Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
41southchile

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:46 am

Heres an interesting article, you can draw your own conclusions from, few things dont really make sense in this article to me, 6 generations for a family to get out of poverty in Chile??????? Its quite a simplistic article and is only partially complete with the stats they show, but it says

"The report, entitled 'A Decomposed Social Elevator? How To Promote Social Mobility?' shows the disparity between class income has grown over the last three decades: a "disturbing" revelation regarding nations and their social mobility."

Climbing out of poverty has nothing to do with the disparity between class income, does it ? I mean the rich have got richer, but so have a lot of poor families and are no longer considered to be living in poverty. How come the poverty rate in Chile has gone from like 40 percent in 1990 to like 18 percent today if it has got so bad in the last 30 years? yes we all know the rich have got richer, but so have a lot of middle class and so have a lot of poor people. Anyway ....

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/ ... -0019.html
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I had a simlar thought.

There are literally millions of chileans that are less than a generation out of poverty, let alone six or more generation. We make fun of the new rich in chile (because they have no taste), but those high rises in los condes are not being built for the old rich (they are kind of tasteless too). They already have an apartment in los condes, and a porsh and mercedes in the drive way.

Every time i see one of these bullshit poverty in chile articles, i want drag the author to an intersection in any major city in the country and ask them how much they think those cars going by on average cost. The rich can only drive one car at a time, and cars are not cheap in chile.

The oecd pumps out an amazing amount of bullshit reports that says nothing, other than raise taxes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:26 pm

What i see in chile is there is a very stuborn say 10% at the bottom, that really has nothing to do with lack of economic opertunity. It is a social structural sort of poverty, that requires a more advanced and expensive investment. For example, better access to alcohole and drug treatment programs. Better family social services, etc, etc. Better early childhood education programs. Better programs to control teen pregnancy. Bigger push to get women in the work force, and get them equal pay once they get there.

Not the kind of poverty you fix just by cutting people a check. But, just getting to the point of dealling with that stuborn type of poverty is a major acomplishment. Lots of developed countries have not figured it out either.

One that i think would go a long way to getting lots of people out of poverty, better basic financial education. Billions of people around the world are victims of a capitialist open market game, that no one has stopped to teach them the rules of the game that determines their life. Even if it is rigged against them, at least they should understand how it is rigged against them.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:02 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:26 pm
What i see in chile is there is a very stuborn say 10% at the bottom, that really has nothing to do with lack of economic opertunity. It is a social structural sort of poverty, that requires a more advanced and expensive investment. For example, better access to alcohole and drug treatment programs. Better family social services, etc, etc. Better early childhood education programs. Better programs to control teen pregnancy. Bigger push to get women in the work force, and get them equal pay once they get there.

Not the kind of poverty you fix just by cutting people a check. But, just getting to the point of dealling with that stuborn type of poverty is a major acomplishment. Lots of developed countries have not figured it out either.

One that i think would go a long way to getting lots of people out of poverty, better basic financial education. Billions of people around the world are victims of a capitialist open market game, that no one has stopped to teach them the rules of the game that determines their life. Even if it is rigged against them, at least they should understand how it is rigged against them.
Yeah agree, it's like you will never get below an unemployment rate of say 2 percent, because there are some that are unemployable. It is a problem that every country struggles with, most just put it in the too hard basket.
Education is key, education on how and where people fit into the society they live in. They don't understand the rules of the game and don't understand their responsibilities in the game either. For example It's all very well to bitch and moan that the muni hasn't picked the trash up and now the street dogs are getting into it (I hear this constantly on the local Radio station, when people send messages in) I suppose the first question is ? What are any of those people doing to reduce their own amount of waste and how many dogs have they let go on the street ? It's all very well for people to rage about anything and everything but sometimes they need to question their behaviour first. And I guess that comes back to education, there is the problem, how do you teach people those things, like don't drink your pay check away and have nothing left for your family, dont let your dog roam the streets causing other people trouble, don't have sex without contraception if you don't want a kid, don't bash your girlfriend, is it even possible ? Or do we just have to accept the will always be a sector if society that can't think for themselves or use common sense ?
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:44 am

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:31 pm

So here is a survey by jpmoron, regarding best place in latin america to invest.

https://www.df.cl/noticias/mercados/mer ... 13621.html

I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

I really should keep a running file of how often they flip their investment advise. 6 months ago they were saying chile was over priced and to invest in argentina.

That survey is still calling for argentina as the second best. Argentina's disaster is just getting going.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:29 am

I was thinking if i had to rank say top 5 to 10 latin american countries to invest in (investment, not living), it would be:

1. Chile (obviously).

2. Colombia (decades of war has supressed their growth, lot of up side)

3. Peru (have my doubts about their corruption problems, but so far so good).

4. Mexico (1,100 politicians assainated this year, but size and proximity to the u.s. will always keep mexicis economy growing)

5. Brazil (size matters, but corruption will always be an issue)

6. Panama (they got a big ditch ).

Not sure what else. Argentina if they had a total overhaul of their constitution.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:57 am

admin wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:29 am
I was thinking if i had to rank say top 5 to 10 latin american countries to invest in (investment, not living), it would be:

1. Chile (obviously).

4. Mexico (1,100 politicians assainated this year, but size and proximity to the u.s. will always keep mexicis economy growing)

Not sure what else. Argentina if they had a total overhaul of their constitution.
Uraguay ?

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 am

admin wrote:

You are worried about the politicians??
Outside of war zones, Mexico is the most dangerous place for journalists
Dec 21, 2017

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-ame ... story.html
Mexico is one of the world's most dangerous places for journalists.
Mexico was only second to Syria in the number of journalists killed in 2017.
May.15.2018

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mex ... re-n874091

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 am

admin wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:29 am

1. Chile (obviously).

If I ran a page like investopedia I would hope I could keep it a little bit more up to date than they can at present, I wondered how others ranked countries in Latin America for investment so did a search, they rank Chile highly, which is fair enough, but after two glaring mistakes in the first minute of reading, regarding corporate tax rates in Chile and the US and exports from Chile I decided to stop reading, it's not as if that information just changed last week.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i ... merica.asp

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Frigen msci just included argentina in the emerging market index. Really?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 pm

I was wondering too why Argentina has such a good international PR while being in crisis for decades. Like newbie emigrants often ask "Chile or Argentina or Uruguay?"

Maybe it has something to do with Argentinians being loudly proud of their "European" country while Chileans constantly saying that theirs is a crime-ridden shithole.