face. But I think going after the money is the right thing to do from an unselfish standpoint for the whole of society and the right thing to do.

Even discounting that, and looking at it from a personal selfish standpoint, I wouldn't give up at this point that's for sure.