Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:08 pm

So Piñera y Bolsa will talk about a free trade agreement and a bi-oceanic corridor.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:08 pm
So Piñera y Bolsa will talk about a free trade agreement and a bi-oceanic corridor.
That's good, for some reason I thought Brazil was a bigger market for Chile's goods, they come in at 5th taking approx 5 % of Chile's exports. Hopefully they will grow that, they are probably over represented in some industries, they take a lot of Salmon, bring the trucks over to Santiago with meat, off load, drive to Puerto Montt fill up with Salmon and then head back to Brazil.
Is that the bi-oceanic corridor that will come out in Coquimbo?
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm
Is that the bi-oceanic corridor that will come out in Coquimbo?
Hope not, Túnel de Agua Negra is an ecological disaster in the making, not the tunnel itself, but the rest of the Elqui Valley, through which will transit some 700 trucks a day loaded with Soya destined for China.
Chile seems to have been blowing hot and cold on this tunnel recently, Costs Vs Benefits I guess.
The Argentinians are naturally very keen on the idea, but it will ruin the Elqui valley if it happens.

Its interesting to see how strangely silent the renta-greenies are on an issue that will affect the whole of this region, compared to the massive fuss they made, (and are still making) over the Dominga project.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 am

he said he wanted to makethe prosecutor that broke the car wash scandal attorney general.

but, like all things in latin american politics, what happens in practice can be very, very diffrent.

i think pinera risks alinating that fragil support he is enjoying from the dissilusioned center left, that has been providing him sufficient suppprt to keep the far left in check and mostly quiet. if the far left can say, 'we told you he was a fascist pig, look at who he is buddies with'.

the other bit of news i seen go by was talk out of colombia of them partnering with brazil to do something about maduro. the chilean communist parties heads will explode if pinera even gives tacit support to such an idea, let alone participates in some way.

although i am a little concerned the u.s. is telling latin leaders behind the scenes, "you do something, or we will".

which on some level, i believe something does need to be done about maduro; i am just afraid a half baked, half supported plan, would make venezuela even worse in a 'you break it, you buy it' sort of way that latin countries will not be able to carry through with a coherent multi-lateral plan for a post-maduro venezuela. they hardly holding their own countries together. a completly failed state in venezuela, that is already pretty mad max, could destabilize the entire neighborhood.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:52 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:21 am
Bolsonaro won due to him running against the PT guy in the second run: he would've list in all other scenarios. I'll post a more detailed breakdown later today, as well as some notes about his plans for regional politics.
So Bolsanaro is promising to the masses that he won't be accepting any sorts of "bribes" from the internationals, Ha! No "regalos" to the poh classes either, and he has well educated his offspring that they would never dates the "Pretos". Then his political only beneficiaries are the Military personnel's and the middle class, the rest can starve to death.. I wanting to find out how he intends to re-develop this mammouth country that with the right governance, it can really become an international powerhouse!
Things are quite messy back in Brazil right now. Bolsonaro has shown multiple times that he can and will change his behavior to suit whatever gives him the best shot at getting to the top, so no one is exactly sure about what he's going to do.

He has a liberal economist as his Treasury Secretary and the secretary really wants to tackle the main financial issues right away, so he has at least that going for him. Bolsonaro has said multiple times that he has no say in economy himself and that he will leave it to the pros, which is why the financial market has supported him. I really hope they can pass these financial reforms, as they would be really good in the long term.

FYI, his economist is the one that has instructed him to get closer to Piñera. He was a BFF of the economists that made the economic reforms in Chile during Pinochet's rule (AFP, Fonasa etc) and he sees Chile as an example to be followed. His name is Paulo Guedes, in case anyone wants to read more about him.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:37 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:52 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:21 am
Bolsonaro won due to him running against the PT guy in the second run: he would've list in all other scenarios. I'll post a more detailed breakdown later today, as well as some notes about his plans for regional politics.
So Bolsanaro is promising to the masses that he won't be accepting any sorts of "bribes" from the internationals, Ha! No "regalos" to the poh classes either, and he has well educated his offspring that they would never dates the "Pretos". Then his political only beneficiaries are the Military personnel's and the middle class, the rest can starve to death.. I wanting to find out how he intends to re-develop this mammouth country that with the right governance, it can really become an international powerhouse!
Things are quite messy back in Brazil right now. Bolsonaro has shown multiple times that he can and will change his behavior to suit whatever gives him the best shot at getting to the top, so no one is exactly sure about what he's going to do.

He has a liberal economist as his Treasury Secretary and the secretary really wants to tackle the main financial issues right away, so he has at least that going for him. Bolsonaro has said multiple times that he has no say in economy himself and that he will leave it to the pros, which is why the financial market has supported him. I really hope they can pass these financial reforms, as they would be really good in the long term.

FYI, his economist is the one that has instructed him to get closer to Piñera. He was a BFF of the economists that made the economic reforms in Chile during Pinochet's rule (AFP, Fonasa etc) and he sees Chile as an example to be followed. His name is Paulo Guedes, in case anyone wants to read more about him.
As the economist said The Chicago boys experiment in Chile was like major surgery without anesthetic.
The neo libs have failed, there needs to be a solution that provides economic freedom without all the bullshit and a movement that is not like the extreme right and all their bullshit regarding social issues.
I look to the classics for inspiration Adam Smith, John Stewat Mill etc.
There are other issues to deal with regarding modern capitalism, not everyone can cope with compete economic freedoms and there are always those those that take advantage of those less fortunate.
Where is that movement in Chile?
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 pm

yea people tend to fail to understand that adam smith was closer to marx than say milton freeman in terms of warning about uncontroled capitilism and the dangers of over looking social issues and inherent inequality that goes with it. smith was suprisingly pro-goverment intervention to level the playing field and very pro-regulation; but most people only know the invisible hand sound bite and assume that is skmehow the same as him being 'hands off'.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:24 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 pm
yea people tend to fail to understand that adam smith was closer to marx than say milton freeman in terms of warning about uncontroled capitilism and the dangers of over looking social issues and inherent inequality that goes with it. smith was suprisingly pro-goverment intervention to level the playing field and very pro-regulation; but most people only know the invisible hand sound bite and assume that is skmehow the same as him being 'hands off'.
So much of his stuff is misunderstood, the invisible hand for example, appropriated by the neolibs , all ideas taken out of context. The bolsanaro crew would do well to read the theory of moral sentiments, Smith's original work, rather than practicing some outdated Chilean ideas from the 70s that are going out of fashion everywhere. We need to get back to the originals and what they spoke of, not the Johnny come latelys Chicago chicos, and their failed interpretations, they are the cause of many if the worlds ills today. All this stuff thats happening now everywhere was predicted by Smith over 200 years ago.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:44 am

a few months back i down loaded the wealth of nations, to give it another read. i read it years ago, but i realy was not in to economics at the time and my views on a lot of things have changed.

i have realized you realy got to put it in its historical context to appreciate what a groundbreaking work it was.

western thought was realy just starting to grapple with what it was to be human, an individual, a society, ethics, etc. des cartes, david hume to kant were all dealing with the existential, metaphysical vs. impericism split in philosophy, that would in many ways lead Marx down the road he went with his thoughts. in art, and thought, the naturalist were rising in both the east (eastern europe) and the west (america). you see it in the topics and subjects of everyone from jack london to mark twain, to the impressionist, and issues of equality and human rights. realism was setting in, because what was dealt with prior to say the 17th century, tended not to square with people's reality. it was often flashy happy, almost cartoonish type art that the elite wished topush to the masses.

the most devestating, literaly literal, revolutionary was the printing press. now more than just the rich elites could exchange information and ideas across the world. they lost control of the message to the unwashed masses.

rather sounds like a time we all know.

The rulling class was freaking out, as we had revolution and civil war everywhere. the right of man to the bill of rights, were all attempts to deal with the popular uprisings that were happening. you can follow the fallen dominoes from the issues that smith was dealing with right through to the u.s. civil war, the russion revolution, the great depression, wwll, the cold war, and whatever the hell you want to call what is going on now.

this is just the latest stage of that process. that humanistic awaking. only now, instead of a few 10's of million unhappy disenfranchized europeans and americans, we have billions of people joining that party as the internet has all but assured the ruling class has lost control of the message.

thus, the attempts by the elite to regain control of it has gotten ever more desperate, and i believe, will ultimatly be far more bruttle in the supression of the free exchange of ideas and information.

The biggest mistake, or at least most recent error, of the ruling class was the post-wwll, cold war, baby boom in america. For a brief few decades, in an attempt to one-up russia and china, the west flaunted the wealth and lofestyle of the american and european "poor" and new middle class to everyone else in the world.

The rest of the world wants it too. the problem was it was all political propoganda. perhaps the most complex in history so far.

the "american dream" turned out to be exactly what it claimed to be: a dream. the lifestyle is fully so resource intensive to maintain, not even america can afford it; let alone provide it for billions of people in developing countries around the world.

The world today is like a bunch of 18 year olds that just got their first credit cards, and then they all go on some crazy out of control shopping trip to see who can look the richest.

Guess what? That credit card bill, that the world has been shuffling from card to card for over 400 years, is about to come due.

i am afraid it is going to make the dark ages, well, look rather enlightened; as the power's that be panic and try to regain control of 'the message'.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am

o.k. just got back from argentina. we had not been there in about 6 years. just did the drive around, from osorno to futa, via bariloche and back. few quick observations.

first, super super cheap for the tourist right now.

there is economic activity. hardly some sort of economic waistland. just when you do find some strange distortion in the economy, it almost always traces back to the political situation.

i realized they have done almost nothing with infrastructure for nearly 20 years, and the roads and driving situation reflects it. totaly explains why the argentinans driving so slow in chile. if you drive in argentina over about 80 km an hour in a regular car, the roads will kill you. no lights at intersections in the towns. no signs at intersections. all the lines are worn off the roads, so forget driving at night. i even once had all 4 tires leave the road, with a mega pot hole.

it then occurred to me, the real national debt of argentina is in the 100's of billions of dollars just to repair their crumbling infrastructure. never mind doing anything new. that 56 billion from the imf is just down payment on the skim, that the corruption racket is going to take. that is not even touching any of the social programs or pensions, etc.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:37 pm

interesting article on trumps "invasion", and how the numbers are realy not anything near as big as he wanys to make them out to be due demographic shifts in central america and mexico.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bd9 ... 7bfc162ce4

mem

Post by mem » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:31 pm

I read an interesting news story talking about how the elite take advantage of overpriced imports from Chile to Venezuela and then resell them for a profit. I couldn't even find any information that Chile is even trading with Venezuela.

However, I hope that Chile tries to get in on some Venezuelan oil. Prices just keep going up for bencina and diesel. Saw diesel over 700 clp yesterday

Venezuelas Petro crypto is now live, and they are pitching it to OPEC next week I think. I looked into it and there are 6 crypto exchanges in VZ that are buying/selling it. The only way to get Petro is to buy it with bitcoin, ethereum, or litecoin and a few fiats. I actually hope OPEC will play ball with them so that a lot of btc/eth/ltc will be needed to procure petros for real oil. It certainly seems fishy being VZ and all, but they do have a ton of oil. No doubt about that, and now they are trying to create their own petro-dollar except its petro-bitcoin which could drive fiat flowing into crypto for the purpose of getting VZ oil. Of course the US may intervene as they usually do for subverting US sanctions or the petrodollar...

I'd just like to see chile a bit more flush with oil. Argentina is helping, but I am sure VZ could help a lot more