Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 am

Mixed feelings about the attention chile is gstting from the vultures.

But.... bloomberg this morning:
bloomber.jpg
bloomber.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 394 times
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 am

Chile to bring in a tax on digital platforms, IVA by the sounds of it so expect your Netflix and Spotify etc to go up. Again it's another "problem of our times" many countries seem to be struggling with how to deal with these technologies and it's the consumer that ends up paying eventually, much like tarrifs and trade wars. I see Australia tried it recently and Amazon basically said F U and closed down their US store to Australians.
How the tax is collected seems to be an issue as the tech companies don't want to collect it for all the different governments.
https://money.usnews.com/investing/news ... e-minister
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 pm

They're already collecting them in the EU. All the software and digital services have a VAT there.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Well the u.s. supream court just ruled the states have to it, so they are probably just going to have suck it up.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 pm
They're already collecting them in the EU. All the software and digital services have a VAT there.
I can imagine they do, everyone else seems to lack the will or capapilities to deal with the big tech firms it seems, you can call the EU bureaucratic or whatever else you like but lately they are the only ones that seem to be putting some rules to counter some of the power of the behemoths and what are turning into natural monolopolies in the tech sector.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:11 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm
Well the u.s. supream court just ruled the states have to it, so they are probably just going to have suck it up.
Yeah, they have been pushing their luck a bit too much over the last few years, making hay while the sun shone I guess, monopolies (which they pretty much are now) are not good, they learnt nothing in the 90s with microsoft ? Trump has made his displeasure known of Amazon, there is probably more regulation and other things to come I wouldnt mind betting

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:06 pm
Space Cat wrote:
I can imagine they do, everyone else seems to lack the will or capapilities to deal with the big tech firms it seems, you can call the EU bureaucratic or whatever else you like but lately they are the only ones that seem to be putting some rules to counter some of the power of the behemoths and what are turning into natural monolopolies in the tech sector.
Amazon has been collecting taxes and duties for the Chilean government as well for a while now. At check-out, no less. So it's not an issue of big all-powerful EU government vs small incapable Chilean one :)

I'm sure it's worth the effort for Amazon as well, coz who knows how long they sit on the money collected before they actually pay it to Chile.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:11 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm
Yeah, they have been pushing their luck a bit too much over the last few years, making hay while the sun shone I guess, monopolies (which they pretty much are now) are not good, they learnt nothing in the 90s with microsoft ? Trump has made his displeasure known of Amazon, there is probably more regulation and other things to come I wouldnt mind betting
Google and FB are times more dangerous than Microsoft because they can actually control the public opinion and remove things they don't like from the Internet. Microsoft was just a greedy B2B monopoly back then.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm
41southchile wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:06 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Amazon has been collecting taxes and duties for the Chilean government as well for a while now. At check-out, no less. So it's not an issue of big all-powerful EU government vs small incapable Chilean one :)

I'm sure it's worth the effort for Amazon as well, coz who knows how long they sit on the money collected before they actually pay it to Chile.
Yeah actually you are right, they do collect taxes on Amazon site don't they . So what is the commercial/sector really moaning about here then I Wonder ??Sot must be for things like Spotify and Netflix, do they have IVA ?
Na I wasn't really comparing the EU to Chile it was more to other western countries and issues that have arisin such as privacy through data collection, manipulating public opinion, etc etc etc, but come to think of it a bit more they really have only done a couple of things in the grand scheme of things anyway, but I suppose that's better than nothing.
But in saying that the whole business model for the big technology companies has been a free for all and exploit anything and everything as much as they can till the old farts that make laws even work out what they are up to.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:07 am

Another Chile will soon crash article:

Right on time: A new global debt crisis has begun
James Rickards
The Daily Reckoning
Thu, 21 Jun 2018 00:00 UTC

https://dailyreckoning.com/a-new-global ... has-begun/
Ukraine, South Africa and Chile are also highly vulnerable to a run on their reserves and a default on their external dollar-denominated debt.
A full-blown EM debt crisis is coming soon. It is likely to start in Turkey, Argentina or Venezuela, but it won't end there. The panic will quickly affect Ukraine, Chile, Poland, South Africa and the other weak links in the chain.
Personally, I think Rickards is a shill under alternative news cover for the Deep State.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:50 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:07 am

James Rickards
The Daily Reckoning

Ukraine, South Africa and Chile are also highly vulnerable to a run on their reserves and a default on their external dollar-denominated debt.
A full-blown EM debt crisis is coming soon. It is likely to start in Turkey, Argentina or Venezuela, but it won't end there. The panic will quickly affect Ukraine, Chile, Poland, South Africa and the other weak links in the chain.
Personally, I think Rickards is a shill under alternative news cover for the Deep State.
Yep. How many of his calls for gold to shoot up through the roof never materialized?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:25 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:07 am

James Rickards
The Daily Reckoning

I have bern seeing this bullshit all over the place where they try to lump chile in with the rest of the nasket cases.

Not a single one. Not one, has provided an argument with any evidence as to why chile is vulneriable. It is just like the bullshit a few years ago where a bunch of idiots were trying to say chile was part of the fragile five. Everytime they do it, they just burn their own creditability.

There are however finally some investment notes being issued that chile is not as vulerable as other em countries.