Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
41southchile

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by 41southchile » Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 pm

Hers something interesting related to previous few days discussion
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chil ... SKBN1I93C7
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 am

My view on lans recent low costs model change is that they were a crappy airline before in terms of sevice. Now at least they are pricing to match the service level.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Thu May 10, 2018 11:13 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 pm
Grr...i cant believe the former administration dropped all these suicide pills in the last few days of its tenure. Brilliant last administration...piss off the Chinese, making china pull back on copper investment.

I hope Pineras administration can undo this. China should be allowed to legally invest in both copper and lithium.

No superpower is perfect, and China has its flaws like any other, but I think China is the only superpower that can ally with Chile and there be a reasonable reciprocity that benefits both nations.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu May 10, 2018 2:58 pm

"No superpower is perfect, and China has its flaws like any other".

China is much worse than Europe/US/Japan, much worse than most countries. You can't just dismiss it like that. Of course, US etc have many serious problems and ethical issues in society, but not to the same level.

China is a country where you can't speak the truth (at least not on certain issues), there is no demcocracy, no free press, and the government controls everything, brainwashing the people (at least on certain issues). Its flaws are much more severe compared to most other serious/major countries. Just research Taiwan, Falun Gong, democracy, freedom of speech issues, punishment for dissidents. Not to mention men of only one ethnicity hold all of the power in an unelected way, corrupt country, lagging the world in animal rights, poisoning the tibetan plateua with nuclear waste, relations with the Dalai lama, constant local environmental issues, wealth disparity, oppression of simple local people trying to get involved in politics, the huge world-leading biometrics system they are building to spy on their own citizens anywhere anytime, the fact that they don't respect intellectual property, organ harvesting, political prisoners, torture and prison treatment, more capital punishment than the rest of the world put together, racist treatment towards minorities on and on go the immense littany of bad things about China.

I think part of the reason we turn a blind eye to China is that it at least keeps its problems fairly internal. Unlike countries like Russia and Iran which are a threat to their neighbours (or US which is a threat much further afield), China is probably not going to invade Mongolia or India. The very idea seems absurd. The convention is to keep your human rights abuses in your own country and don't bother others.

Perhaps that's the reason why we currently have severe sanctions on Iran coming out of Trump white house while China gets only a few much less severe trade taxes. Although Iran isn't ethically worse than China to its own citizens, it is destabilizing to the middle East, sending troops to Syria, perceived as a threat to Israel etc.

It's a shame that Western powers conduct their diplomacy based on their own natural security interests and keeping the peace, rather than broader ethical concerns. North Korea is even worse than China for human rights, yes this is largely ignored by US administrations that are more concerned about the nuclear threat, almost to the total exclusion of even speaking out about these abuses.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

mem

Post by mem » Thu May 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:58 pm
"No superpower is perfect, and China has its flaws like any other".

China is much worse than Europe/US/Japan, much worse than most countries. You can't just dismiss it like that. Of course, US etc have many serious problems and ethical issues in society, but not to the same level.

China is a country where you can't speak the truth (at least not on certain issues), there is no demcocracy, no free press, and the government controls everything, brainwashing the people (at least on certain issues). Its flaws are much more severe compared to most other serious/major countries. Just research Taiwan, Falun Gong, democracy, freedom of speech issues, punishment for dissidents. Not to mention men of only one ethnicity hold all of the power in an unelected way, corrupt country, lagging the world in animal rights, poisoning the tibetan plateua with nuclear waste, relations with the Dalai lama, constant local environmental issues, wealth disparity, oppression of simple local people trying to get involved in politics, the huge world-leading biometrics system they are building to spy on their own citizens anywhere anytime, the fact that they don't respect intellectual property, organ harvesting, political prisoners, torture and prison treatment, more capital punishment than the rest of the world put together, racist treatment towards minorities on and on go the immense littany of bad things about China.

I think part of the reason we turn a blind eye to China is that it at least keeps its problems fairly internal. Unlike countries like Russia and Iran which are a threat to their neighbours (or US which is a threat much further afield), China is probably not going to invade Mongolia or India. The very idea seems absurd. The convention is to keep your human rights abuses in your own country and don't bother others.

Perhaps that's the reason why we currently have severe sanctions on Iran coming out of Trump white house while China gets only a few much less severe trade taxes. Although Iran isn't ethically worse than China to its own citizens, it is destabilizing to the middle East, sending troops to Syria, perceived as a threat to Israel etc.

