Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Aymen

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by Aymen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Saudi is not famous in agriculture, they stop planting wheat and corn because importing it is much cheaper.

One of my plans was purchasing small farm and using my study in environmental science to make an environment farm, But i really doubt they will consider it as investment...

In Saudi now they mainly plant palm (dates), clover, and few fruits and vegetables.

Again, I'm very open to any idea or even partnership with current project... also, i've few Saudi investors who will be very interested in big projects in Chile and South America in case I show them a successful example of my project (I did that before in Indonesia, now they are investing tens of millions US$ there).

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Aymen wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 pm
Saudi is not famous in agriculture, they stop planting wheat and corn because importing it is much cheaper.

One of my plans was purchasing small farm and using my study in environmental science to make an environment farm, But i really doubt they will consider it as investment...

In Saudi now they mainly plant palm (dates), clover, and few fruits and vegetables.

Again, I'm very open to any idea or even partnership with current project... also, i've few Saudi investors who will be very interested in big projects in Chile and South America in case I show them a successful example of my project (I did that before in Indonesia, now they are investing tens of millions US$ there).
Yeah actually you are right they screwed it up too with regards to water use, maybe its Israel I am thinking of that can efficiently farm in the desert. I just remember seeing photos of thousands of green circles in a desert, the centre pivots, and yeah checking on Wiki I was right it was Saudi Arabia but this is what they said,
Saudi Arabia is suffering from a major depletion of the water in its underground aquifers and a resultant break down and disintegration of its agriculture as a consequence.[1][2] As a result of the catastrophe, Saudi Arabia has bought agricultural land in the United States.[3][4][5] Argentina,[6] and Africa[7][8][9][10][11] Saudi Arabia ranked as a major buyer of agricultural land in foreign countries.
My bad, I just figured they knew what they were doing with water if they could do that in the desert, turns out like a lot of things in life for everyone, they didnt, ah well you learn something new everyday. By the way, I see Qatar is now milking thousands of cows in the desert too, since they had a blockade put in place, so they are pretty much good now for dairy. Ill keep thinking of other ideas.
Will keep learning too I hope.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Aymen wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:04 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:22 am
Yes, we have some immigrants from the US/UK working in the universities here. There are also Concepción and Talca to check for teaching jobs because they have strong universities.
How much the teacher take per course (for example 8 hours/week for 4 weeks)?
No idea, sorry.

Aymen

Post by Aymen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:54 pm

[/quote]

Yeah actually you are right they screwed it up too with regards to water use, maybe its Israel I am thinking of that can efficiently farm in the desert. I just remember seeing photos of thousands of green circles in a desert, the centre pivots, and yeah checking on Wiki I was right it was Saudi Arabia but this is what they said,
Saudi Arabia is suffering from a major depletion of the water in its underground aquifers and a resultant break down and disintegration of its agriculture as a consequence.[1][2] As a result of the catastrophe, Saudi Arabia has bought agricultural land in the United States.[3][4][5] Argentina,[6] and Africa[7][8][9][10][11] Saudi Arabia ranked as a major buyer of agricultural land in foreign countries.
My bad, I just figured they knew what they were doing with water if they could do that in the desert, turns out like a lot of things in life for everyone, they didnt, ah well you learn something new everyday. By the way, I see Qatar is now milking thousands of cows in the desert too, since they had a blockade put in place, so they are pretty much good now for dairy. Ill keep thinking of other ideas.
[/quote]

The circles are found here everywhere but its only used for Clover mostly.. but the irrigation system is good and working on electricity, and not complicated... if that system is not found in Chile, then maybe it will work... question... is water available in Chile or no??

Qatar imported milk from Turkey now, and their production is not that large, and remember Qatar has small population and alooot of money :)

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Aymen wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:54 pm
[/quote]

The circles are found here everywhere but its only used for Clover mostly.. but the irrigation system is good and working on electricity, and not complicated... if that system is not found in Chile, then maybe it will work... question... is water available in Chile or no??

Qatar imported milk from Turkey now, and their production is not that large, and remember Qatar has small population and alooot of money :)
[/quote]
}
Yes, fascinating how things play out, you are right it does not have a huge population, Iwas just reading a few things about it over the last few weeks as today is the one year aniversary, Turkey has been a big supporter it seems, but the ironic thing is the blockade instead of hurting them has forced Qatar to make new aliances and become more self sufficient. I mean I know you can do a lot with money but to build a dairy of thousands of cows and have it producing in less than a year is still impresive.
Back to Chile, depends on where you are in Chie, water is avaliable, but is badly allocated and distributed and the whole system needs an overhaul.
Anyway back to Chile
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Aymen

Post by Aymen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 pm

let back to Chile...

