Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 am

41southchile wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 pm
Well it's a done deal, Ponce's appeal failed. China have a decent share of, and will control the worlds three Largest lithium producers (supposedly they are just shareholders and won't have seats at the table in SQM, cough cough.sure whatever). Plus all the other Lithium mines in China . Well played China I guess.
Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles anyone? They seem a lot more viable than batteries , especially for large trucks.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... a-SQM.html
i dont think ponce is remotly done messing with the chinese.

he has, i believe about 30% direct controlling interest, plus lots of friends. he is also sitting on at least 200 million dollars he raised in one of holding companies that does nothing but hold sqm-a shares. he probably has more money avalible.

my guess is he does something to artificialy crash the sqm-a share price, then steps in with a cordinated attack to buy up a greater controling interest.

in fact, i got little bit of change on the sidelines in case it happens. my bet, and i need to go dig out the annuel report of the one of holding companies that is traded and have a look at what their loan convenent level is, but he will bring the price down on the shares to where he is flirting with defaulting on the bank loans used to buy sqm-a shares. his sqm-a shares are pledge as collateral against loans made by the holding companies. think he has to have something like 2x coverage of the share price to loan amount. so, probably he can take it to like 15,000 pesos or less a share and still be in good standing with the banks.

one way or other, he will go in their and dilute the chinese position, right off the board of directors.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:06 am

admin wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 am
41southchile wrote:
Well it's a done deal, Ponce's appeal failed. China have a decent share of, and will control the worlds three Largest lithium producers (supposedly they are just shareholders and won't have seats at the table in SQM, cough cough.sure whatever). Plus all the other Lithium mines in China . Well played China I guess.
Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles anyone? They seem a lot more viable than batteries , especially for large trucks.

he has, i believe about 30% direct controlling interest, plus lots of friends. he is also sitting on at least 200 million dollars he raised in one of holding companies that does nothing but hold sqm-a shares. he probably has more money avalible.

my guess is he does something to artificialy crash the sqm-a share price, then steps in with a cordinated attack to buy up a greater controling interest.

in fact, i got little bit of change on the sidelines in case it happens. my bet, and i need to go dig out the annuel report of the one of holding companies that is traded and have a look at what their loan convenent level is, but he will bring the price down on the shares to where he is flirting with defaulting on the bank loans used to buy sqm-a shares. his sqm-a shares are pledge as collateral against loans made by the holding companies. think he has to have something like 2x coverage of the share price to loan amount. so, probably he can take it to like 15,000 pesos or less a share and still be in good standing with the banks.

one way or other, he will go in their and dilute the chinese position, right off the board of directors.
Done deal, as in his legal avenues, or does he still have more options? Not well enough informed to know what he will do, only reading and hearing the stuff in the media . Well fair enough, but it's a brave man that take on the Chinese, unless you are trump I guess, (did I just call trump brave? Maybe just not as week as others)
If Ponce and his friends want to try and take on the financial power of the Chinese state then good luck to them. Why wouldn't the Chinese just cut him a deal ? I suppose he has that much money it's not about money for Ponce its about the fact a great deal of his life has involved SQM? Would that be right?
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:48 am

Here's an interesting article this morning, I think its kind of saying Bolsanaro could damage Piñeras aspirations as a leader in Latin America, if he starts going too hardcore, he will damage Piñeras reputation if Piñera cuddles up to him too much, but then if Bolsanaro strengthens Brazil and their power, Piñera maybe sidelined.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... onaro.html
Someone also describes Piñera as
un conservador, tradicional en temas religiosos, pero respeta la diversidad, y en ese sentido sí es ideológicamente liberal", explica.
So what does that make Piñera? A social liberal and conservative at the same time and an economic liberal with interventionist tendincies??🤔 Theres centerists and then there is just trying to have your cake and eat it trying to please everyone while achieving very little.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 am

41southchile wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:06 am
admin wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 am
41southchile wrote:

Done deal, as in his legal avenues, or does he still have more options? Not well enough informed to know what he will do, only reading and hearing the stuff in the media . Well fair enough, but it's a brave man that take on the Chinese, unless you are trump I guess, (did I just call trump brave? Maybe just not as week as others)
If Ponce and his friends want to try and take on the financial power of the Chinese state then good luck to them. Why wouldn't the Chinese just cut him a deal ? I suppose he has that much money it's not about money for Ponce its about the fact a great deal of his life has involved SQM? Would that be right?
I think Ponce play is more along the lines of extortion of the Chinese. The Chinese have to have it. If they want him to quit messing with their lithium expansion plans, then pony up a proper premium for his stake in SQM. They over paid about 1 billion dollars for that 24% stake.

