Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
User avatar
David_Bro
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Chileans just don't buy like they do in other places------I wish i could put my finger on it exactly----its comes to necessity at the first point----rarely would a Chilean buy something in the marketplace that they do not directly need or that would not show in the street a social status that puts them above and beyond anyone they are close to and wanting to impress------there is a social strata that is much like the England of old or even India and we know it today-------It was back in the day Chileans would have "Cellular de Palo" which was basically a fake cell phone they could walk around as if they could afford a cell phone------maybe five years ago I was in a market in the south waiting in line and there were maybe 6 or 7 twenty somethings in line ahead of me with the goods for a party----wine, pisco, hamburger, longaniza and beer with chips i think----so bill comes out to something 27,000 pesos, which would have been about $14 USD or so and none of them had the cash and they had to put small amounts to cover it all on there debit cards-----this was a mid-range group of well dressed santiago kids on vacation in the south and they were commenting on how they were all maxed out on their cards with no money and yet it was December 28th or so at the start of summer ------NOT GOOD------Chile is a VERY tough market for business so just keep it in mind and spend some time seeing how it is before you throw open the doors to something-----

###

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7268
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 pm

I would say mercadolibre.cl would be a good test and experience if OP wants to sell something. Then formalize and expand if people actually buy depending on the "competition".
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7268
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Given the spendtrhrift ways of Chileans of the lower to pretend to be upper class indebted middle class, you will want to accept department store credit cards and quota payments in your "business".
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by paladin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Aymen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm
Thank you Paladin,

Please, how much is price for 1 kilo?

I pay $9600 without stones from a tostaduria. I would doubt you would sell enough, regardless of the price, to make it worthwhile. My wife’s family is Chilean, and I cant even get them to try one ! They really are not ones for trying something new. I think once you’ve spent a few months here, you’ll understand many unusual things about Chileans.

Aymen
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by Aymen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:57 am

David_Bro wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:59 pm
Chileans just don't buy like they do in other places------I wish i could put my finger on it exactly----its comes to necessity at the first point----rarely would a Chilean buy something in the marketplace that they do not directly need or that would not show in the street a social status that puts them above and beyond anyone they are close to and wanting to impress------there is a social strata that is much like the England of old or even India and we know it today-------It was back in the day Chileans would have "Cellular de Palo" which was basically a fake cell phone they could walk around as if they could afford a cell phone------maybe five years ago I was in a market in the south waiting in line and there were maybe 6 or 7 twenty somethings in line ahead of me with the goods for a party----wine, pisco, hamburger, longaniza and beer with chips i think----so bill comes out to something 27,000 pesos, which would have been about $14 USD or so and none of them had the cash and they had to put small amounts to cover it all on there debit cards-----this was a mid-range group of well dressed santiago kids on vacation in the south and they were commenting on how they were all maxed out on their cards with no money and yet it was December 28th or so at the start of summer ------NOT GOOD------Chile is a VERY tough market for business so just keep it in mind and spend some time seeing how it is before you throw open the doors to something-----

###
What you described about Chile, is almost identical about Saudi Arabia in 80s and 90s toward any USA invention or trend. Now they are more open to other cultures, but USA culture effects still the strongest.

That changes the perspective of starting a business, may be I should consider something "American".

I think my exclusive deal with American institutes and the consulting firm, to present them in Chile, in addition to bringing teachers from USA for English courses will be good idea.

What do you think?

Aymen
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by Aymen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:00 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 pm
I would say mercadolibre.cl would be a good test and experience if OP wants to sell something. Then formalize and expand if people actually buy depending on the "competition".
Very nice advice, is this site the main E-market in Chile??

Aymen
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by Aymen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:02 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:33 pm
Given the spendtrhrift ways of Chileans of the lower to pretend to be upper class indebted middle class, you will want to accept department store credit cards and quota payments in your "business".
This is another important note (about the spendthrift).. may be a good point to care about when someone start doing a business and market his and others.


Thank you again

Aymen
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by Aymen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:03 pm

paladin wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 pm
Aymen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm
Thank you Paladin,

Please, how much is price for 1 kilo?

