Chile Wealth, Inequality, and International rankings

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
41southchile

Re: Chile Wealth, Inequality, and International rankings

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:41 am

at46 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:40 am
Chilean teens consume more tobacco, cocaine and marijuana than their peers in any other country in the Americas. https://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/pai ... 63934.html
Any theories on why ? Chile also leads on
Cigarettes too I see in the general population in the Americas. It is still very socially acceptable here more so than in places like Brazil where they seem to have more restrictions I've noticed, not sure just guessing, but they are very cheap here relative to incomes too . I think out of all the smokers I've met here I've only ever met one person that didn't smoke cigarettes in front of their kids because he didn't want to be a bad role model for them, he eventually quit, others blatantly puff puff around their kids like it's the most normal thing in the world, thinking it's still the 1960s or 70s it seems.
Reducing smoking rates is done through a combination of innitiatives and has been done all around the world to varying degrees of success but the trend has been downwards there are plenty of examples to follow, Chile lacks the will to do anything about it and public policies don't see it as a priority.
As for marijuana and coke, well I am not really surprised there either.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:16 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:41 am
at46 wrote:
Chilean teens consume more tobacco, cocaine and marijuana than their peers in any other country in the Americas. https://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/pai ... 63934.html
Cigarettes too I see in the general population in the Americas. It is still very socially acceptable here more so than in places like Brazil where they seem to have more restrictions I've noticed, not sure just guessing, but they are very cheap here relative to incomes too . I think out of all the smokers I've met here I've only ever met one person that didn't smoke cigarettes in front of their kids because he didn't want to be a bad role model for them, he eventually quit, others blatantly puff puff around their kids like it's the most normal thing in the world, thinking it's still the 1960s or 70s it seems.
Reducing smoking rates is done through a combination of innitiatives and has been done all around the world to varying degrees of success but the trend has been downwards there are plenty of examples to follow, Chile lacks the will to do anything about it and public policies don't see it as a priority.
On tobacco I think the Chileans are similar to some Europeans, like, the French, Italians, Spanish. Marijuana is the new 'in' thing. It's been legalized in Canada which kinda gave it a stamp of approval by a developed country that a lot of Chileans are looking up to. Cocaine is probably getting harder to get across the border to the US, so they're dumping it here.

But at the end of the day everything comes down to family values, and there are a lot of dysfunctional families here in Chile. People are really self-absorbed and don't give a shit about los demas. Just my 2 cents.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Marijuana use from the flaites to the partying cuico set has been a Chilean mainstay for a long time and way before the legalization push in the "developed" world.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:22 pm

41southchile wrote:
at46 wrote:
On tobacco I think the Chileans are similar to some Europeans, like, the French, Italians, Spanish. Marijuana is the new 'in' thing. It's been legalized in Canada which kinda gave it a stamp of approval by a developed country that a lot of Chileans are looking up to. Cocaine is probably getting harder to get across the border to the US, so they're dumping it here. Chile is a rich country now, right?

But at the end of the day everything comes down to family values, and there are a lot of dysfunctional families here in Chile. People are really self-absorbed and don't give a shit about los demas. Just my 2 cents.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:24 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 pm
Marijuana use from the flaites to the partying cuico set has been a Chilean mainstay for a long time and way before the legalization push in the "developed" world.
Yeah but what about teens?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:24 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 pm
Yeah but what about teens?
Just following the examples before them and then there was the popularity of "young" MEO in the penultimate presidential election who had a legalization platform back in 2014.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:09 pm

yea, i call b.s. on those drug use stats. are you really telling me that coke use is higher in chile than say countries where kids start teething on coca leaves at birth, and coke is everywhere?

same with marijuana? if anything they smoke more here, because it such crap quality. nothing in chile would pass the pepsi challenge against say even ho hum colombian ditch weed.

cigarettes, perhaps, but you can still light up in restaurants and bars in most europe and the americas. chile they wont even let someone stand too close to a door, although that seems to be subject to interpretation more and more.

i think this all just another case of chile reporting some sort of stats vs. some fuzzy numbers from the rest of the Americas.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:13 pm

FYI, the coke is so 1980's.

opium, prescription drugs, fentanyl, etc is all the rage now for national drug scandals. coke is what they use to cut the fentanyl in the u.s. these days.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:52 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:13 pm

opium, prescription drugs, fentanyl, etc is all the rage now for national drug scandals. coke is what they use to cut the fentanyl in the u.s. these days.
I'd kind of heard of the prescription drug and synthetic opioids like fentanyl and tramadol problems in the states, was only a few months ago I started reading a few articles and book reviews about it and seeing a few YouTube videos on it that I understood more, what can I say ? Holy hell what an absolute disgrace and perfect example of greed and corruption above any sense of morals or ethics, an absolute disgrace and failure of so called professionals on so many levels to let this crisis get to where it is today. Like the town with about 800 citizens where the local doctor dished out 10s of thousands of prescriptions in a year or so. Truely eye opening.
Id rather the kids be on coke or ditch weed here any day , rather than that shit up in the EEUU

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:00 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:22 pm
41southchile wrote:
at46 wrote:
On tobacco I think the Chileans are similar to some Europeans, like, the French, Italians, Spanish. Marijuana is the new 'in' thing. It's been legalized in Canada which kinda gave it a stamp of approval by a developed country that a lot of Chileans are looking up to. Cocaine is probably getting harder to get across the border to the US, so they're dumping it here. Chile is a rich country now, right?

I think your last paragraph sums it up perfectly, definitely hits the nail on the head, and across all classes in society too.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:52 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:13 pm

I'd kind of heard of the prescription drug and synthetic opioids like fentanyl and tramadol problems in the states, was only a few months ago I started reading a few articles and book reviews about it and seeing a few YouTube videos on it that I understood more, what can I say ? Holy hell what an absolute disgrace and perfect example of greed and corruption above any sense of morals or ethics, an absolute disgrace and failure of so called professionals on so many levels to let this crisis get to where it is today. Like the town with about 800 citizens where the local doctor dished out 10s of thousands of prescriptions in a year or so. Truely eye opening.
Id rather the kids be on coke or ditch weed here any day , rather than that shit up in the EEUU
I knew a pharmacist in downtown Victoria, BC, which is the seat of the provincial government. He'd easily sell 300 doses of methadone before lunchtime, and that was like 10 years ago. Most buyers were well-dressed government office bees that you'd never suspect. And it was paid for by the government. They even started finding traces of that shit in the sea water along the coast. Wild caught BC salmon anyone?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:25 pm

That is the deaths in the U.S. from drug overdose, last 12 months, through march 2018.

Somewhere I seen a recent stat that overdose has surpassed car accidents for leading cause of death in the United States (and probably some big portion of those are drug related too).

That is more people than were killed by the atomic bomb over Nagasaki.

And Chile has a drug problem?

Please......

And really, it is simple economics. The vast majority of the drugs produced in South America, are exported north. It is no different than why I can not get a good cup of coffee in Chile. It is where the market is at.