It's a shame that Western powers conduct their diplomacy based on their own natural security interests and keeping the peace, rather than broader ethical concerns. North Korea is even worse than China for human rights, yes this is largely ignored by US administrations that are more concerned about the nuclear threat, almost to the total exclusion of even speaking out about these abuses.
I don't disagree, China has all the problems you indicate. To live there as a citizen or resident would be terrible.

I am just talking about as a trade partner and/or ally and in terms of the few super powers in the world, China seems to be the best (in terms of trade) for Chile to ally with, again only in terms of trade, because of the mutually beneficial export and import markets between Chile and China as well as the shipping lane proximity. When I was referencing the flaws of China, I was again only speaking in terms of trade...(products that are not made to last always, contaminants in the produce or plastic, etc.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 10, 2018 5:13 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 pm
I have a little bit of stock in sqm, and it was worth it just for all the melodrama that seems to constantly surround sqm. You would think watching water evorate in a dessert would be about as dull as a company could get.

Yea that is just the chinese angling for the biggest chunk of the lithium suppply they can corner. That has been going back forth for a year at least since potash, now nutrino, said they would sell their stake in sqm. Which was ordered by chinese regulators, so they could merge with another fertilizer company.

Personally i dont think lithium is that stratgic beyond the fact that sqm is the lowest cost producer in the world. I could really care less about who buys up the sqm stake, as long as the price is right.

My bigger concern is there was definetly shady stuff going on with former head of corfo bitran. He had almost a freaky obsession with punishing sqm, just to turn around and triplle their lithium rights, handing them one of largest and lowest cost lithium plays on the planet just before leaving office and settling law suit with them for a song. Bitran was in someone pocket.

But hey, nice to see chile has the worlds attention on the lithium front, and it is only going to get mpre desperate as argentina omplodes and takes out all the baby lithium explorers. Stupid stock chearleaders have been pushing argentina for the last couple of years. I knew that was going to end badly.

An imploding argentina is probably worth a good 30% more on the price of lithium over the next few years as the little guys fold up and go home.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu May 10, 2018 11:03 pm

The only thing that will moderate the BS going around the lithium exploration and development plays is to set up a futures market for lithium.........Chile could do it and the world would follow........

Come on Chile lead for a change......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 11, 2018 9:56 am

nwdiver wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:03 pm
The only thing that will moderate the BS going around the lithium exploration and development plays is to set up a futures market for lithium.........Chile could do it and the world would follow........

Come on Chile lead for a change......

Yea i am hanging on to my sqm stake exactly untill they open a futures market. Lots of talk of one perhaps in london. Right now there is this whole guessing game apbout who is paying what for lithium, that seems to be in some range of plus or minus about $10,000 a ton; but, even then we are not sure what any buyer paid due to the off take agreements being mostly being private contracts. Quite the wild west.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 am

Well back to argentina.

Economic chaose as usual, and argentina thanks the IMF for their donation to it:

http://time.com/5272911/argentina-macri ... d-economy/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 11, 2018 2:18 pm

The Fmi, says chile's central bank is the most predictable and crediable in the region due high levels of transparency.

https://www.df.cl/noticias/internaciona ... 94552.html

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 11, 2018 2:40 pm

That probably is the key diffrence between chile, and well, just about every single emerging market: transparency.

Yea we get a lot of bitching from critics about this or that thing lacking transparency, but in the rest of latin america there is so much backroom and front room corruption, you can not even see the forest through all the trees.

Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries in the region, and that is quite an acomplishment given the neighborhood. No amount of fmi loans will fix that, and until they fix it, their economy will cycle on and off as those that pocket the spoils make the most of it in the chaose.

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Fri May 11, 2018 8:41 pm

mem wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I am just talking about as a trade partner and/or ally and in terms of the few super powers in the world, China seems to be the best (in terms of trade) for Chile to ally with...
You should read the terms China imposed on Venezuela in their "loans."

According to the China University of Petroleum, Beijing -- a government think-tank for policy -- the pay back is based on a fixed reference price of oil. When the price is higher, the same number of barrels is owed; when the price is lower, the same money is owed. A guaranteed lose-lose for Vz. Of course most of the money was not transferred, but remained as a credit (but still owed regardless of delivery) in China to buy Chinese goods and services at jacked-up prices. So lose-lose-lose for Vz. And, China knew the Cuban enchufados would steal most of the cash, so lose-lose-lose-lose for the Venezuelan el pueblo.

How's that high speed rail system coming along?

So let me be blunt: Chile and Chilean businesses should stay as far away from China and Chinese businesses as possible.