I pay $9600 without stones from a tostaduria. I would doubt you would sell enough, regardless of the price, to make it worthwhile. My wife’s family is Chilean, and I cant even get them to try one ! They really are not ones for trying something new. I think once you’ve spent a few months here, you’ll understand many unusual things about Chileans.
I think I will not go with importing goods if what you all saying here turns to be the most common in Chile (after I visit it), I think i'll go with training and consulting firm + teaching English.

41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:48 pm

I think your eyes will be opened wide when you come here, and may need more than a couple of months to see the idosyncratic ways of Chileans. David_bro make some very good points too regarding Chileans and their behaviour.
Theres even a song about it called "la funa"

Pide dinero prestado
Vive asustado
Lleno de deudas y de apariencias
Llena el carrito y no compra nada
Llama de madrugada medio curado
Por el encargo que le han robado
Y de la plata mejor ni hablar
Paso que se funó, se endeudo,vacunó
Paso que no entendio, se perdio, cooperó
Paso que se funó, se endeudo,vacunó
Paso que no entendio, se pérdio, cooperó
Sueña ser parte de las columnas sociales
Tiene mas deudas que el tercer mundo
Pero es porfiado y quiere posar-vive todo el día
Aparentando ante los vecinos
Colegio caro, vida postiza
Vive lo absurdo con celular.
Repite coro
El que lo entiende pide a jah que lo ilumine
Pide a los santos que le muestren el camino
Bombo caja bajo mi desconsuelo una guitarra
Sigue la musica y aqui no pasa nada.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by paladin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Aymen wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:03 pm
paladin wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 pm
Aymen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm
Thank you Paladin,

Please, how much is price for 1 kilo?

I pay $9600 without stones from a tostaduria. I would doubt you would sell enough, regardless of the price, to make it worthwhile. My wife’s family is Chilean, and I cant even get them to try one ! They really are not ones for trying something new. I think once you’ve spent a few months here, you’ll understand many unusual things about Chileans.
I think I will not go with importing goods if what you all saying here turns to be the most common in Chile (after I visit it), I think i'll go with training and consulting firm + teaching English.
Please bear in mind that Chile, ie Santiago is swarming with English language institutes of all levels, and in the case of the larger ones that insist on native speakers, they do not need to import teachers, as there is already an excess of them . Similarly with all types of consulting firms, you would be up against the big players with internationally recognised reputations.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1320
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Sorry, but anyone with a good (and legal) idea for making money in this country would not air it on a public forum.
As soon as any interesting new opportunity appears, shoals of copycats spring up offering the same at a lower price.

Success here seems to usually involve a hefty initial capital outlay, and even that guarantees nothing, as there are many traps for the unwary.

I would check out what the Indians and Chinese get up to in Iquique, in the Zona Franca. They seem to operate outside the Chilean establishment.
Après moi, le déluge

Aymen
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Searching for best projects.. Opinions Please?

Post by Aymen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:03 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:48 pm
I think your eyes will be opened wide when you come here, and may need more than a couple of months to see the idosyncratic ways of Chileans. David_bro make some very good points too regarding Chileans and their behaviour.
Theres even a song about it called "la funa"

Pide dinero prestado
Vive asustado
Lleno de deudas y de apariencias
Llena el carrito y no compra nada
Llama de madrugada medio curado
Por el encargo que le han robado
Y de la plata mejor ni hablar
Paso que se funó, se endeudo,vacunó
Paso que no entendio, se perdio, cooperó
Paso que se funó, se endeudo,vacunó
Paso que no entendio, se pérdio, cooperó
Sueña ser parte de las columnas sociales
Tiene mas deudas que el tercer mundo
Pero es porfiado y quiere posar-vive todo el día
Aparentando ante los vecinos
Colegio caro, vida postiza
Vive lo absurdo con celular.
Repite coro
El que lo entiende pide a jah que lo ilumine
Pide a los santos que le muestren el camino
Bombo caja bajo mi desconsuelo una guitarra
Sigue la musica y aqui no pasa nada.
Really really Interesting... same what I noticed here when I arrived Saudi Arabia, except in Saudi people have money (most of them)...

But, on the other hand, that can be good from Business point of View :D

Post Reply