I'm planning to visit most or all Chile's main regions during my 2 months visit and i'll try to meet any business consultant firm who can advice me about different kinds of projects or even small farms that I can purchase or be partner with its owner... I'm not planning to invest big amount of money now... may be small-medium project just to know the culture and the business to provide good business case to my partners. then when they come to invest in Chile i'll add my money with them.... its always good to put your money with big people...they rarely lose.. :)

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:36 am

I found your question interesting and some of the answers too.
It is true that Chileans are not too keen on trying new foods. However, more and more middle class Chileans travel abroad and come back with new tastes. I would not say they become foodies all the sudden but there is a certain "proto-foodie" trend (I think mainly thai sort of food and indian but without spices... you will find a lot on this forum on Chileans and spices...)

Dates are not popular at all. But, increasingly popular tendencies are:
-gluten free stuff (quite expensive in Chile and the offer still quite poor)
-vegan stuff or veggie friendly
-protein stuff
-organic stuff

I think your dates qualify for all. But I also think perhaps you would have a chance if you introduce them in a more processed fashion, or simply if you market to those people.

Regarding perfumes I think it could be a very good idea. People definetily like perfumes, and it is very common for lower middle class for example, to buy cheap perfumes.
I remember seeing in an area called Patronato (where the enterpreneurs are mainly immigrants from Asia and Middle East), there are stores exclusively dedicated to imitation perfumes.

I am interested in following, how you end up managing in Chile. I hope you keep posting

Good luck

Aymen

Post by Aymen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am

rocksana wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:36 am
I found your question interesting and some of the answers too.
It is true that Chileans are not too keen on trying new foods. However, more and more middle class Chileans travel abroad and come back with new tastes. I would not say they become foodies all the sudden but there is a certain "proto-foodie" trend (I think mainly thai sort of food and indian but without spices... you will find a lot on this forum on Chileans and spices...)

Dates are not popular at all. But, increasingly popular tendencies are:
-gluten free stuff (quite expensive in Chile and the offer still quite poor)
-vegan stuff or veggie friendly
-protein stuff
-organic stuff

I think your dates qualify for all. But I also think perhaps you would have a chance if you introduce them in a more processed fashion, or simply if you market to those people.

Regarding perfumes I think it could be a very good idea. People definetily like perfumes, and it is very common for lower middle class for example, to buy cheap perfumes.
I remember seeing in an area called Patronato (where the enterpreneurs are mainly immigrants from Asia and Middle East), there are stores exclusively dedicated to imitation perfumes.

I am interested in following, how you end up managing in Chile. I hope you keep posting

Good luck
Thank you so much for your reply...

You gave me a different point of view to look to the things... which is typical market... it collects everything and the smart businessman should target the best category.

I'll continue posting as much as I can to get more knowledge... and I hope I can meet few of you in Chile in person :)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:23 pm

I think it's not traveling but the Internet because people in their 20-30s are open-minded to all kind of experiences even if they are not doing well enough to travel.

Our small city has a Cambrian explosion of the food culture. You can buy a damn ramen from a truck near the main square. The Thai restaurant here is always busy and has been popular for years in spite of the "Chileans don't like spicy food" meme.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Sushi? raw fish! No way..that was said from the Chileans afraid to try new food a long time ago. But look now, every flaite saying, you don't know about Sushi? Oh Hombre you're living in the cave age, try it you will like it, be cool!..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Aymen

Post by Aymen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:27 pm

if Food trucks are everywhere... what about the quality of food?

i.e. is the middle class and lower class (who want to imitate the rich people) will pay more for fancier food or food that presented in fancy way?

your thoughts???

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Chilean sushi, as much as I've tried to come at it ain't Japanese sushi. Apart from the seaweed wrap and rice the combinations have been modified to local tastes and beyond that further bastardised into a local chef's "creations". If it sells, ok for the locals if they like it but I've yet to find the traditional Jap accompaniment, wasabi sauce.
Reminds me of when I was working in France, you never get a bad meal in France but after 6 months I was absolutely hanging out for something Asian spicy. The French were in Vietnam so figured there had to be Vietnamese restaurants around and there were, but I was warned. The Viet restaurants it turned out had modified everything to French tastes. So the number of Vietnamese immigrants never got to the critical mass needed to sustain its own tastes in food or indeed win sufficient numbers of French patrons over to their authentic food.