Lent a Chilean several millions pesos, and he does not pay back

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
bow26

Re: Lent a Chilean several millions pesos, and he does not pay back

Post by bow26 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Don’t think public shaming is gonna carry the same weight as it would in the US or Northern Europe anyway as it’s so common for friends and family to lend each other money in Chile, then not pay it back, fall out over it... this is why if you have spare cash and are orderly with bills and debts you have to “cry” all the time and say you’ve got nothing to spare.. to fend off the requests!!

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Chanta:
Persona que se cree algo que no es, y se vanagloria de sus actos que en realidad es todo mentira

que chanta el vendedor, dice puras mentiras

Sorry to hear about your situation but this word describes this person in Chile, and sorry to say they are well represented in Chile, some may even say overrepresented , once you learn (usually by losing money) you can spot them a mile away.
Been there done that, lost millions too, but hey there ya go that's Chile it's like that here sometimes, lesson learnt.
But the thing that is probably worse than losing money is thinking they were your friends, but then you look back with the benefit of hindsight and you realise they were actually really chanta,well that's just my experience.
I'll say good luck , because you will need a lot of it to get anything back , and will probably end up moving on as it wears you down eventually.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 pm

How did the loan start? Did he come to you asking for a loan? Or did you offer him the loan out of a desire to help him (presumably after he laid out his tale of woe?)

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 pm

the19trier wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 pm
What are the ways to get the money back?
Ways?....seriously? In Chile lending money to anyone....and I mean anyone, is considered to be a DONATION. Sorry to say but kiss your millions goodbye. You cannot go to the PDI because of lack of contract. If you hire a lawyer trying to take him to court, you would be contributing to the lawyers early retirement, so no solution there. Shaming him in FB or any social media won´t work either ´cause most chileans when it comes to "plata" have no shame. This is a lesson for you and those reading this forum. Don´t talk to anyone with regard to your finances, don´t flaunt money in front of anyone, if someone asks you for it, just tell them you are not a lending institution period. If you lose friends, don´t worry about it.... get a dog..... you´ll be better off!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

the19trier

Post by the19trier » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm
Make a record of all the information you can get about him and his friends and colleagues and work place, make a written backup record of everything that can see via Linked In and Facebook especially. This is so you still retain all this information if he starts trying to block you or getting his friends to block you. Make sure you have the information all stored offline.
How to store such information? Just saving screenshots? Or is there a better way?

the19trier

Post by the19trier » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:32 pm

mem wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 pm
How did the loan start? Did he come to you asking for a loan? Or did you offer him the loan out of a desire to help him (presumably after he laid out his tale of woe?)
Here is how it started and goes on.

He was owning a company doing international trades and therefore he received payments in USD. I was looking to exchange some USD so we agreed to change money. I passed him the pesos, but he said a big scheduled payment did not come in time, and his firm had cash flow issues. He promised me to pay me back when he would get his cash. He said he eventually went to court but did not get his money and his company went down. He then said he would find a job to pay me back. But it took him months to find a job. His first job gave little income. And he tried to change jobs....

mem

Post by mem » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 pm

the19trier wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:32 pm
mem wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 pm
Here is how it started and goes on.

He was owning a company doing international trades and therefore he received payments in USD. I was looking to exchange some USD so we agreed to change money. I passed him the pesos, but he said a big scheduled payment did not come in time, and his firm had cash flow issues. He promised me to pay me back when he would get his cash. He said he eventually went to court but did not get his money and his company went down. He then said he would find a job to pay me back. But it took him months to find a job. His first job gave little income. And he tried to change jobs....
Ouch, so it really was not supposed to be a loan in the first place. It was supposed to be a currency exchange, but then whoops he didnt have the currency to do the exchange so it turned into a loan. Really terrible it has turned into this saga for you. It wasn't even like his family was starving or something. It does sound really sketchy on his part

the19trier

Post by the19trier » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 pm

It happened when I was traveling away from Chile, so everything is in the email.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Let us know how it goes...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:24 am

First and foremost, find out what the law in Chile has to say about debts, and follow through. That seems to be your only realistic recourse now, even if you just have to chuck it all up to experience.

----------------------------------------------------------
A Republican is a Democrat devoid of a sense of empathy.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 am

At the levels of Chilean society where hopefully none of the forumites dwell, Colombian prestamistas employ increasingly strong threats culminating with violence to get their money. Fortunately, they only operate in areas where the Rule of Law is pretty sketchy.

For the rest of us, what Gloria said was 100% correct.
Don't lend money with the expectation of getting it back. If you insist, you become the enemy and may be subject to retaliation. As Shakespeare wrote,"Neither a borrower nor a lender be".

As for legal redress, in Chile they say "Los papeles hablan". If you don't have legalized documentation, forget it.

And if you are offering goods or services, don't be shy, insist on payment up front. Only people that don't intend to pay will act offended. A luca in the hand is worth ten in pagos contra factura or ordenes de compra.
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am

The Gloria and fraggle warnings also apply to any business or investment venture as "socios" and I would even extend it to long term extranjeros who have adopted the Chilean way of life. To be avoided at all cost.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat