Space Cat wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 pm
According to the new study
from Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas:
- the average monthly salary is $573,964
- but the median salary is $400,000, i.e. 50% of the workers earn less than that
- women earn 16.5% less than men (and even 27.2% less in case of the average salary)
- the worst region is Ñuble where the median is only $300,000 and the best is Magallanes with $501,805
- only 1.7% make more than $3,000,000 monthly
- still, 68.3% of households have income of $1,126,921 or more, 21.4% have it in the $500,000–750,000 range
finally had a chance to look at that article in more detail.
on the one hand i want to say, that does not sound too bad for a developing country. on the other,....not so much.
not passing the smell test.
only 1.7% of the pop, makes more than 3 million a month (about u.s. 50,000 a year).
18 million people, or about 300,000 people make more than 50,000 a year.
how many people live in just los condes alone?
turns out, just about 300,000 people.
now you don't need to make 3 million a month to live in los condes, but pretty close. probably at least a household income close to that for a family.
how about the rest of the 'richer' neighborhoods in the country?
then there is the whole income vs. wealth thing. once you pass a certain amount of monthly income, your total income tends to start becoming passive.
I just don't ever see some group ever knocking on the doors of big houses in gated communities and getting an answer anywhere close to what the house actuelly makes. what they probably get is a bunch of not so friendly security guards, that tell them to go away.
pretty much anyone with anything in chile to report, is not going to want to give an even remotely real answer. the rich because they don't want to get robbed or pay taxes. the poor, because they don't want government benefits cut off. both have pretty good reasons not to talk to the government about it, regardless.
that is aside from the institute for statistics in chile being statistically challenged.