This all still comes down to the Chinese need large steady supplies of lithium. Very, very few companies are producing it in mass currently. Lot's of empty holes in the ground, but very few real volume producers are online.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am

That was the other thing that came out in that court case. Ponce was in talks with tinaqui to sell his stake, and it seems they never got to a deal.

The chinese paid 4 billion for that 24% stake.

Let's say Ponce's holdings are then worth, 5 billion. He is probably shopping for a better price than that. I don't think he is too interested in becoming a minority shareholder in the company he built, so he is not going to for instance sell 5 or 10% to just give the Chinese controlling interest.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 am

so i have always said corruption in argentina is diffrent than the rest of latin america. i have seen the corruption all across latin america, but the corruption in argentina is not just quantitavitly diffrent, it is qualitatively diffrent.

what strikes me about it is not just systemic, not just a way to get by or get things done, it is part of the culture. i have seen argentinans sort of default in to lies, manipulation, or corruption in situations, when all other things being equal, the situation simply did not require it. like it has gone from being a means to an end (a tool for solving problems), to an end itself.

how diffrent?

well someone wrote a book on it. seems he agrees.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -fernandez

i am going to try and track down a copy. i realy want to read the book.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 am

so i have always said corruption in argentina is diffrent than the rest of latin america. i have seen the corruption all across latin america, but the corruption in argentina is not just quantitavitly diffrent, it is qualitatively diffrent.

what strikes me about it is not just systemic, not just a way to get by or get things done, it is part of the culture. i have seen argentinans sort of default in to lies, manipulation, or corruption in situations, when all other things being equal, the situation simply did not require it. like it has gone from being a means to an end (a tool for solving problems), to an end in itself.

how diffrent?

well someone wrote a book on it. seems he agrees.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -fernandez

i am going to try and track down a copy. i realy want to read the book.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:51 am

Alconada Mon called drug cartels posing as businesses, money laundering and buying the silence of the press as traditionally Argentine as mate and barbecues.
https://www.efe.com/efe/english/world/n ... 62-3757354#

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:58 am

The book topping Argentina’s bestseller list is not a thriller or a murder mystery. It’s a crime story of another sort: a blockbuster about political corruption that suggests that bribery has been an integral part of the country’s body politic. And neighbouring Uruguay was also described as the perfect Swiss laundry for most of the money that was swindled from Argentina.

As to Uruguay, no matter who’s president, the money laundering mechanism remains intact and ticking, Swiss efficiency. No matter who rules Uruguay, the corrupt Argentines love to hide their money in Uruguay, or use it as a stepping stone for moving further on, “the mechanism is designed to steal and ensure impunity”. All the major Argentine corruption cases in the last decades have involved crossing Uruguay, be it with the connivance, complicity or ineffectiveness of local officials.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:02 pm

when i was in uruguay last, you seen this skyline of apartments at night along the beaches. there would be perhaps half a dozen lights on. on the main freeway, you would not pass a single large truck, for hours.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:12 pm

uruguay, often gets great ranking at the top of the various development indexs along side chile.

it is all an illusion. if argentina or brazil ever got a handle on their corruption, or uruguay ever cracked down on the money laundering, the economy would colapse.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:08 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:48 am
Here's an interesting article this morning, I think its kind of saying Bolsanaro could damage Piñeras aspirations as a leader in Latin America, if he starts going too hardcore, he will damage Piñeras reputation if Piñera cuddles up to him too much, but then if Bolsanaro strengthens Brazil and their power, Piñera maybe sidelined.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... onaro.html
Someone also describes Piñera as
un conservador, tradicional en temas religiosos, pero respeta la diversidad, y en ese sentido sí es ideológicamente liberal", explica.
So what does that make Piñera? A social liberal and conservative at the same time and an economic liberal with interventionist tendincies??🤔 Theres centerists and then there is just trying to have your cake and eat it trying to please everyone while achieving very little.
It called small c conservative, or what in Canada was called progressive conservative, sort of centre right with a little libertarian thrown in..........it's also known as the "night watchman" conservative movement........
It's all about the wine.