Chile Wealth, Inequality, and International rankings

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
fraggle092

Re: Chile Wealth, Inequality, and International rankings

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:11 am

From Reuters
How lithium-rich Chile botched a plan to attract battery makers.png
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:17 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:11 am
From Reuters
I know it's too long a headline but it should say
How a former inept left wing administration in Lithium rich Chile had a misguided belief in what their country was capable of and clueless when it came to the reality of how markets and assignation of capital moves , and managed to make the world lose confidence in their Lithium mining ability .
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:08 am

41southchile wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:17 am
fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:11 am
From Reuters
I know it's too long a headline but it should say
How a former inept left wing administration in Lithium rich Chile had a misguided belief in what their country was capable of and clueless when it came to the reality of how markets and assignation of capital moves , and managed to make the world lose confidence in their Lithium mining ability .

we could write similar headlines for bachelet's accomplishments:

education reform
tax reform
immigration reform
decentralization
pension reform
ect.
economy, in any form
budget reform

basically, if they touched it, they broke it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:29 am

here is one reform, they mostly got right, because they had too: corruption and transparency reforms

https://www.americasquarterly.org/conte ... ppen-chile

I think that article gives bachelet way too much credit. she was just covering her rear politicaly and submitting to the enormous political and public pressure to implement stronger anti-corruption measures. It is like patting a criminal on the back, for turning themselves in.

Thanks to that b.s., I now have to register my financial accounts with the government as being "related to a politically exposed person", because I have a very vague, and very remote, business partnership with someone that works for the government. Thanks Bachelet.

We have had standing policy for years, of keeping the government away from our business. we don't contract with them. we don't apply for grants. we don't take on clients, that contract with the government. nothing.

it is just pure trouble, and pretty much everyone I have ever know who did do it, got burned sooner or later doing biz with them or depending on them for payment (many went bankrupt or nearly bankrupt). Too politically volatile, and they have a way of not paying their bills by stalling payments by using the beucracy as an excuse.

many of the largest construction companies the country are refusing to even bid on many MOP infrastructure projects now, because the government stopped paying. The head of one of the largest construction companies in the country said in a conference, "we simply can not have every contract turn in to multi-year legal battle just to get paid". It is simply not worth it. He was still trying to get paid for work done after the earthquake in 2010. I have known small, one or two person buisness forced in to bankruptcy by the goverment, and one of the largest multi-million dollar companies forced in to bankruptcy from the government stalling on payments.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 pm

in terms of comparison and contrast with argentina, here is one of the best articles i have seen in recent years on the economic collapses in Argentina and the what is coming up in this election.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... mic-crisis
Argentina has spent 33% of the time since 1950 in recession, according to a World Bank report released in May. In global terms, that is second only to the Democratic Republic of Congo, which endured two major wars, three military coups and numerous regional conflicts over the same period. By comparison, Argentina’s larger neighbor Brazil has seen recession for 12% of that time.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:50 pm

FYI, I think it would be very likely at this point that Fernandez is going to win the presidency again. as the article states, one way or the other, after 2021 AR is going to be back in a major (by Argentina standards) economic crisis, again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:35 am

so a while back I was reading an article about the the 'Trump supporter white backlash' thingy going on in the united states.

there was a historian that said something like, "if you have always been privileged, equality feels like oppression".

so I thought that was a great summary of a lot of things going on in the world today.

It probably also applies to america overall, not just white middle class. 'American exceptionalism' in the world has also come under attack in recent years; and, I don't think that is just a misperception. It is very real. If you talk to older chileans, they still sort of view the u.s. as this mythical land of milk and honey, where the best products come from, etc, etc. America sold the world that market branding.

here is an article and graphics to backup how that has changed in recent years in terms if trade and travel:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019 ... nd=premium

it makes sense then, how Trump lashing out at globalization, which really probably a decline in 'American exceptionalism', sells well in the u.s. on both the left and the right.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:50 pm

interesting article on why we can not fix GDP to measure true wellbeing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... nd=premium

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 pm

According to the new study from Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas:
  • the average monthly salary is $573,964
  • but the median salary is $400,000, i.e. 50% of the workers earn less than that
  • women earn 16.5% less than men (and even 27.2% less in case of the average salary)
  • the worst region is Ñuble where the median is only $300,000 and the best is Magallanes with $501,805
  • only 1.7% make more than $3,000,000 monthly
  • still, 68.3% of households have income of $1,126,921 or more, 21.4% have it in the $500,000–750,000 range

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 pm
According to the new study from Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas:
  • the average monthly salary is $573,964
  • but the median salary is $400,000, i.e. 50% of the workers earn less than that
  • women earn 16.5% less than men (and even 27.2% less in case of the average salary)
  • the worst region is Ñuble where the median is only $300,000 and the best is Magallanes with $501,805
  • only 1.7% make more than $3,000,000 monthly
  • still, 68.3% of households have income of $1,126,921 or more, 21.4% have it in the $500,000–750,000 range
finally had a chance to look at that article in more detail.

on the one hand i want to say, that does not sound too bad for a developing country. on the other,....not so much.

not passing the smell test.

only 1.7% of the pop, makes more than 3 million a month (about u.s. 50,000 a year).

18 million people, or about 300,000 people make more than 50,000 a year.

how many people live in just los condes alone?

turns out, just about 300,000 people.

now you don't need to make 3 million a month to live in los condes, but pretty close. probably at least a household income close to that for a family.

how about the rest of the 'richer' neighborhoods in the country?

then there is the whole income vs. wealth thing. once you pass a certain amount of monthly income, your total income tends to start becoming passive.

I just don't ever see some group ever knocking on the doors of big houses in gated communities and getting an answer anywhere close to what the house actuelly makes. what they probably get is a bunch of not so friendly security guards, that tell them to go away.

pretty much anyone with anything in chile to report, is not going to want to give an even remotely real answer. the rich because they don't want to get robbed or pay taxes. the poor, because they don't want government benefits cut off. both have pretty good reasons not to talk to the government about it, regardless.

that is aside from the institute for statistics in chile being statistically challenged.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 am

I suppose Chile should be happy with 1.75 percent growth for 1st 6 months of 2019. It's not 3.5 (cough cough cough was always bullshit and set people's expectations too high) nevertheless its better than a very very long list of countries at the moment. More cheap money anyone? Its 5am the parties well and truly over , but central banks are like the drunk guy who wants to find a bottle store open to carry on. Do they think cheap money is the answer ? Or they have other tricks up their sleeves?
https://www.soychile.cl/Santiago/Socied ... nales.aspx
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:59 am

yea, I have been thinking about how to play the global debt glut, and negative interest rates.

I came up with a really radical investment thesis. Invest in companies with little to no debt, and strong balance sheets.

when it all blows-up in their face, those will be the companies able to eat everyone else's lunch.