Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
nwdiver

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by nwdiver » Tue May 08, 2018 4:01 am

at46 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 am
bert.douglas wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:35 pm
Even Chinese companies are setting up production inside the US. Foxconn is building a $200 billion factory near Racine Wisconsin.
This here says it's a $10 billion investment https://patch.com/wisconsin/mountpleasa ... st-company

You buy the state for 200 billion.........
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 08, 2018 9:48 am

Yea, give them muerto montt. That will fix the chinese.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 am

and they are talking a 5 to 6% growth for april.

Amazing what happens when the goverment stops shooting the economy in the foot at every press conference with idelogical bullshit. Pinera and crowd really has not even done anything yet; and that is probably what is goosing the economy more than anything. Shutting up and staying out of the way is its own form of economic stimelus.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am

at46 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:06 am
Britkid wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:47 pm
I personally probably would not make a major purchase of an item from a China headquartered company right now. For example a car, a smart phone, something like that.
GM sells more autos in China than elsewhere, even though it's headquartered in the US. Would you buy a Chevy? How about an iphone? You know that it's made in China and that Apple derives a great portion of its revenue from China. Is an iphone an ethical enough product, in your opinion? How about garlic? Most garlic you consume in Chile comes from China. Where do you draw the line?
I think Western manufacturers building in China are ethically better than China HQ companies because at least some of the profits stay out of China, Apple is not likely as controlled by the Chinese government, and may even have some positive influence there.

I think Apple is mediocre ethically but still slightly more ethical than the other smart phones makers. Its headquarters is 100% renewable energy (or so claimed).

Here's another example:

LONDON (Reuters) - Apple is leading the way in tracing cobalt used in its electronics to ensure the metal has not been mined by children in Democratic Republic of Congo, Amnesty International said.
“Apple became the first company to publish the names of its cobalt suppliers ... but other electronics brands have made alarmingly little progress,” the statement said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-meta ... SKBN1DF045

Apple is not doing a lot on Congo child labour, but it's at least better than the response (or lack of) from Samsung and the Chinese. (Most smart phones sold globally are either Apple, Samsung, or Chinese.)

I did buy a second-hand iphone5 this year for my daughter. If I was rich,I would buy a new one (iPhone X) for my wife and daughter. For myself, I would not buy one, for ethical and other reasons. I find a good ethical choice is sometimes to buy second hand or take someone's hand me down or not buy these products at all (also a good environmental choice). As far as I can remember, I have never bought a smart phone. I sometimes get bought one as a present by someone taking pity on me.

Ethically speaking a Chevy manfuactured in China is probably better than one from a China company, but worse than one built/assembled in most other places - in my opinion. Of course,I could be wrong. I would not buy a Chevy assembled in China unless my wife really wanted it.

I don't usually consider ethical factors when I walk into a shop to buy something low cost. That is where I draw the line. For expensive or frequent purchases, perhaps consider ethical factors. For inexpensive, one-off purchases, perhaps don't. I would not consider ethical factors when buying garlic, unless I happen to have heard about something in the news.

The fact that you can never address every concern, and that trying to lead an ethical lifestyle without hypocrisies and contradictions is difficult, and that some arguments could be wrong should not in my view mean we just throw up our hands and take no actions at all and just support any dictactor.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Well, first chevy and just about every American car are pieces of shit, and have been for decades. I look at those ford raptors and mustangs, and think wooo, cool. I always wanted a mustang. then my next thought, too bad their American made. I see all these guys in Chile putting raptor like stickers on their toyota hilux pickups. They like the look. they just dont want the problems that go with them.

So the ethics of screwing over your customers, and especially customers in the developing countries (some of the lowest safety ratings in latin america, some of the most unreliable in latin america, not honoring their warranties, etc), aside, we still have the problem of american cars made by American corporations that have been getting bailouts and government subsidies for decades. the American auto industry is one of the dirtiest on the planet (the airline industry is probably a close contender), both literally and figuratively. if they were not so politically connected, the markets would have put those companies down for good back in the late 70ś or 80s.

bert.douglas

Post by bert.douglas » Tue May 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Britkid wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am
... I would not consider ethical factors when buying garlic ...
I don't trust any food from china. I have read too many stories of unsafe additives and practices.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Of course, everyone in the know knows to buy the purple tinged Chile grown garlic at the feria or verdaluria.

Watch out for the shrimp at Lider, all China origin. Watch out for the canned jurel, some brands constatnly change origin shifting from Chile to China and back. If I need decent sized shrimp, I buy Ecuadorian from Tottus.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 am

Yea never buy fpod made in china. It is all contaminated in some way.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 am

Funny i am listening to latam airlines Q1 2018 conference call.

Almost all the questions are stock aynalyst trying to read the tea leaves about the latan american economies, especially argentina, via lans loads. They really dont seem to interested in latam's own buisness except as some sort of a cannarry in the coal mine.

By the way, their biz in argentina dropped 16% last quarter. Argentina was in trouble long before this latest currency crisis. All the rest of the countries were up, both in terms of cargo and passengers.

Which to me signals argentina has way bigger issues than are currently public going on. Stand by for a fake revision of some fake numbers out of argentina. They always try to put lip stick on the pig for as long as possible, before it finally comes out that someone already ate the pig.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed May 09, 2018 12:27 pm

LATAM - from the former LAN employee perspective, been downhill with massive layoffs and other problems ever since the merger with TAM, not to mention new ugly uniforms. From a passenger perspective, 6 month delays in processing simple refunds; the move to low cost model on domestic. My recent experience, both coming and going to LAX, planes emptier (not maxed out crowded full) than in past years.

So typical disconnect of Wall Street (investors and visible stock market) vs. Main Street (the employees and users of the product and service).

I also see this after talking to a multi-decade employee of an Imperial MIC corp in SoCal, the disconnect between internal reality vs. stock price and performance.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

proger

Post by proger » Wed May 09, 2018 2:45 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:27 pm
LATAM - from the former LAN employee perspective, been downhill with massive layoffs and other problems ever since the merger with TAM, not to mention new ugly uniforms. From a passenger perspective, 6 month delays in processing simple refunds; the move to low cost model on domestic. My recent experience, both coming and going to LAX, planes emptier (not maxed out crowded full) than in past years.

So typical disconnect of Wall Street (investors and visible stock market) vs. Main Street (the employees and users of the product and service).

I also see this after talking to a multi-decade employee of an Imperial MIC corp in SoCal, the disconnect between internal reality vs. stock price and performance.
been in a few latam flights recently and everything was ok... the uniforms are truly horrible tough

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed May 09, 2018 6:26 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:27 pm

8/5/18
Yeah they continue to go downhill, they were an OK airline before the merger but now just seem to bordering on terrible. Only fly on them as it's easier to get to NZ, seems the cabin crew are showing some of the stresses too, in my opinion, watching them around the plane around me they seem grumpier and not as friendly as the past, when at least they had a smile, the whole thing seems jaded, the in-flight entertainment system is average,their new meals were ho hum nothing special. Maybe it's the boom of travellers putting pressure on them or maybe joining 2 South American Airlines with different cultures was just asking for trouble.

22/5/18

What a difference 2 weeks makes, service was a lot better today, in fact really good . The meals were good too, flying back to Chile, that new international airport in
Santiago can't come soon enough though. Here's hoping they finally get rid of those shady taxi drivers and the smell of smokers that wafts in from the front door where you come out, what a lovely welcome to Chile that is . Let's hope they do something cool in the new arrivals area.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.